For once, a good insurance story

Pat

For once, a good insurance story

Post by Pat »

I know we have horror stories sometimes about boat insurance, thought I would share something that just happened to me.

Out of the blue last week I got a check from Allstate insurance for $250. Explanation: For a deductible refund for a claim I had in August 2003! Wife and I are trying our best to figure out what claim we had and it finally struck me. I was a boat claim. During the Rally at the Delta in August 2003 I was running across Franks Tract when my trolling motor mysteriously started smoking. Before I could get stopped and figure out waht was going on it has melted the control cables, burned my carpet and singed one of my rod handles. Turns out there was a short in the motor and it was grounding through the steering cables which are not designed to carry electricity. I filed a claim with Allstate, they took the trolling motor and said they would examine it and pursue a remedy with Motorguide if they determined it was faulty. In the mean time I got all new carpet and replaced the TM with a Minnkota 101.

So now 5 years later, I guess Allstate and Motorguide settled and here comes my share in the form of a refund. I really like unexpected "found money"!!!

And my hats off to Allstate on this one

Pat
MIKE TREMONT

Re: For once, a good insurance story

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Pat, while I'm glad to read you got YOUR money back, from what I read it sounds like the usual BS to me. SIX years is beyond sad in my book! Did you do any math on the interest rate?

But like you said, it's a couple of bucks you didn't count on. Sounds like a couple new lures or a nice night out for you and the Mrs.

Have fun!
I had to come back...I know...
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Dang Pat, I remember when that went down..If I remember correctly your rider (non boater) for that time period, was our super friendly Coastie Tom, of course that was before he joined up..I fished with "Biggun" that session..There is another name and person we all miss..

Congrats on finally seeing some results from your claim, don't spend it all in one place..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Pat

Post by Pat »

Guess I need to make it clear that Allstate was great at the time of the claim. No hesitation to cover it at all. They paid full price for a new Motorguide 36v Trolling motor, though I chose a MinnKota 101, but that's a different story. They also paid to recarpet the entire boat, even though it was just the front deck was damaged. Reason was the front and back deck would not match. They also paid to replace the damaged rod, even though it was very usable. So finally getting the deductible refund back 6 years later still seems pretty good to me,

Mac, you have a good memory, and I think you are right about Tom. It did ruin our days fishing though...

Pat