Boat Batteries...

R.Cook

Boat Batteries...

Post by R.Cook »

I am running two Kirkland (Costco brand) batteries. They are the biggest ones that they had, and I also just replaced them a month ago. I was having problems with the older ones not really lasting all day on a windy day. I have now noticed with the newer ones if I stay on the trolling motor pretty good, they will start draining down by about 2:00 p.m. Any sugguestions on a battery that will last longer on a rough day?
Skeeterman

Re: Boat Batteries...

Post by Skeeterman »

Trojans or Daul pros.
rdesmangles

Post by rdesmangles »

Right on Skeeterman...I am a Trojan Man! Charlie at Battery Systems in West Sac. will hook you up with the best batteries for your rig. These Trojans last forever!
http://www.legalshield.com/hub/rdesmangles
duckhuntr07

Post by duckhuntr07 »

I just recently went through this same issue. I was using 2 size 24 Wal Mart (never-start) batts and there was a lot of guys on here with good advice.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Do I want to spend $180-$200 each on the top of the line batts or do I want to spend $100 each or less and get the next closest runner up.

If you're up to the buck-80 or more each call the guys In Sacramento at 916 997 2327 and buy one of the north star batteries they offer. The Trojans are supposed to be good as well and the guys at battery systems in Modesto are helpful also.

[url]http://www.batterysystems.net/

The Ranger dealer in Modesto sells Dekka batts also and they are not quite so high priced. I've heard they are good.

A lot of guys recommended AC Delco batts as affordable and higher quality than the kirklands and/or never start also.

Trojan (battery systems) does offer a model that is around $100 each and the guys at Nor Cal batteres in Stockton sell Interstates for about $100. I understand the Hook in Oakley sells the Delco's at an affordable price also.

I bought P&E batteries from Fishrmans Warehouse in Manteca and I was able to move up from size 24's up to 27's and so far it's made a huge difference.

Hope this helps.........Good luck.
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

stop fishing at 1:30..... just kidding. Gene at the hook suggested that i try the AC Delco 30's. I bought 2 at $140.00each and have been running them for almost 3 years now with not one issue. I run there batteries for 2 day tournys on the Delta without a charge in between days and have yet to run them down. Yes there is a draw back to these batteries... they are heavy and did slow my boat down (SKeeter zx200) about 3 mph top end, so insteed of running 70mph i run 67... i think its worth it.
LL
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

R Cook
Is your batteries group 27, 30, or 31? The larger the capacity the longer you will run. Next is how long are you charging your batteries. You have to remember that if you do not charge them long enough, the capacity will not be there (like not enough gas in the tank). If you want more info, shoot me an e-mail, I have an article that I wrote that I can e-mail you back.

JLS (Jay Liu’s Service) Trolling motor repair
bustout

Post by bustout »

also, after a full days fishing and drained batteries...be sure to charge them immediately....if you let dead or drained batteries sit , the lifetime will be reduced
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

Mr. Cook.

Yeah last year this time I too was having a problem with my new fully charged batteries going bad before noon time while I was looking for those bass that are doing the "wild thing".

How I fixed my problem was going to a 36 volt system. Yeah new trolling motor and a extra battery is costly but after seeing the difference in the two I felt that extra cost was a small price to pay. It's the idea and state of mind that you don't have to worry about those batteries going out before your done fishing that day.

Okay... too costly??....... then since the batteries are only a month old check and make sure both batteries are good, and have water in them..... (see Don)...... he will help you with this......

Next make sure you charge each of your batteries at 10 amps then keep them at a trickle charge after this. The bigger the battery the more life you will have per charge but if you're not getting a full charge then you'll never have your batteries topped out, over time this will ruin your batteries life.

There is one more way to make your 24 volt system work all day long. You go buy two more batteries install them into your boat and wire the four batteries at 24 votls to your trolling motor. This will probably the least expensive way as long as you have enough room for two more batteries in your boat. This is always the biggest factor when trying to add two more batteries.

Signed
MR....... Cueball......
CORAL 96

Post by CORAL 96 »

My choice would be an AGM. You could go with Optima or even over at Cabelas they have their brand of AGM that is a good battery. Nice thing about the AGM's is that they are safer, lighter, and last longer than the normal battery. Yes, the price is more, but with some of our tighter battery spaces, sometimes you get what you pay for!!! 8)
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

Hey Ryan, I am running Interstates marine batteries. The last 3 I had lasted about 4yrs and run great all day. They are a little expensive but worth it. Just got some new ones on board if you wanted to check them out.
R.Cook

Post by R.Cook »

Thanks everyone...
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

Ryan, call Norval Pimentel, tell him to get you the same group 31 batteries I just bought, they are the best battery I've ever used!

Hardshell