Line

Mike Kontes

Line

Post by Mike Kontes »

Friends,

What kind of line should I be throwing for the silver submarines right now the delta?

What do you recommend for spook rig and a fish trap rig?

I have used mono forever, but do not want to lose a fish of a life time and still want to castability.

Thanks,

Mike
JustinD

Re: Line

Post by JustinD »

Topwater linesdiers require braid. IMHO of course. Looking for the fight of a lifetime.
LL South
Mike Kontes

Post by Mike Kontes »

What kind of braid for topwater?

What about for Rat-l-traps & Fish traps?

Mike
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

65-80 lb. braid for everything linesider related. Best for rattle traps cause you can rip it from the weeds better. Plus big stripers have sharp teeth and they bite thru mono.
LL South
Burke

Post by Burke »

Mike,

I've lost a lot of stripers when I was using P-line because their teeth cut through the line. I currently use Power Pro 50lb braid for stripers and haven't lost a fish yet to line breaking.

Also, what's nice about braid is that there is no give in the line when you need to set the hook. I threw a 3/4 oz Rat L Trap about 80 ft yesterday and, as soon as the trap hit the water, a 8lb striper hit it. I was able to set the hook and bring it in.

As JustinD mentioned, braid rips through weed great. I was running my trap through some weeds yesterday when a 4+ lb bass hit it. Was able to pull the bass out of the weeds without any trouble.

(I'll send you an e-mail later today when I get off work.)
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I'm using 80# Gorilla braid on ALL my topwater baits for stripers. When I'm tossing the LC DD100 jerkbaits, the Big Hammer paddle tailed swimbaits, Rodstrainer Shim jigs(hair raisers) or Duh Spoons, nothing less than Stren 25# Fluorocarbon line! I've never had a striper break this Stren Fluoro in the two seasons I've used it now.