Thinking of buying a diesel

Share vehicle info.
FISHorDIE

Thinking of buying a diesel

Post by FISHorDIE »

Just made my last payment on my 2002 Avalanche and it's been killing me trying to avoid from buying a nice new truck. I dont need much of a truck to pull my little 18.5 bass boat around and my 02' has 90k miles so it should be fine for awhile but I love those ford 250 super duties and was wondering if maintanance and repair would end up being more costly then going with a smaller gas engine truck?

Again I dont need much of a truck, im not going to be hauling anything or using the truck for work, just pulling a bass boat, it's just that I really like the way the super duties look and want something that can be considered reliable. Thanks for any advice!
rmbumpus

Re: Thinking of buying a diesel

Post by rmbumpus »

If you buy a new diesel, buy a dodge. Ford is having problems with their new diesel. I have 225000 on my 02 Ford and just purchased a Dodge out of Kellogg, Idaho (wholesale). Ford changed their motor on 03. No more 7.3L. If you want a great deal on a Dodge call Heather Heart at (208) 691-6349.
FISHorDIE

Post by FISHorDIE »

Hey thanks rmbumpus, I will give them a call. After doing alittle research you were exactly right.. those ford diesels seem like trouble and the dodge cummins is considered very reliable. Thanks again.. you saved me some headaches!
Ranger519VS

Post by Ranger519VS »

I don't want to start the firestorm of debates. But I did a ton of research on the new diesels. My friend who works at a Ford Dodge dealership as the head diesel mechanic has had a ton of problems with both the new Ford/Navistar(International) and Dodge/Cummins engines.
The old Fords with the 7.3 powerstroke was bulletproof. The early 6.0 liter powerstroke was garbage, but the last couple of years 6.0 was not too bad. The new 6.4 liter twin turbo is not doing too well and their fuel economy is terrible for a diesel.
Dodge/Cummins has been making great engines for quite a while the new 6.7 liter was not too great. The 5.9 was a sweet engine and I almost bought one until I drove the Chevy Duramax/Allison.
The best advice is to do some serious research before purchasing. The Duramax did not make huge changes to their engine. BTW Duramax is made by Isuzu.
I might have bought the Dodge if they kept the 5.9 but they switched. Chose the Chevy and haven't regretted it at all.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

The 7.3 was the best engine around and you could mod it as much as you wanted. The 6.0 had problems in '03 and plenty in '04 but the later ones had most of the problems from people putting chips in. The 6.0 was maxxed out from the factory. The new 6.4 is supposed to be a good engine but mileage is lousy because of the emissions stuff. I have an '04 F250 with the 6.0. Never modded and I have 110000 miles and it runs great and will pull a house. I decided to buy a diesel because they will last for 300000 miles and I decided no truck payments for 8 years or so would be good in this economy. My Ford still looks great and no squeaks or rattles.