They work better than a stick of dynamite

Bill kizer

They work better than a stick of dynamite

Post by Bill kizer »

Has anyone tried these two baits. If so, how do you rig them, how do you fish them and do they really work?
1. Reaction Innovations Trixie series, smallie beaver 3.5 and Zoom Horney toad.
I was talked into buying these, but when I tried them out in my pool, (No Bassbones I didn't get the pool sweep this time) My impression is, they looked like a hunk of plastic being drug through the water.
Bill
ttb31183

Trixie Shad and Smallie Beaver

Post by ttb31183 »

The trixie shad is a great bait that you can fish a few different ways. I rig it with a 5/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook. You can fish it fast on top of the water like a buzzbait. The tail makes a great buzzing action on the surface. You can also let it fall and flutter like you would with a zoom fluke. Retieving it fast along the surface and then letting it fall every once in a while is what worked best for me, watch your line as it falls because this is when alot of strikes occur. I also had success fishing it with a pegged bullet weight with the same hook to catch bedding fish. When it sits on the bed vertically the tail dances really well if you barely move your rod. Try it next spring, it works great. The only color I have used is pearl white (white trash is what they call it).
The smallie beaver works great as a picthing bait with a 2/0 EWG and a pegged 1/8oz weight. I pitch it into the same places I pitch tubes, docks, brush, grass pockets, rocks. It works really well, my favorite color is roadkill. I have also caught a bunch of smallmouth on this bait mojo rigging. I use the 1/4 oz slipshot system.
I just bought some horny toads and have only used them once. Some earlier posts recommended a 3/0 EWG hook. The baits you purchased are all great, take some time to get used to using them and you will catch fish. Hope this helps.
Tyler Brinks
Gator

Bill - I have used both....

Post by Gator »

The HT and the Trixie.....

I rig the HT as is recommended - through the middle - and fish it somewhat like a frog - until it hits open water - then I swim it underwater.

The trixie I rig like a jerkbait - and fish it like one.

I have had succes on both. They are by no means my go to baits but I have caught fish on both.
Bill kizer

Re: They work better than a stick of dynamite

Post by Bill kizer »

Thanks for the quick replies, just enough time to get in a few more casts to see how they work.
I'll try them Tuesday and see what happens.
Thanks again,
Bill