Post by gt5bass »

Me thinks they are going to be need lots of boaters for a long time :shock:

They ain't getting my money!
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
rickd

Re: B.A.S.S. in Oct on Clear Lake

Post by rickd »

Haven't got mine yet either...

I'm pissed at BASS but my points are pretty good and may have a shot IF I draw a good pro!
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

The way I see it is that nobody wants to fish it because BASS is, well... BASS! The way they seem to have turned their back on the west coast has disillusioned alot of the anglers out here. So now they are "eager" for boats to fill their slots :cry:. Hmmm, gotta wonder why :roll:! When nobody shows up, I'm sure they will use it to further their agenda that western anglers are at fault for why BASS does not promote the west...
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Gator

Dang CJ.

Post by Gator »

You gotta stop holdin your feelings in.....

I'll share with you my opinions over a beer or 4.

Talk to you later
bassmonster

Post by bassmonster »

My feeling exactly.
Gator

I would.....

Post by Gator »

but I leave on Monday for a week of chasing Bambi. Will be back on the second, then leave for the East Coast on the 6th. Will be there for three weeks.

Have fun slaying 'em, wish I could make it but......
JT-Madera

Re: B.A.S.S. @ Clearlake, YADA<YADA>YADA!!!

Post by JT-Madera »

CJ, While you are entitled to your opinion as to whether too fish BASS ever again!!

The attack on whether Gary can speak only positive opinions based upon your definiation of positive - negetive is over the top!!!

Although I have my own opinions on Gary "no one's business but my own" he has earned the right and respect in this forum to say anything he thinks is approreate...

I have fished many BASS Invitationals and Opens as a PRO, in the past, however I wouldn't waste a nickle if it would help BASS after it deserted the WEST...

We need to support the tournaments that support anglers in the West..

Until BASS wakes from its sleep and attempts to help Western anglers as they do the Deep South they will no longer get any of my support..

If any of my sponsers insisted that i fish a certain tournament that i personally thought was nonresponsive to the Western anglers needs "I would have the balls to dump them"

I was really supprised to hear that BASS still needed 40 boats....I thought they would be lucky to draw 40 boats.. There must be a lot of anglers who think they are on a HOT bite!!!!

I wish you luck at the tournament CJ but leave the personal attacks in the computer!!!!

Respect is Earned....thru experence and should never be freely given..

Gator, thanks for removing the bad post by Bassmonster....

just my .02

JT-Madera
Bob Simard

Well -

Post by Bob Simard »

First of all, You're fishing next month at Clearlake? Good, it will - not might - be the last there for a while, if ever.

However, regarding ESPN's decision to leave Cali and the West Coast off the schedule, you haven't got a clue what this means to the few full and many part time West Coast Pros who work in the bass fishing business, be it tournaments, sponsorship commitments, etc. While you're rubbing elbows with them next month at the Pond, I'd recommend having a discussion with one or more of them about Don Rucks and ESPN's decision and its impact on them and their familys before calling them out here in a public forum.

Regards,

Bob Simard
sTony

Re: Well -

Post by sTony »

Thanks Bob,

I've patiently sat back waiting for one of those guys directly effected by the recent BASS decisions to come on here and make the statement you've made. Again, thanks for doing so.

This will likely be the last time we'll see a BASS Open event on Clear Lake or the Delta for some time to come if ever again and all that's left once this one is done is Shasta. These decisions not only have a harsh inpact on pro and am anglers who've supported the Opens but it will hurt the many businesses that depended on them and communities that also laid out a lot of cash to these guys to bring them here.

While I understand that some are anxious to compete in the final events for a great many of the anglers it'll be two events with a lot of mixed emotions as once the Shasta event is done it'll mark the end of an era of competing in BASS Open events.

Interestingly enough, it would seem that, by making these alterations to its structure, BASS has made itself into a very regional organization no longer serving the nation and no longer serving a huge group of subscribers and members. I have little interest in watching their programming knowing that guys and gals out West will have to bend over backwards and travel across the country to attempt to compete in their events. It's a hardship that frankly makes little to no sense at all. It also labels our sport as having an extremely regional interest when in fact the sport and the greater industry is supported very well in the Western United States.

And lost in all this is that these same decisions might have a damaging effect on each and every state federation in the West as well. I hear of many folks that have burned up their BASS subscriptions which means we might see fewer competitors at the Federation level this coming season as well.

I'd wish each and every competitor a great event at Clear Lake and I feel for those that really will endure the pains of the loss of competing in this circuit in 2006.

sTony
sTony

And CJ...

Post by sTony »

There was once a time that the Opens did cover more then just California. It used to encompass sites like Elephant Butte in New Mexico, the Columbia River is Washington/Oregon, Lake Powell in Utah/Arizona. It was BASS that dwindled it down to just California.

You're buying way too much into the BASS rhetoric my friend and I gotta wonder out loud how long you've been at this as a pro to come up with some of your assertions that you have.

sTony
Bob Simard

Post by Bob Simard »

Let's hope we all get a chance to ask Mr Rukes what his "Plans for the West" are next month at Clearlake.

Otherwise, hitch up your trailer come Feb and head East to Florida because you don't just pay your money to get into a Major or the Classic - you qualify. and the neither the tourney trail nor the Opens come here no more Pardner. cept for the Fed that is.... and that's a long, hard road.

Regards,

Bob Simard
Dewayne

CJ

Post by Dewayne »

The opinion shared by Gary is one that many people share. Check the paybacks from the Delta event and the Northern Open which was the same size. BASS has ticked off everyone from their weekend anglers to the Tour Pros. They change formats more than anyone can keep up with. They are working hard at sinking the ship.

Yes, I am fishing this event as I love Clear Lake this time of the year. I got a call from BASS leting me know I had forgoten to pay the ballance of my entry last week. I was told that in the future I would be charged an extra $50 if I was late. I informed Sara that I did not think that was a problem as BASS will not be out West any longer and I do not plan on fishing any more BASS events at this time. She said they might be back. Sure does make me miss the FLW system that automatically charges your credit card for the ballence on the ballence due date.

Who cares if BASS leaves again! BASS has always treated the West as a step child. Their sponsors want them in the West, but they do not believe in the West and make half hearted attemps at a pressence in the West.

If you have not fished an EverStart yet, give it a try and you may be shocked at how much better they are run. All anglers are treated well. They have shown they are commited to making the West work.
Dewayne
Bob Simard

Post by Bob Simard »

Regarding "Clue" - I was refering to the impact(s) the decision BASS made pulling out of the West Coast and the financial impact / ramifications outside the scope of actual tournaments on WestCoast anglers.... e.g. sponsorship concerns, etc. Perhaps you are a sponsored guy without and issues. My mistake.

Glad to hear you're so dialed into the Pond and her many moods. I'll have a boat to look for / follow in Prefish - and maybe we'll both cut checks!

Regards,

Bob Simard
Bob Simard

06 Everstart Schedule published yet?

Post by Bob Simard »

Hey Dewayne,

Well put -

Has Everstart posted next year's schedule? I can't find it on the www site.

Regards,

Bob
Mike Baskett

Re: And CJ...

Post by Mike Baskett »

So what business model is BASS trying to figure out? I ask this because you say you are looking at it. I think many of us low level fisherman who have seen the good(the past),the bad(the purchase by ESPN), and the ugly(ESPN's butchering) of BASS would like to know what it is.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Best of luck with your decision to go pro CJ. I know a lot of pro anglers that are wondering why you'd leave such lucrative financial postions to chase bass fishing but rest assured if BASS is the way you intend to go then be prepared to not be in California very often in the future.

I do hope that all the time spent on Clear Lake serves you well in the tournament.

sTony
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Whats the date, whats the entry fee. and who do I contact at what telephone number?

Jim

PS I do think that Gary will say what ever he wants. His sponsors will make their decisions about it. Knowing what I know about Gary I doubt that he will change his ways even slightly.
He and I are birds of a feather in that respect.
sTony

Post by sTony »

CJ - You're entitled to your opinion, whether or not I agree with it. I wish you the best in the event.

sTony
Last edited by sTony on Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MN

Post by MN »

CJ did you happen to catch the story this weekend on OLN that featured kvd and how he prepared for an event.I hope your family does not mind you being gone for qiute some time.He spent two week's straight away from his family just to fish one event and many times he stated this aint that much fun.And as far as BASS they can kiss my BASS.Good luck in what ever you do though.
Nozmo King

Post by Nozmo King »

Mr. Bassbones, I'm not quite clear on why you think of BASS as Gary's employer? It seems to me that, if anything, his sponsors are his "employers." BASS provides a vehicle for him to represent his sponsors, but he's not really a BASS employee. If that weren't the case, then I'd agree with you. It reminds me of something Joe Garagiola once said - "When you take someone's money, you also take their ****."

Also, given that BASS is now owned by ESPN, they might not actually be too upset over Gary's comments. They seem to be courting controversy as a means to heighten interest in the pro side of the sport. They are in the sports entertainment business. That's one of the reasons I found Jay Yelas's comments to be rather naive. They're trying to attract a television audience, & whether folks like it or not, they need controversial personalities. Sort of like tennis - wasn't it more fun back in the days of Jimmy Connors & John MacInroe? (And you can tell I'm not much of a tennis fan - I don't even know how to spell MacInroe's last name.)

Although some out there may long for the days of the bible-toting angler who, as Edward Abbey once said, "wouldn't say **** even when his mouth is full of it," the casual fan finds him to be boring. And ESPN can't afford to be boring.

And, on a final note, as I ramble on & on, BASS leaving the West is all about the Benjamins. I don't take it personally. I'll still be a BASS member & read their magazine - because I enjoy it. Their core audience is in the Southeast & somewhat in the Midwest & Northeast. There just ain't enough of us out West to make it worth their while. There are still plenty of other tournament circuits, & the pros will be competing against the same guys anyway, since it doesn't make financial sense for the Southeastern pros to travel this far to fish. But if want your name in lights in the bass fishing world, you have to go to the Southeast. It's not personal. It's just business.
gt5bass

Re: 06 Everstart Schedule published yet?

Post by gt5bass »

Not Dewayne...but I can answer.

No, they have not published the "official" schedule yet but the have released a tenative (pretty secure unless a disater strikes) schedule.

Tenative FLW Outdoors Stren Series (formerly EverStart Series) Western Division 2006 Schedule*:

Feb 1-4 Lake Havasu
March 1-4 Clearlake
March 29- April 1 Shasta
May 3-6 Delta

*all dates are pending permits and not valid until FLW Outdoors releases the 2006 EverStart Brochures in a month or two.
Last edited by gt5bass on Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob Simard

Thanks Gary -

Post by Bob Simard »

Damn that's a great schedule!

Not sure I know how to fish Shasta without Snow/Sleet in Jan. - Feb. Jeez to actually be relatively comforitable fishing for spotties during spawn - sweet!

Thanks again,

Bob Simard
Mike Baskett

Post by Mike Baskett »

"It is business." That is exactly what BASS was not all about. It was for the anglers, by the anglers, and made up of anglers. that is why it was so well -respected. ESPN's version of BASS is not about bass fishing and the anglers who have made the sport what it is today. It is about shock value with ridiculous on the water and on stage antics with hopes of duping people into thinking bass fishing is the next big sport. Oh, and revenue is their number one goal. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and usually I just read them on this forum and avoid typing anything. I just find your opinions about BASS do not seem to be based on long term knowledge of what the organization was formed for. I wish you best of luck on your endeavors in professional fishing and hope you can find sponsors willing to fork out 55k for entry fees, 25k for travel expenses, a boat, a motor, electronics, a tow vehicle, rods, reels, tackle, and whatever else it takes to compete in the eastern half of the country. I think there will be slots available as I put money on a substantial exodus to FLW. Good luck.
Mike Baskett

Post by Mike Baskett »

And PS...Your little stick figure with the big head thing is great...I laugh when I see it.
MN

Re: Well MN

Post by MN »

Yea your right it just seem's as a pro fisherman you are on your own.Sure come tournament day your with your peer's but it would seem awfully lonley out there traveling from one event to another.I just thought it interesting that Van Dam just did not seem that happy,perhaps just me.
gt5bass

Re: Thanks Gary -

Post by gt5bass »

Bob,

I am trying to figure out if I know how to fish Shasta in April :shock: I usually only get there in the fall and winter.

I agree it is a great looking schedule...Havasu will be interesting depending on the kind of winter or lack there of they get. Last year was tough on most guys.

But hey what would fishin' be without a little challenge :wink: I think they would call it catchin' :?
gt5bass

Re: Thanks Gary -

Post by gt5bass »

CJ,

Step away from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and another, and another, relax and NOW GET YOUR ARSE ON THE LAKE AND STICK A BIG ONE! 8)
Kelly Ripa

Actually Yes....

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I did stop watching football...Bass fishing is what I do.It was the way I was brought up. Hunting pheasant out at Grizzly Island and fishing for the enjoyment...The b.s. that is called B.A.S.S. is NOT what it is all about. Good luck on the trail....And No Kevin VanDam did not look like a happy camper the last time I saw him....It's a terrible way to make a living ....If I broke off or lost a fish and it cost me money....Not interested anymore....Bragging rights are one thing but money is another..Betcha 5 bucks I can get a better limit / first fish / biggest fish yada yada yada.To each his own that is why the world is interesting but I think THE PERCEPTION of what we do on the water is changing for the none to good and it is up to the grass roots to reign them in. I have completely stopped fishing for money and have dropped all magazine subsciptions ( sorry Bass West ya just could'nt get them to my house with any regularity ) Oh my god :shock: How will I ever catch another fish without the newest/bestest/sparkleyest new fangled crap???...Frankly my dear I just don't give a damn....I'll just fade away never to catch a fish again :lol:....Funny how many e-mails I get a week about my home waters yet I don't fish for bucks....Somehow the boys in line waiting for the lake to open know who I am yet....I don't recognize many of them at all it's only from this site that where I pass out my reports that I am recognizable and always will be.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
gt5bass

Re: Actually Yes....

Post by gt5bass »

Hey Kelly,

Speaking of not fishin' for money, ya gonna come up and fish the Winter Nutcase at h'Oroville?

Perhaps we could get the nutsack...ooops I meant nutcase...Ray L. to come on up too...
Kelly Ripa

No...Sorry...

Post by Kelly Ripa »

No winter nutcase event for me.I'm still waiting for them to fix my alternator that I dumped on day one at Clear Lake. I called Anglers Marine on the way down the coast on that Monday and they couldn't fit me in until the 14th of Sept. :shock: So actually I have been out for 5 hours in three months in a nutcase's boat who took pitty on me 4 weeks after the nutcase event....You should see me go when I get some time on the water :shock: C.J. I never ask for info as it isn't my style, I earn everything that comes into/or not over the rail...I think you e-mailed me about some verbal transgression that we settled offline....My old man couldn't catch Jack if his life depended on it...But then to his credit he was one hell of a shot for an ex-B-26 machine gunner! You didn't have a plate of shot to spit out on his birds as he would wait it out and then drop the hammer.... :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
TroyF

Re: Just a few thoughts

Post by TroyF »

Now, I come from a COMPLETELY different business even though I wish it was fishing. I think the delemia that we all have is that if some company puts out a sub-standard product do we just take it?

What rights do we have and how do we protest our dis-satisfaction? Let's take B.A.S.S. for example. They have many followers, however some not by choice but by required association. Okay fine, well there is a assumed partnership in this agreement...right? How can we allow an association to almost discriminate based on where we live?

And furthermore, what do we do about it? Okay maybe we beat the doors down trying to get into the tournament, "turn people away" as you put it CJ. But alos there is a train of thought that says: screw B.A.S.S. they walked out on us and now I'm walking out on them! Almost a (STRIKE)

What is the answer? hell I'm not sure....but I know this. If I buy a product in a store that is defective, I look for customer support. If I don't get it? Never...EVER...will I buy a product from them.

Is B.A.S.S. a product or service? As a customer what should I do to show my disapproval? What would you do CJ?

Not an attack... I'm really curious and I value your opinions...Thank You.

Troy