Need New Tolling Batteries??? optima, interstate, ect.?

birdi23nls

Need New Tolling Batteries??? optima, interstate, ect.?

Post by birdi23nls »

I need two new trolling batteries.

I have interstates with the green top...should i stick with them? Or switch to another brand?

Optima batteries are expensve...r they worth the cost? How many years on average do the need replacing?

If i decide not to go with optima, what would be the best choice for around 100$ or less?

thanks
Last edited by birdi23nls on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
Robert F

Re: Need New Tolling Batteries??? optima, interstand, ect.?

Post by Robert F »

Stick with your Interstates. Optima will not last longer than the money difference. If you are not good about checking your water then buy the Optima. Do not mix the two.
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Jared
We sell Dekas at C & C Marine. We have had really good luck with them. I pretty sure they will even fit in your Triton! Jim
smoothmel

Post by smoothmel »

I WOULD SAY OPTIMA,I'VE HAD FIRST SET FOR FIVE YEARS JUST REPLACE THEM WITH SECOND SET OF FOUR HOPE FOR ANOTHER FIVE YEARS -COSTCO 135.00 HERE IN SAN DIEGO GOOD LUCK
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I prefer the interstate batteries. I have never used the Optimas but the price tag is too rich for my blood
Team Efusjon

Post by Team Efusjon »

I've had my set of Optimas going on 6 years now (in October). They haven't let me down, so I got my money's worth and then some. I am thinking it's probably time for a new set though. Will buy Optima again.
www.myefusjon.com/changeyourlife
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Interstate is a low end battery. You should look at Trojan SCS225 or Delco deep cycle marine batteries for comparison to Optima. Good batteries should last about 5 to 6 years with proper maintenance. Trojan has sales on factory direct batteries with blems on the case, full warranty, about 1/2 price, give them a call.
Tom
Jeff C.

Re: Need New Tolling Batteries??? optima, interstate, ect.?

Post by Jeff C. »

Take a look at the sealed deep cycles of Centennial batteries. Last year I wanted to go maintenance free and the Centennials had all the other brands beat on price and specs. I got mine from Battery Systems of Sacramento. Once you try a sealed battery you'll never go back to the old kind where you have to continually top up the water level.

Jeff C.
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I agree with old school and Jeff go with the Delco Group 29 or the Trojon and stay with a sealed battery. Delco's are sealed they just don't look like they are.
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

I'm at the same place right now the last week I have 1 batt that will not stop charging and yesterday it showed big time on the lake

I know when I was at BPS the other day that Optima has a 25.00 rebate ( mail in) till the end of the month, BUT its only good on 2 batt's per household and I need 3 min and really thinking 4

I have used the everstarts for years but looking at diff options, really would like a sealed batt, and since I'm going to keep this boat forever I want the biggest bang for the buck
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
some guy

Post by some guy »

Kirk.... there are really only two choices in my eyes..

Optimas and Trojans. Both are the way to go. I prefer the Optima's because they are smaller and lighter. I have the blue tops and wouldnt change it for a thing. I could do laps around Hodges in the wind slinging a blade.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

some guy wrote:Kirk.... there are really only two choices in my eyes..

Optimas and Trojans. Both are the way to go. I prefer the Optima's because they are smaller and lighter. I have the blue tops and wouldnt change it for a thing. I could do laps around Hodges in the wind slinging a blade.
In my mind thats the way I really think I should go and if the optimas are lighter then thats a good thing because more weight is not what i'm looking for in a batt also

Plus then I can get those cool trays that tom makes for the optimas, its just puting out the 700.00-900.00 $$ for them, but I have to do something before the toc at mead

John I take it you have the 31's
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
hippie

Post by hippie »

doesnt interstate own optima every week someone asks the same ? just stop it buy the cheapest battery you can especially if your fishing against me please. no need for optimas or trojans please buy cheap, mead really likes cheap batteries.
some guy

Post by some guy »

macinckirk wrote:
some guy wrote:Kirk.... there are really only two choices in my eyes..

In my mind thats the way I really think I should go and if the optimas are lighter then thats a good thing because more weight is not what i'm looking for in a batt also

Plus then I can get those cool trays that tom makes for the optimas, its just puting out the 700.00-900.00 $$ for them, but I have to do something before the toc at mead

John I take it you have the 31's
Yup.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

hippie, i doubt your choice in batteries will ever be the defining factor in a tournament win.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

From my understanding, Optima Batteries are distributed by Interstate, as Interstate has one of the largest distribution set-ups in the US.

I run 3 Interstate Batteries and have absolutely no problems with them. They are a great battery at a great price. How you treat your batteries will make a difference too.
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

i went and got my batteries tested and they are all good??? I checked the trolling motor for fisning line or weeds in the prop...but it was clean except for a little delta moss.

I was at the delta running the motor wide open for about 8 hours, pushing threw weeds. I often had to pick the trolling motor up and down to get all the weeds off the prop and the trolling motor itself. Is that enough to run my batteries down or could there be a problem with the trolling motor. The guy who checked the batteres looked at the trolling motor and thought it was all good too.

????
Last edited by birdi23nls on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Jeff Antenucci

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

I ran out of battery up at Clear Lake a few months ago on a 8 hour day, the next day made a call to get the Stealth I charging system and have 12+ hour days on the water without running out. In your case, I am not 100% sure, becuase I am no expert, but I know for me, the Stealth I charging system really helped me.
flipit

Post by flipit »

I use the group 29 interstates. Great batteries. Im also a dealer so I just get my free replacements every 11 months. Last time at Clear Lake I ran em 3 straight days without a charge. (not recomended but they held up).
Fishing should be fun.
hippie

Post by hippie »

well just keep on buying cheap batteries ill tell you your real problem is your propably running a 24v trolling motor but what would i know im from so cal. you hicks up north need to stick with lightning rods and wallmart brand batteries
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

I've got the new group 27 blue tops and like em alot. They charge fast and last long with seemingly more immediate power (torque) when u step on tha pedal. Huge upgrade from everstarts
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and get the 31m , the way it looks to me

Retail at BPS for the 27's is 219.99 each the weigth is 53lbs per batt

the 31's are 239.99 each and the weigth is only 6 lbs more so this a no brainer

I'll just go on a diet and lose 15 more lbs, or drop all those old baits I don't use any more

man I have cut back 1/3rd of my stuff allready :twisted:
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Get the costco Kirkland. It's a interstate, they are identical and 69 bucks. There both made by Johnson controls and are about one of the best batteries out there IMO. I have an interstate and kirklands you can't tell the difference, tops are identical only the side stickers give it away. Plus they have the best warranty, just take them back every couple years and get fresh ones for free. You will never have to worry about if it's your batteries again.

How many times can we bring up this topic? Make it a sticky :lol:
LL
rangerz20

Post by rangerz20 »

I highly second Kirkland Batteries from Costco. I have tried almost all the different batteries on the market, and the Kirkland held up the best by far!
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I get group 31's from Sunny's Electric in Sacto. I can usually do 2 guided trips (16 hrs) with one charge. That may not be possible in the delta of course because of the tides. They are really terrific!
Larry Hemphill

Duh!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Guess I should have mentioned they are Trojans!!
biteme

Re: Duh!

Post by biteme »

Larry Hemphill wrote:Guess I should have mentioned they are Trojans!!
I wont ever buy Trojans again. If Im going to buy a wet cell battery then I might as well buy a Kirkland.
But my next ones will be a gel cell.
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

Got all new batteries when I got my boat last year. Went with the Sears Platinum AGM Group 31M batteries. Put 120 hours on the big motor since last year. Can't even guess how many on the trolling motor & batteries. 24volt motor on a Ranger 520. Nice thing about the Platinums is they will do over the counter replacement for three years. I keep the receipt in the truck. If anything happens, I just go to any Sears store for replacement.

Pros: AGM batteries are true maintenance free batteries. Never add water. Never leak. More durable than than regular batteries.

Cons: Cost more! Weigh a little bit more than comparable lead acid.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Sears Platinum +1..I am running a group 34 for my cranking battery. 25 lbs. lighter than a 31 and meet all the specks for the new motors. Best warranty around.
http://www.dobynsrods.com