Launching solo ?

skolnuts

Launching solo ?

Post by skolnuts »

I recentley got a new and bigger rig and never have had to launch/recover it as I've had the luxury of Russo's launch/recovery.

My previous ride was much smaller and lighter. I just tied a rope from the boat to the truck when launching and also just used the rope to pull the boat on the trailer at the end of the day.

I don't think i can do the same with the new ride, so how do you fellas with the big fiberglass boats launch solo ? I am assuming you use the winch to hold it from taking off on ya, i dunno ?
buddy brown

Re: Launching solo ?

Post by buddy brown »

-open the back hatch (if u have a SUV)
-back down w/ the strap still attached
-climb out the back hatch onto the trailer and into boat
-trim the motor down and start (w/ strap attached)
-after motor starts undo strap and push boat off trailer
-keep motor running and troll motor over to dock and tie up
-park vehicle and trailer
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I have a 19' BassCat and I have a 12' rope with a clip on one end and a loop on the other. I clip the rope to the bow hook, place the loop over my hitch back the trailer down the boat floats off the trailer, undo the loop walk the boat down the dock, tie off, park and go the whole process from when I back down - getting into my boat to take off takes 5 minutes max.

Putting the boat on the trailer is no biggy, tie up to the dock get the truck back down get in the boat drive it up on the trailer, lean over ratchet it, trim up get in the truck boogy.

Everyone has their system, however once you do it a few times you will find its very easy.
YZKEN250

Post by YZKEN250 »

Danny. Back your boat into the water with the front strap attached. Get out of your truck and undo strap and push the boat off the trailer, and jump onto the deck of your boat grab the rope that you already attached to the cleat and jump on to the dock and walk it over an tie off. Sorry I got to work or I would be helping you tomorrow. :( Just make sure when you back down you close to the dock so you dont have to jump to far. Ken
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

If you've lauched a small boat, you can lauch a big boat! It's the same damn thing. And if there's a dock, what are you complaining about?! (Sorry, had to begin with the verbal attack, now here's what I do!)

If there's a dock and a proper boat ramp, you shouldn't have to get your truck tires wet, let alone yourself! I lauched solo pretty much all of the last two years, all you gotta do is back down against the dock until the boat is floating, get out of your truck, walk around the front of your truck to the dock, hop on your boat, undo the bow hook, float the boat off the trailer, tie it up and go park your rig. If you've got your $#%^ in order, you, solo, should be "on the ramp" for no more than 3 mintues.

But if there's not a dock, then prepared to get wet :P or have yourself a pair of waders! Other than that, same story, but you gotta pull your boat off the trailer and beach it, THEN go back and park your truck.

Just my shiny 2 cents,
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
CN

Post by CN »

This is the way I do it and I am AARP material. Back the boat down with the winch strap still attached until it floats up a little off the bunk's.

Get out use the back tire and your truck bed for handles. Once in the bed walk back unstrap your winch get in start the motor and back up off the trailor and tie up.............at the end off the dock :lol:

Work's great at a busy ramp.

Mike
skolnuts

Post by skolnuts »

Thanks fellas.

Yo,, what up Ken. We got to get out on the water together soon.

BassmanDan - Nice verbal attack, i liked it, however I wasn't complaing. Maybe being considerate of others by not wanting to take forever on the ramp. I do appreciate the tutorial.

To the others, (Ash) thanks alot. I guess I had some illusion that I need to do something different cuz the boats much bigger, but I'm already experienced with the ways you guys have mentioned to launch, so i'm good to go. Thanks
Marty

Post by Marty »

The best way is post on WB that you have an open back seat and get someone to help you.
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

I launch all the time solo....Easy....WITH MINE I detach everything and back down until I see the *** just float and then another foot back and put in park and walk back and get in and go...even better if ya angle towards the dock just a little. Only got away once.....good thing it was a warm afternoon. :oops:
LL South
FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

ash wrote:I have a 19' BassCat and I have a 12' rope with a clip on one end and a loop on the other. I clip the rope to the bow hook, place the loop over my hitch back the trailer down the boat floats off the trailer, undo the loop walk the boat down the dock, tie off, park and go the whole process from when I back down - getting into my boat to take off takes 5 minutes max.

Putting the boat on the trailer is no biggy, tie up to the dock get the truck back down get in the boat drive it up on the trailer, lean over ratchet it, trim up get in the truck boogy.

Everyone has their system, however once you do it a few times you will find its very easy.
This is how I did it when I had a offshore boat in Florida, do it a couple of times and it will be a piece of cake.
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Just want to add a few things;
Slow down and go through a check list before you back the rig down. Drain plug in, engine saver removed, tie downs removed, bumpers and dock ropes attached.
Learn to back down the trailer to where the boat just starts to float and look at the trailer wheels or finders, the water should be about 1" above the finders. Don't float the boat off the trailer, start the engine and drive it off. If you float the boat off and the engine doesn't start, you are in trouble. You may want to add a step to your trailer so you can get in and out easily. Drive the boat back on with the trailer backed down to the same position as you launched it. Also hook up the wench line when backing down or leaving the ramp. Remember to un clip the line before getting in the boat to luanch. Remember to trim the big engine up when leaving the ramp.
Keep your eye on the weather and come in if it gets windy, sooner rather than later, when you are alone.
Go fishing and enjoy your new rig.
Tom
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

Oldschool wrote: If you float the boat off and the engine doesn't start, you are in trouble.
Tom
why is this trouble?
just shut up and fish
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Recovering and trailering a boat with a dead engine is a pain in the arsh. If it's not windy, you can use the trolling motor to get the boat start up the trailer bed, then you need to get wet to hook up the wench and wench it back on. If you can park next to a dock, then you maybe able to float it back on, with some help.
All that can be avoided by simply starting the engine and backing off and you know everything is working OK.
When using a rope with a clip, be sure the clip is stainless steeel, not brass. A heavy bass boat can easily snap a brass clip and the boat floats off into the lake without the rope attached.
Tom
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

I have a 21' Stratos boat and launch and trailer it myself all the time. The easiest way by FAR to launch is this ...

1) Undo all the ties like you normally do EXCEPT for the bow tie strap
2) keep the bow strap on, but loosen it by 15-20 turns
3) backup the trailer very close to the dock
4) Backup the boat till is ALMOST floats, but is still barely on the trailer
5) Climb onto the boat, undo the bow strap
6) Fire up the big motor and back it off the trailer and go tie up!

Trailering the boat is just the reverse ... :P
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

good tips.
just shut up and fish
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

201Pro wrote:I have a 21' Stratos boat and launch and trailer it myself all the time. The easiest way by FAR to launch is this ...

1) Undo all the ties like you normally do EXCEPT for the bow tie strap
2) keep the bow strap on, but loosen it by 15-20 turns
3) backup the trailer very close to the dock
4) Backup the boat till is ALMOST floats, but is still barely on the trailer
5) Climb onto the boat, undo the bow strap
6) Fire up the big motor and back it off the trailer and go tie up!

Trailering the boat is just the reverse ... :P
Pretty much what I do with my Ranger 520DVX. I will have ropes already attached on the cleats front & back. If it is windy, I will have bumpers on too. I either do #6 or just hop on the dock & pull back by ropes. A few times, I have just dropped the TM to position towards back of dock. Oh yeah, I step on truck tire & walk from bed onto boat trailer.
SKTR 20i

Post by SKTR 20i »

Pretty much the same as everyone else.

Except I loosen the winch strap 8 turns flip the lever so it won't play out any more strap then back into the water until the boat slides off the trailer pull the truck out of the water (slowly) just until the boat sits on the bunks and you are good to go. The boat is fairly secure so you can take your time getting in, undo the bow strap, tie the boat to the dock and park your vehicle.

Don't forget the most important thing "especially when you are by yourself" wear your life vest!!!

John.
duckhuntr07

Post by duckhuntr07 »

JustinD wrote:I launch all the time solo....Easy....WITH MINE I detach everything and back down until I see the *** just float and then another foot back and put in park and walk back and get in and go...even better if ya angle towards the dock just a little. Only got away once.....good thing it was a warm afternoon. :oops:
Did you really swim for it Justin??? That's funny.

I turn the ratchet the other way on the winch and when the winch starts to go backward a bit I stop backing. Then I disconnect the strap and step on the bow to attach my rope to the cleat and step on the dock while pulling the boat off the trailer. Tie it off and go park. Of course it helps to be close to the dock.
Lookin4Bass

Post by Lookin4Bass »

I use a slight variation of the methods described.

- Tie a 15'+ rope to my front cleat on the side facing the dock and toss
the excess in the back corner of the truck bed.

- When I reach the bottom of the ramp I back halfway in, undo
the bow strap.

- Tie the rope to a dock cleat.

- Back in until the boat floats off. Use the rope to pull the boat
to the dock. Unless it's very windy it hasn't drifted out.

- Pull the truck forward.

- Tie the boat to the dock front and back. Park the truck.
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

This is really getting 'OLD'. Knowing what needs to get done and just use your common sense.
If that doesn't get you by you're not going to follow these varied directions anyway.
Sorry for the attitude but there is not really much thinking to this.

NONE of you are gonna punch some old guy out for blocking your way or touchon' your toys (as intimated in recent posts) and the "LAUNCH HOGS" recognize their problem they're just too stupid to figure out a simple solution to their drama.

Come on---some folks can';t even get down a grocery aisle much less pick out their produce w/o an issue.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
ns nitro

Post by ns nitro »

buddy brown wrote:-open the back hatch (if u have a SUV)
-back down w/ the strap still attached
-climb out the back hatch onto the trailer and into boat
-trim the motor down and start (w/ strap attached)
-after motor starts undo strap and push boat off trailer
-keep motor running and troll motor over to dock and tie up
-park vehicle and trailer

+1 This is the easiest way that I have found!! Nate
www.basschow.com
www.p-line.com
www.snapon.com
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

I have a bungi cord attached to the grab rail right at the drivers seat. its all I ever use to tie off, never have to dig for a rope or put one away,

back in nere the dock so the boat just floats,
jump into boat from dock
unhook front and push off
grab dock and tie off,
go park

pull up to dock and tie off
go get truck
pull onto trailer with big motor
hook front
pull out

simple
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

We down in SoCal envy you guys where docks are open and there is no wind or boat traffic. It's not uncommon to have no dock space and must wait for an opening and the wind waves can put your boat up on the dock or back on the ramp if not secured properly. Agree, if you can back down next to an open dock, do it!
Tom
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

What was I gonna do Big daddy? It was like early morning June at Rivers End so wasn't that bad....Actually kind of refreshing......And if your worried about your boat hitting the dock GET OVER it.....your gonna get scratches...dings....nicks....scraps....best to just get it over with.....

Favorite pastime other than fishing: Watching NOOBS lauchiong their boats. Best is the husband wife combo.....Can you say divorce. HAHAHAHA :lol:
LL South
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

It's kind of cool hearing everyone chime in on the solo launch.

So I will to.

I dont unwinch my boat until i run it for at least a minute mostly because I have a old 2 stroke and it's fineke sometimes.

Also when putting the trailer back in the water to leave I sink the runners to get em wet so the boat slides up on the wet pads which also will make em last longer because of the less friction.

My2cents
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

Another good tip is to attach the rabbit ears to your engine and start it before leaving home. This will let you know that your battery is good and that your engine will start prior to leaving home. I hate finding that it won't once I have driven 100 miles to fish my favorite body of water.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
duckhuntr07

Post by duckhuntr07 »

JustinD wrote:What was I gonna do Big daddy? It was like early morning June at Rivers End so wasn't that bad....Actually kind of refreshing.....
Guess you either ask someone to retrieve it for you or go for a swim. It aint like it's goin anywhere at Rivers End Launch. I've seen you do the dump and run technique and wondered if it ever got away from ya.

Maybe you should keep a lasso in the truck.
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

That would eliminate the excitement.... :lol:
LL South
DanO

Here's an easy way

Post by DanO »

This is a video showing how Skeet Reese launches in the Lucky Craft Big Rig...

http://www.skeetreeseinc.com/SoloLaunch.html

DanO