Nutcase needs some advice on steering wheel removal (HELP!!)

Pil9rotten

Nutcase needs some advice on steering wheel removal (HELP!!)

Post by Pil9rotten »

I have to replace my steering wheel and have been trying to figure out how to take off the old one. I removed the spindle retaining nut and it won't come off. The hole where the wheel connects to the spindle is tapered (wide at the bottom and narrow at the top) and I don't see anything that is keeping it from sliding off; its on there solid. I looked behind the console and nothing there that looks like it would release the wheel. The wheel and steering gear is called a teleflex Safe T Steer. I rented a puller but the wheel has nothing for the puller bolts to grab onto and the puller itself is narrower than the cavity containing the spindle. I don't see a "key pin" like automotive wheels so I am absolutely stuck. Anyone ever took one of these apart?

Thanks,

Kenji
NelsonG

Re: Nutcase needs some advice on steering wheel removal (HEL

Post by NelsonG »

Kenji,
If you have a brass, or lead hammer, you can reinstall the nut untill it is flush with the end of the shaft threads. Then as you are putting upwards pressure on the wheel by pulling on it , or pushing up with your knees, give it a good straight hit on the end of the shaft.
If you have a buddy to help it would be easier, but I do it this way very often by myself at my shop.
An air hammer with a flat surface to push against the shaft works even better if you have one.
Make sure you hit the end of the shaft very squarely or you may damage the threads.
You could use a piece of aluminum plate or block to protect the threads.
Good luck with your project,
Nelson Gong
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

You mean you still haven't gotten that darned thing off since last years Rally..How have you and yours been doing..Hope everything else is a-ok..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Pil9rotten

Post by Pil9rotten »

Hey Mac,

The dealer in Rhonert Park took forever to get the part. After 5 months, he lost my order so I wrote it off after he finally told me that he had no record of my order or payment. I ended up losing the money and he lost a customer. I ended up calling Tracker and bought it from BPS. Then I moved to Burlingame and have been helping my fiance start her daycare business. It's been crazy as hell. I just moved the silver bullet to the new place last weekend so have started tinkering again. I also retired from the Coast Guard this past November.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Congratulations on your retirement..I spent 26 with the Navy and know it will seem strange for a while not reporting for duty, but you do get accustomed to it..I wish you and your lady a ton of success..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

Hey hows it going,
You need a gear pully, it looks like a 3 or 4 legged crab, not a steering wheel pully a gear pully, the gear pully grabs onto the back of the steering wheel mount and the bolt in the middle of the steering wheel pulling tightens down and pushes down on the middle main steering wheel bolt, as it pushes down it pulls the steering wheel off. I have the same kind of steering wheel.

I will be putting a new steering wheel on my Ranger this summer because the middle plug came out of my steering wheel, its just cosmedic but it ugly with out it, it somewhere at the bottom of Clear Lake:)
David 371V Rogers
Pil9rotten

Post by Pil9rotten »

I'll go to Autozone in the morning and swap out the wheel puller and see if it works.

I did Jerry rig the wheel puller and put some torque on it but it didnt budge. I cut a piece of wood that was a tad longer that what the wheel measures across, drilled a hole in the middle and put the puller plate under the wood then clamped it to the wheel. Like I said There was some torque but no movement. Don't these tapered shafts have somekind of a key or wedge thingy in them somewhere that locks everything together?

This thing is kicking my rear end.

I'll let you know how it goes. This isn't rocket science but I know if I get all ape-like with it, I'll end up paying tons of cash to replace everything.

Thanks,

Kenji
Pil9rotten

Post by Pil9rotten »

I did 27 although 13 was active and the last 14 were Reserve. My last unit was a specialized expeditionary warfare unit and it was a young guys game. Too many injuries so I decided to throw in the towell. I don't regret a miniute of it except I never had the opportunity to deploy and personally get some payback for 9-1-1. I'll do whatever I can to support our troops and fight evil right here at home (code pink-o and the useless"I hate everything about America crowd").

TTYL,

Kenji
Pil9rotten

Post by Pil9rotten »

Well, I tried the gear puller and there is nothing on the back side of the wheel for it grab on to and noting in the front. This is kicking my butt. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I am frusterated.
Mule

Post by Mule »

I had trouble pulling my steering wheel this winter. I tried a wheel puller, hammers, and cussing, but nothing seemed to work.

Finally I cut some wedges out of oak that where about 5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide tapering from 1/2 inch thick to a point. Put oil all over them (important) and placed one above and one below the spindle. Started tapping with my mallet and it poped right off. I cant describe the feeling of that steering wheel finally comming off.
Pil9rotten

Re: Nutcase needs some advice on steering wheel removal

Post by Pil9rotten »

I know the feeling. :x

I feel like I have been giving birth all week. :shock:

I finally got it off thanks to all the feedback from you guys. We ended up sawing the wheel off the hub then cut notches in the hub so the gear puller had something to get a bite on. My buddy provided a second set of hands and after a few cranks the wheel popped right off. :D

I can't possiby fathom how any boat manufacturer would think to use a wheel that can't be pulled without going thru hell carrying a bucket of gas! :twisted: