"GPS module not responding"????

Grape Ape

"GPS module not responding"????

Post by Grape Ape »

I had just replaced the receiver on my Lowrance setup about 2 weeks ago and went fishing. It was replaced basically for cosmetic reasons. Anyway, I had no trouble that first day at all...worked like a champ. The next 2 times out I couldn't get my GPS to work for a few hours. I kept getting the error message "GPS MODULE NOT RESPONDING". A few people told me to check all my connections.....I had already done this and found then snug. This past Saturday at the weigh in I overheard someone say they had the same problem and he blamed it on the satellites.

On both occasions once it started to work properly it was fine the rest of the day. Is it a problem with my receiver or the satellites? When I need my GPS the most it's not working (at least on my last 2 trips out). Anyone else having this problem?
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Bill K

Re: "GPS module not responding"????

Post by Bill K »

I would give the Lowrance service center a call and see what they tell you, if you have checked all connections and wireing, then it could be in the unit body. Try your old GPS attenna again and see if the unit goes back to working (Since you said replacement was for cosmetic purpose's, the old one must have been working) then it could just be a bad attenna, even if new. A matter of elimination.
BIll K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Timber_Effects

Post by Timber_Effects »

I had the same problem with my 520. I tried everything befcore I finally just said "screw it!" then I took the guy out that I bought it from (who works at a tackle shop in san jose) and he talked to the Lowrance guys. They gave him a new (improved) antenna for me. It has worked like a charm ever since then. I would call Lowrance and talk to them about exchanging your antenna.

good luck Grape Ape :D

ps: this was a brand new unit out of the box. I did try another antenna out of another box, it didn't work either. It wasn't until they sent me a new one from Lowrance that it started to work.
Dean Ziemer
http://www.DeltaBassTactics.com
http://bioedgefishing.com/
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Thanks........I'll give Lowrance a call this morning. I do not have the old one....I had to send it to Lowrance for the replacement.
Harry Markarian

USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

make sure you do not have the waas box selected, then try.
NelsonG

Post by NelsonG »

I saw a guy with the same problem. After lots of button pushing it was just the recievers power connection. make sure it is still solid.
Good luck, Nelson
Make every day a good day!
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

I called Lowrance and they walked me through a voltage check. It checked good. They told me to reconnect the antenna and try it. Worked like it was suppose to. They said to check it out for a few days and if it reoccurs to send the antenna back to them for a replacement but, they believe the connector was not tight. We'll see. Thanks guys.
Harry Markarian

USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Timber_Effects

Post by Timber_Effects »

Happy it worked out for ya GA, now you need to give me all those secret GPS spots!!! lol

Dean Ziemer
http://www.DeltaBassTactics.com
http://bioedgefishing.com/
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

Wise men STILL seek Him....
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

my lms480 did it in a fish off at havasu. i had 100 marks on different habitats that i couldnt go to. It was the fuse. if it happens again check the connection at the fuse.
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Hey Timber....your "dating" yourself ! Love the graphic.
Harry Markarian

USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

In nearly every case the message "GPS Module not responding" is due to a power issue. The module must be powered either directly or through a NMEA2000 network. Some of the older antennas had issues but with the newer 2000 and 3000 models, problems can usually be traced to power connections. If it were a problem with the satelite you'd get a different message such as "Cannot lock on" or something like that.

NoCAL