rain on my trolling motor, wont turn off

green weenie

rain on my trolling motor, wont turn off

Post by green weenie »

Hi all,

Got some rain on my trolling motor (MG) and now it keeps coming on in variable speed. Starts slow and slowly increases speed. I can step on the switch and it will turn off but then pops right back on a few minutes/seconds later. Still doing it today since Saturday's rain. I thought it would dry out. What gives?? Wes
GW

Re: rain on my trolling motor, wont turn off

Post by GW »

The switch has water in it. Gene at the hook can get you a new one. Its easy to change yourself too.

For the time being, try spraying some WD-40 in the switch and see if it stops it.
Byron

Post by Byron »

Rain ???? Please describe that for me. :o
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

Totally dry it - - - -using a small heater won't hurt and clean w/ sandpaper all connections you can get to. When drying, I disconnected the foot pedal to shake all water out and get the drying inside- - - - that fixes it. I've done this twice. ALWAYS carry a spare switch as it changes in less than five minutes and far more than just a little water inside can go wrong w/ it.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

Green weenie
After you dry the switch or replace it, then when you go out to fish, and it starts to rain, put a plastic bag or shower cap over the foot pedal, this will prevent water getting into the switch.

JLS (Jay Liu's Service) trolling motor repair.
BILLYS

Post by BILLYS »

JLS, If you have a tray for the T/M , will water building up in it cause you trouble also?
TEAM FATBOY.