Help upgrading from a kickboat

Micropterus salmoides

Help upgrading from a kickboat

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

I want to get out of the kickboat game and upgrade to something else. I was thinking along the lines of an aluminum boat. The thing is I have a Honda Accord, so whatever it is will be towed by the Honda. Budget is around a few thousand.

I usually fish a small 350 acre lake that's about 10 minutes from my house. It can get quite windy at times (20-30+mph) and I have to deal with wakes from wakeboats, jet skis. I'd prefer a boat with a deck and definitely capable of using a bow mounted trolling motor. I'd like to be relatively stable in windy conditions and be able to stay on one spot using the trolling motor or run the bank without getting blown onto shore.

I just want to get an idea of what types/sizes of boats to look at, if possible, given the limitations of the Accord.

I'd appreciate any help.
ASD

Re: Help upgrading from a kickboat

Post by ASD »

1 word "TRACKER" find out what you car can tow and get the bigest tracker your car can tow.
Micropterus salmoides

Well it looks like pulling a bass boat, even a small aluminum one, is a no go for a Honda Accord. :( Inadequate brakes and not enough torque. I was doubtful to begin with, but I thought I'd ask.
jazzwannabe

Post by jazzwannabe »

I'm not endorsing this product (I think it's too expensive), but you might consider it:

http://www.carolinaelectricboats.com/
Golden Empire Bass Club
bluehobiebasser

Post by bluehobiebasser »

Kayak. Hobie peddles are like a manual trolling motor. Cartop it.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Micropterus salmoides wrote:Well it looks like pulling a bass boat, even a small aluminum one, is a no go for a Honda Accord. :( Inadequate brakes and not enough torque. I was doubtful to begin with, but I thought I'd ask.
I've seen Honda accords tow aluminum boats. I talked to one guy with about a 16' semi-v aluminum boat and he said his car pulled it fine.
I would think a 12' aluminum boat converted into a bass boat with a light trailer would be fine. Loaded down it shouldn't weigh any more then 800 lbs. If your only making a short trip to the lake then I highly doubt it would hurt the car.
Heck my buddy has a newer Honda Accord and his Wife has to weigh at least half that and he hasn't had any issues with the car.
Micropterus salmoides

^^^

The concern is not so much about pulling the boat, but rather stopping, particularly in an emergency. Apparently it would be unsafe with a vehicle like the Accord. Also, I'm not even sure how it would handle launching and loading a boat on a steep ramp.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

If you drove sensible and wasn't towing down winding hills I would think you would be ok. 800 lbs isn't that much weight. Depending on the boat and gear it might even be 100-200 lbs less.

Your not pulling this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9XZwDYwGdY
Ernst

Post by Ernst »

Gman and Rodger S are experts on float tubes and upgrading...
PM them
Last edited by Ernst on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Besides,
They make tow hitches for Accords so I they have some type of towing capacity. I would get a second opinion from somebody knowledgeable.
Micropterus salmoides

Ernst wrote:Gman and Rodger Stegall are experts on float tubes and upgrading...
PM them
Do you mean upgrading my kickboat or upgrading to something else other than a kickboat?
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Whoopbass wrote:
Micropterus salmoides wrote:. Loaded down it shouldn't weigh any more then 800 lbs.

Heck my buddy has a newer Honda Accord and his Wife has to weigh at least half that and he hasn't had any issues with the car.
Har Har Har... :lol: :shock: ... whoa..
Saechao

Post by Saechao »

get a 14 foot valco, turn that into a mini bass boat

i had one in a couple years ago with a 25hp motor in the back and 55lb tolling motor up front with a full deck.

that little boat handled the delta and clear lake pretty well..

all you need is a welder and a little bit of imagination :)
jamescaird

Post by jamescaird »

If possible, sell the Accord and buy a cheap truck and a boat with the proceeds. You can find used trucks for nothing. Good luck with getting a real boat, it will open up your fishing opportunities tremendously.
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

The honda wasn't designed to tow, but a small aluminum boat say a pro team 165 aluminum weighs about a 1000 lbs or so, but on a trailer I can pull it by hand, granted there may be a suboptium safety issue, but Braking hard and having the trailer jack knife isnt likely to be a huge problem. you could get a jon boat I supose, thats even smaller.

BTW what 350 acre lake has water skiers on it....ouch
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Your Honda isn't designed to tow. It's too light and too underpowered.
It's built for the best gas mileage possible, which means as light as possible, and the smallest, most fuel efficient engine that it can hold.
You will kill it quickly, and have to buy another car, or spend a ton on brakes, transmission, and even engine work.
Aside from the 2 to 1 ratio of the weight of a tow vehicle to trailer, which is a good rule of thumb when judging what you can tow, a tow package with bigger brakes, reinforced tow point, and trailer lighting is a big upgrade that you'll need, and isn't even available for your Honda.
I know. I have a Honda Civic, and there's no way I'd ever think of towing anything with it.
The real danger, aside from mechanical failer, isn't even you, or you vehicle.
Anyone who has towed a boat has been cut off, forced to brake suddenly, or manuever or accelerate quickly, by the idiots who are on the road with us.
A small, undersized and underpowered tow rig is no setup to have under those conditions.
If you budget is limited, that Hobie Cat kayak looks ideal.
Otherwise, save you money for a truck that can tow, before you spend it on a boat you can't safely tow.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

It's not the towing I would be worried about. Think about pulling the boat out of water on a slick ramp. Your Accord could end up in the water if the ramp is too steep, lack of grip on the tires, etc...

I wouldn't risk it.

My $0.02

If you do find something though, let me know if you want to sell your kickboat. :)