WRL and BASS Elite

Gumpa

Re: WRL and BASS Elite

Post by Gumpa »

Assume the position and be prepaired. Ok here's my experience the last time the Elite's were here. My son-in -law and I had just started fishing Frank's on Saturday morning. We were, oh, about maybe 50-100 yards of the area that Marten's caught all his fish to win. Now we were in a 100% tourney that day and not only were we fishing for a nice payday we were trying to make the fish off as well. We had been in the area for about 30mins and here come's the contingent of boats. It look like a parade. 1st. Marten's boat in the lead and a mass following him. We had no idea who it was only he was bearing down hard on us.

Now we knew that they were there that weekend and we had not prefished the day before but the week before so we had no idea that we were in Marten's "AREA" when we started that morning. As soon as he stopped this was his exact word's to us even before he got his trolling motor down. Hey! is there another tournement here today? Answer..Yes! What organazation? Answer...100% Bass. Reaction...Unbeleaveable!!!! I asked him...Why do you say that? His answer....Any org with half a brain should never secdule a tournement when we are here!!! I looked at my son in law and told him.... This Dudes a complete Moron.

He thinks that they should shut down the entire Delta just for them is really quite funny. I respect the fact that these guys are fishing for a living but come on Arron or how ever you spell it. You are the 1 guy that would snivvel about it more than anyone else and let it get into your head. He was really a jerk about the whole deal and the fact that we were in the area fishing really bothered him. Funny thing was is that we were not even headed where he started. It just bothered him that we were there fishing a tournement the same day as the pro's were.

So here's my take on the whole thing. These guys are pro's. They have to adjust to ever kind of sistuation be it another tournement, crowd's, weather, and so on. If they ask nicely it's up to you. You have just as much right on a public waterway as they do. Yes, they choose to make a living this way and they knew the obsticals going in. But I'll tell you this. If he's a jerk about it. He can KMA!
Grandkids. Fishing. What could be better? Watching them catch a big 1 Or hitting 1 out of the park. "Never give up" for the love of the game!
captjohn

Post by captjohn »

I own a charter boat and fish for a living. If one of you guys was on a spot i wanted to fish for my charter people would you move. The answer is NO you were there first. I would not expect you to and I would bet that most of the Elite Guys would not expect you to either. These guys are professionals and should be respectful of the public and bet they are.
huddleston

Post by huddleston »

I would bet most tournament bass anglers who are fun fishing or even pre-fishing rather they fish clubs, FLW, or Elites would move out of the way if asked, especially for guys fishing a tournament, and they should. I've actually seen and heard several scenarios play out on Clear Lake. My partner and I saw Ish Monroe blow-up on a weekend angler. It was kinda of funny but Ish is rolling down a stretch of tules, looked like he was throwing a crank. In his path was this weekend guy, Ish starts screaming, "get out of the way, get out of the way, move your boat I'm going for hundred of thousands of dollars. My buddy and me are like holly smoke who is this guy. The poor weekender pulled up and left.
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

huddleston wrote:I would bet most tournament bass anglers who are fun fishing or even pre-fishing rather they fish clubs, FLW, or Elites would move out of the way if asked, especially for guys fishing a tournament, and they should. I've actually seen and heard several scenarios play out on Clear Lake. My partner and I saw Ish Monroe blow-up on a weekend angler. It was kinda of funny but Ish is rolling down a stretch of tules, looked like he was throwing a crank. In his path was this weekend guy, Ish starts screaming, "get out of the way, get out of the way, move your boat I'm going for hundred of thousands of dollars. My buddy and me are like holly smoke who is this guy. The poor weekender pulled up and left.
If this is true, and I have no reason not to believe you, then that is pretty sad. :roll:

I'm not a "tournament", "Club" or any other type competitive fisherman. I'm the "weekend" fisherman that works 50+ hours a week, supports a family and looks forward to a little R&R out on the water in my boat. I'm a pretty decent fisherman with manners and I do take my fishing seriously. I have to be competitive in other areas and was competitive for so many years growing up participating in sports, so I chose not to be in my hobby.

I'm also a fisherman that buys PRODUCTS that support the fishing industry!

I will say that I've been encroached upon and been cut off by participants in local club tournaments that have just about said the same thing to me as quoted by Ish (less a few 000's) while I was fishing the delta too. So, it's not just the Elites..... :(

In summary, fishing for MONEY doesn't give anyone the right to be rude or lack manners to fellow anglers.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I've been in that position, and how things go down determine what I do.
If a tournament guy is polite, and asks, then I'll happily move out and let him fish through.
But if he's rude, like the tourney boat that roared all the way back to the stickup in Big Cachuma a few years ago, throwing wakes and breaking the law, and then telling me and my partner that they "need" our spot, he can pound sand.
On that day, we stuck fish after fish in front of them, and they blanked.
Karma.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
fishnhunt21

Post by fishnhunt21 »

ash wrote:I understand that fishing the BASS Elite series is a part of the pros job description, however it is just one part. The other part is promoting their sponsors to potential buyers and customers.

I am that buyer, I am that customer, in all fairness if I was not buying the products the guy is promoting then they are out of a job, and now they are fishing derbies. I respect these guys that lay it all out there and are the best at what they do, I hold them in regard and sometimes in bewilderment as to what they accomplish in their professional careers.

It is us the wiffle ball league, flag football teams, small tournaments and weekend anglers that spend the majority of the money with the same sponsors that make it possible for the pros to make a living.

I didn't pick the date or conditions of my tournament, however I am going to fish the conditions in front of me to the best of my ability in order to win, and I expect the same from anyone I encounter on the water, because that is what I do every time I have a tournament, why is this weekend any different?
+1...well said Ash
swimbait

Post by swimbait »

Scheduling a tourney on top of the elites that is going to draw a big number of boats just invites lame situations. But I'm sure there's some great reason why it had to be done :roll:

Anyone fishing Thu-Sun this week should keep in mind you aren't just representing yourself, or your tourney org, you're representing all the bass fishermen in CA. On the final day if one of the leaders comes on stage and tells a story about how some local guys fishing the WRL were on his spot and he watched them stick fish while he fell out of contention you should at least think about how that is viewed on a national level.

The way it's viewed is that CA anglers are dicks.
DL

Post by DL »

Scheduling a tourney on top of the elites that is going to draw a big number of boats just invites lame situations. But I'm sure there's some great reason why it had to be done

Above is the question I would ask. Yes, dates are limited and maybe the director had no choice other than the 14th. Regardless of the reason, it puts the WRL anglers in a no win situation. Leave a good spot and give up the fish ...stay and be thought an A-hole.

Personally, I would fish and try to stay out of the way. If I was asked politely, I would move or share...if I was moved in on and the angler tried to push me off a spot or just plain hi-jacked my spot, I would react accordingly.
"Feel the steel"
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

I like a few others did not want to chime in but feel like I should. I will give an example and maybe you can take it from there how eticate should be on the water.
I was fishing a U.S.Open a few years back. I had some fish going and was in the top 30 after day 2. Mind you not a shot to win but cut a check. I went to my 4th. stop of the day and the leader pulls in 10 min. after I get there. Now it is decision time. Do I stay or go. Do we talk or just grumble at each other while in the cove. I decided to make the first move and ask what he wanted to do. He said he was on a timing pattern and it was the time for him to fish that cove. I then asked him how he was doing and he said he needed 2 more for his limit. I had 4 fish and said I am out of here and it is all yours. I wished him luck on winning and hoped he got his next 2 bites in that cut.
Later on after weigh in that person came up to me and shook my hand and said thanks for letting him have his shot at winning the biggest tournament in the west.
I never got my 5th. fish that day and he told me he got 1 fish out of that spot and finished his limit on his next 2 stops. He did not win but at least He had a shot.
I did cut a small check in option money that got me my entry back plus some but that is not the point.
Did I feel I was wrong in not fighting for that spot no I felt like I made the right decission and moved on.
Etticate is a lost art in this sport and I have noticed it in this thread. Yes you spend your hard earned money just like the next guy but at the end of the day do you want to feel good about yourself or do you want to feel like an *** for the rest of the day. Do you want to be the type of guy to teach your son to not have any etticate in his life. Think about it and show some respect to your fellow angler.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
huddleston

Post by huddleston »

Perfectly said Ray L

I had a similar situation during a WON Pro-AM, on the final day I had no shot at a check so I figured heck, I'm going to my best swim bait spot and swing for Big fish. I was fishing the point for about 10-minutes, another pro who I knew was leading the tourney was working his way in my direction. After I realized who it was I just disappeared around the point into the next cove. Gave him all the room he needed, having said that if was in the hunt for a check I wouldn't of moved until I was done.
bluehobiebasser

Post by bluehobiebasser »

I looked this up: Bassmasters Rules and Regulations:

"(ii) Maximum courtesy must be practiced at all times, especially with regard to boating and angling in the vicinity of non-competitors who may be on tournament waters. Any act of a competitor, which reflects unfavorably upon efforts to promote fisheries conservation, clean waters and courtesy, shall be reason for disqualification."

==========================================
Good etiquette is a two-way street. Everyone should be considerate of each other's right to have a nice day of fishing, competitor or non-competitor.

Enjoy the weekend, and good luck to anyone fishing for any reason.
robertthornton

Post by robertthornton »

Take a stand don’t be intimidated. Some guys a tournament win means everything. I still lose sleep the night before a weekend event. I believe a win to me means more than it dose to Kevin or Skeet. For those guys its all about big paydays, and more trophies. I am a huge fan of them both, and would still not move for them, if it was water I found on my own. Its not about money, its about the competition, and there is in no way that I am going to sacrifice my chances of doing well for someone else’s benefit. No way!
I understand these guys are trying to make a living at it, but there are guys out there where this is all they can afford, or have put there priorities in a different order, where fishing dose not come first. These guys, the working class guy, with a low income and only the weekends to live his dreams, in my mind has more of a right to be on his water, more than some guy from Texas or Alabama. And for elite guys that have experience fishing a body of water, and decide to risk there tournament on a community hole, well that’s what you get for fishing a community hole, the community comes to fish. Some guys might not even know who you are, maybe they fish Sunday mornings instead of getting up and watching television.
Myself I am not fishing the WRL delta this weekend because I do believe they should try to make tournaments not conflict to avoid theses problems. This is all on the tournament organizations. Sat Anglers choice, when there are still 50 elite guys, and Sun WRL when there are 12. Its not like the Elites come out here every year, why cant we cater to them and at least try to give them some space. They bring tons of people with them and it is great for the local economy, it would suck if they started in on how California water is to crowded, maybe we should not go out west anymore.
To the subject of matter, if you are fishing this weekend and a Elite guy tries to push you off your spot, do not be intimidated stay your ground, do not offer him your water so he can catch your fish. Unless you care nothing about winning or losing.
You have to have respect yourself. There is no reason to put the elite guys up on a pedestal, they are not far off from allot of us. I believe I am more capable, and have more natural talent the most of those guys fishing. I just don’t have the experience. Being courteous dose not mean giving up your area so some big shot pro can wack’em on it. F that. I would never do that, I would rather shoot myself in the foot.
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

one thing cool is if they end up on the same water as you, your doing something right!
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

GOOD POST AND QUESTION SON :D :D :D :D :D

NOW YOU CAN ALL SEE WHY I'M HIS PROUD DAD 8) :)

AND LIKE THE TRUE SPORTSMEN THAT ALL OF YOU ARE HERE ON WESTERN BASS, MOST OF YOU HAVE A VERY VALID POINT TO MAKE IN REGARDS TOO THE QUESTION.

HE AND I WILL BE FISHING THE WRL ON SUNDAY AS A TEAM AND HOPE TO DO WELL.

BUT ONE SPOT IN THE WHOLE DELTA WILL NOT MAKE OR BREAK A TOURNAMENT FOR US.

YES YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE SO CALLED ELITE HAVING TOO MAKE A LIVING FROM THERE SPORT, AN AS SOME OF YOU PUT IT
'' THEY ALL PUT THEIR PANTS ON ONE LEG AT A TIME''

WITH THAT BEING SAID, I THINK IT WOULD BEST BE SAID THAT WE ALL DESERVE THE RESPECT THAT IS GIVEN AND SHOWN TOO EACH OTHER IN ANY GIVEN SITUATION IN LIFE AND ACT ON IT ACCORDINGLY.

NOT TO SAY IT'S OK TO ROLL OVER AND ACT LIKE A COWED DOG. i PAYED MY ENTRY FEES JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOSE.

BUT ENOUGH TO SAY ITS A BIG RIVER OUT THEIR AND PLENTY OF ROOM FOR ALL. 8)
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Guy, if I see you out on the water I am running you down and sending wakes over your bow :twisted: BAH HA, see you Sunday!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
texas john

Post by texas john »

ash wrote:Guy, if I see you out on the water I am running you down and sending wakes over your bow :twisted: BAH HA, see you Sunday!
Dont do it to me Ash, the carpet is new and I like the delta smell to come over time!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

no body owns the water, nothing is your spot,

fishing for more money than us does not make it there water!

use your judgment do whats right to you!

more than likely I would yield to a Bass Master Guy

but would they yield to me?

lots of opinions can be made here on this topic!

If it were a non WRL event and 2 pro level events were fishing , I can tell you they would most likely not yield to a BASS guy.

keep in mind it's game on time for all of us come tournament day!

thats how they started too!

I have been cut in front of so much, in events or no events it's unbelievable!

I will say if you are a WRL guy and you test the waters moving up into a Pro team event or a Pro Am event, you will get a quick lesson in hitting the exact water you need for your fish!

If your on the side of the point and the bite is on the front of the point these Pro level Anglers will drive right to the point in front of you! Fish and go!

It gets really cut throat out there! I dont practice this tactic, but I learned quick to hit the sweet spot first!

I will say if I can cast over your boat to the spot ...um..your too close!

Do what you need to do to catch your fish, be sportsman like ,and just be polite.

otherwise better get out of the way! They will run you down!
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Brian

Post by Brian »

ISN'T THERE AN A/C WEST GOING OUT ON SAT?
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

I would show them the same respect / courtesy you would show any angler you run into on the water and I would expect them to do the same..be it, if your in a little tin boat or a 60,000 dollar rig!

Communacation goes along way here!!