Swimbaits for stripers

midwesttransplant

Swimbaits for stripers

Post by midwesttransplant »

I have read on a couple of the postings about using swimbaits for stripers. Which swimbaits work the best? I am completely new to this striper thing. I have been able to get the shakers to bite, the largest I have been able to boat is only 20". I have been using rattle traps and rapalas so far. Any other ideas of how to catch a 10+ pounder would be much appreciated.
If I call in sick, I am probably on the Delta.
Wipn_bass24_7

Re: Swimbaits for stripers

Post by Wipn_bass24_7 »

we like using the 3/4 oz head with a BIG Hammer swimbait preferably in white and maybe add a little chart. line over the body. If not big hammer, try some other brand. The bigger the swimbait, kinda catches bigger fish but i do get a few shakers here and there.
midwesttransplant

I have a BIG Spro silver minnow. Is that too big?
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Lunker Punker....topwater swimbait.....
LL South
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

MWSP,

The most inexpensive way to load your boat for stripers with known baits, here's a list

Pencil Popper
Saltwater Zara Spook
1/4 to 1/2oz White Hair jigs/ buy some white and chartruse Trailers
Theres a jig out call a shimmer jig??????

For the unlimited credit card>
Lunker Punker in Delta Shiner, White,
MS Slammers
Baitsmith (Sinks)
Shellcracker

Most all of the above, I recommend you change the hooks out to owners 1/0 or 2/0. Rings on some of the brands above also.

Justin D, and Hippie can also add to this list or give excellent recommendations as always they do.

These baits above mentioned are mostly going after large fish with the intention of hooking 20+ fish. 30-40lbs if your lucky will hold them without stripping out the o-rings or straighting the hooks.

Know for breaking them in half on the actual hit, thats another story. (Only the PP and Zara's)

Good Luck, going out right know too get my artery's cleaned out.

Rich Thiel
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

Just to spice it up a little I went to BPS and got some of their Laser Eyes saltwater tackle pencil poppers and for 5 bucks they rock and if you lose them oh well. Something thats fun also is to throw something (Barely legal Vixen with larger hooks) out on light line and fight it out.....Man thats fun. I truely believe when the plastic rattlin' Punkers are out they are gonna dominate the striper realm. Espically if this cloudy weather holds.....
LL South
midwesttransplant

Thanks for the info. I am going out this weekend to give these suggestions a shot.

How long does the striper fishing continue to be good for around Frank's?
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I've got them on a number of different swimbaits. I tend to lean towards the less expensive as the bigger stripers will absolutely destroy you high dollar lures. So stick with the more cost effective baits like the Fish Trap, Hammers, the variety of Storm wild eye swimbaits, etc.

Stick with simple colors - white, shad and rainbow trout.

Hope this helps!

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films