Help!!! Minn Kota

adamsj13

Help!!! Minn Kota

Post by adamsj13 »

Pulled into Clearlake Yesterday and saw that my trolling motor housing is all busted up on the bottom piece, Its maxxum 101. Anyone know who can repair this for me at clear lake? Email me at adamsj13@nationwide.com and if you call also email it to adamsj13@gmail.com Thanks a million guys/gals

Thanks all.
FATGUY

Re: Help!!! Minn Kota

Post by FATGUY »

can't help you at clear lake but if you get it fixed let me know what it cost . i had same piece break . talked to jay liu on phone he recommended just buying piece and doing it myself. so i ordered part. part was 14.95 plus postage. he said if needed he would talk me through it over the phone if i had any problems. also said here in the bay area the place to take it if needed is
lambert enterprises in san ramon..if you need to take it to them e mail me and i'll give you address and phone number.. calfish@pacbell.net
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I think I had the same problem as you.
I fixed mine by unscrewing the head cover and picking out the broken plastic pieces.
I then lined the gears and whatever else back up and screwed the head back together. The two screw holes near the bottom of the arrow were busted up so I drilled a hole through both of them and put a metal bracket on the top and bottom and ran two bolts through the head and brackets. Sandwiched everything together and its been working fine for 2-3 years. It's not the prettiest fix but it can be done in 30 minutes and get you back on the water.
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

call minnkota and get them to overnight you the parts, it's a pretty easy repair, just need a normal sized head phillips screwdriver

or call minnkota and see if any shops in the area carries parts

4 screw under the head
loosen the cable on the footpedal
use some electrical tape or something to keep the wrapped cable on the spined spool in the head, pull the splined spool off
disconnect the wiring, cut 1/2 the black tubing and pull the male spade lugs out of the female ends - they're color coded, you cant screw it up (only cut 1/2 the tubing so that you have something left to allow you to cover the connections back up when you reassemble)
2 (3?) screws under the head that connect to housing to the shaft
slide the lower housing part off the shaft
reverse
take the time to readjust your footpedal angle to the way you really like it by positioning the splined spool with cable wrapped on it on the splined shaft coming into the head.

once you see it come apart you realize how easy these things are to work on. 10 minute job, max. hell, I'll go take mine apart and take some pictures to walk you thru it if you want.
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Call Ed at Tackle It and hopefully they know someone who can help you.
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

Adamsj13
The fix is pretty simple, :D :D but if you do not want to fix it yourself, I can fix it for you. I live in Redding (about two and half hour from Clear Lake) and can do it while you wait. I work on weekends and during the week, but you have to set up an appointment because I fish as much as possible. Phone # 530 246-8051.

JLS (Jay Liu’s Service trolling motor repair)
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Part costs $10. Do it yourself. Its not that hard.