5-6 foot waves on clear lake......

aNNieNsaLTIE

5-6 foot waves on clear lake......

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

what bassboat should i get next?............5-6foot waves are huge...how well does those 20 ft bass boats haddle these water? are you guys still doing 70 or are you guys at idle right along with us?.................in the boat market still, wanted to know what i should go get my self...................thx, saLTIE-
rickyshabazz

Re: 5-6 foot waves on clear lake......

Post by rickyshabazz »

No one is doing 70 in anything over 3 footers. However, having experience and a bigger boat is the difference between scoping them and staying on top of them. Either way you have to give yourself plenty of time and practice to master handling the big stuff.

A bigger boat does make it easier.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I agree with you totally, I lived there 20 years, and never found a boat that you could run open with. Worst i ever had was in 1990 between horseshoe bay and the state park........Wow !! did we get wet !
Phil

Post by Phil »

I have always been a ranger freek, Every since I filled my Ranger full of water and it did float all the way back to the dock at Clear Lake............so it matters not only the size, but the safety, will it float when a wave comes over the side time and time again ???
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

If one is going to fish big open bodies of water ( Berryessa, Folsom, Clear Lake), conditions can be tough for 17 to 19 foot boats. If fishing big bodies of water, a 20 footer or more gives one peace of mind and a few less bruises. In the near four years I owned my first Ranger 520, I only took a little water over the front from 2 swells coming from Nice to Lucerne this spring. The problem is not the heigth of the swells, but the distance apart. That boat is 20' 9 " and seems about right for big water. 20 to 21 footers are the way to go if you fish big water. I do a lot of night fishing and you can't see those swells too well. Bigger boats offer "confidence"! Many years ago, I had to take clients back to Red Bud from Konocti Bay in the dark of the moon in a Ranger 363 (17' 10") and that was the end of my small boat era!!! We made it fine, but I use the words "we were damp" loosely!!!
CORAL 96

Re: A need for good bow-lift!!!!!!!!!

Post by CORAL 96 »

If you have a jackplate, run that puppy as high as you can, that is with good water psi. They all seem to ride better when this is done. I've cranked my manual plate as high as possible with good pressure, and now it rides NICE!!!!! 8)
mark poulson

Re: A need for good bow-lift!!!!!!!!!

Post by mark poulson »

I have a Tracker 175 with a trim switch, but no jack plate. Would trimming up help in rough water. I don't try to motor wide open anyway if it's rough, but having the front higher makes sense, even if it makes it harder to see.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY