Truck to trailer lights issue

BSmith

Truck to trailer lights issue

Post by BSmith »

Here is my issue. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram and when I hook up the trailer lights to my Z20 I have running lights but dont have stop or turn signals. Replaced both of the LEDs on the trailer thinking that was the problem and still no stop lights or turn signals. Hooked up the trailer to my sons truck (same make and model) and the turn signals and stop lights work fine.

Ok has to be an issue with the truck???

Pulled all of the fuses that I could find under the hood and nothing looked blown or showed signs of being fryed.

To the point now where I need some advice on what to check next. Don't want to have to take it to the Dodge Dealer to figure this out.
DeltaBound

Re: Truck to trailer lights issue

Post by DeltaBound »

If you checked all the possible fuses then more than likely its a ground issue. Check to see if your Ground wire on your trailer is loose or coroded. Ground issues are the most common on trailers.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I had a similar issue with my 2006 GMC Yukon Denali even when it was new; and found the problem was in the factory plug of my Yukon. I was able to remove the plug from it's housing and reposition the wires, and fix it myself.

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
chf8500

Post by chf8500 »

you probably have blown fuses look in the engine compartment fuse box quite sure you will find bad fuses, if not that check your wiring into plug on vehicle corrosion on pegs or wires loose on back side of plug most likley fuses tho since it works on a different truck
Any day on the lake is a great day
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

I have checked the plug at the truck and the ground on the trailer and there are no loose wires or corrosion. I also went through every fuse under the hood and nothing is burnt out.

Any more ideas??????
Marc

Post by Marc »

How did you check the plug at your truck? Put a volt meter on the truck's plug contact that activates the lights that are not working. Do you have power at the contact?

If you have 12v power on those terminals, then the problem HAS to be with the trailer wiring or lights.

ciao,
Marc Marcantonio
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

YA BRETT I WOULD TAKE A TEST LIGHT OR VOLT METER TO THE TRUCK AT THE PLUG IN AND START TUNING ON BREAK LIGHTS TURN SIGNAL AND TAIL LIGHTS ALL ONE AT A TIME TO SEE IF I HAD 12V GOING TO THE BOAT........ IF NOT THEN YOU KNOW ITS NOT THE TRAIER ITS SOMEWHERE ON THE BOAT........... IT EVEYTHING IS WORKING COMING OFF THE TRUCK THEN TRUN TO THE BOAT......

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY DODGE RAM 2500 AND IT ENDED UP BING THE PLUG IN ON THE TRUCK.... WENT AND BOUGHT A NEW ONE AND WALLA SHE WORKS FINE NOW......... JUST HAD TO RE WIRE IT IN..............
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I had a 7 wire plug that looked new on the outside but was trashed on the inside from people pulling on the wire instead of the plug.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
rangerz20

Post by rangerz20 »

Another possibility:
On my Z20 it was a pinched wire inside the tounge pinched by the trailer brake hitch when it went back and fourth. It was a pain to find but once I did, Ifixed it in 10 minutes with a little electrical tape.
Good luck
offduty

Post by offduty »

Either the plug connected to truck, a fuse or ground wire. I used to have light problems all the time and ended up re wiring the trailer on three of my past boats. If you want a no hassle system go with led's only, more expensive but no hassle. Also ground nothing to the trailer as those connections often go bad.

Re wire the whole trailer with led's and solder and shrink wrap all connections. On the pigtail that goes to the trailer run a common ground wire and attach it to all lights so you do not have to ground individual lights to the frame. On the truck buy a pigtail that plugs in and needs no cutting and splicing. I am on my third boat and have done this every time and have never had an issue afterwards.

This does take more time but you have solid connections and no individual lights grounded to the trailer which is a potential weak link waiting to corrode and go bad. Also the led's are kind of expensive but I feel it is a 1 shot deal as they are completely sealed and I have not had one go bad after doing three different trailers.

Most all trailer manufacturers use cheap azz pinch closed no need to strip wire connections. I complained to a local trailer manufacturer about this and he said that no one could be competitive if they wired up trailers in a quality fashion, well those were not his exact words but that is the jist of it.

Good Luck
Rich
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Rule out the trailer if it works on a diffrent truck. I dont know Dodges but Chevys have two fuse locations 1 under the hood and 1 in the cab. Turn on your flashers and go to the plug with a test light. If it dosent light up which from the sounds of it it wont then keep looking for a fuse or replace the truck plug in.
Jim
where do you live?
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

Well I bought a new plug for the truck today from the Dodge dealer. Did not fix the problem, still has the same issue.

I guess I will have to take it to the dealer to try and figure it out.

Sucks!!!!!!!!!
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Where do you live????
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

If you live around Clear Lake I can get you straightened out cheap.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln