Guys remember we have a great sport

Gary Dobyns

Guys remember we have a great sport

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The are many thousand tournaments a year. Cheating is rare. I believe 99.999 % of our anglers are great people, out to compete, rag their buddies, have a great time, and maybe make a few bucks. I HATE shi* like this because it gives our sport a bad name. Mike Hart "people" are few and far between. Hang the bastards, make an example out of them, and go fishing. I agree with many, this was probably not his first time. You will get caught sooner or later and then you screw up your name, family, friends AND you are out of one of the best sports in the world. Hang him, jail him, fine him and forget about him. There are too many great people in this great sport to let a "rare few" slime balls drag us down. I am especially PISSED about this. I had a bunch of Korean anglers come to the Open this year because it was a big deal that i won last year. There was an entire film crew here from Korea, to film the Open. His last day partner was one of these anglers. Korean anglers hold the U.S. tournaments in HIGH reguard. I do TV shows and seminars on every trip to Korea, which is several times a year. Guess what all the questions will be on my next trip? :evil: :evil:

Guys, these are sad days for our sport, BUT, it's an AWESOME sport and it let's don't change everything over "one or a few" PIECE OF SHI* guys. Hang him, make an example out of him, and go fishing.

Also, I was out of the US Open this year with minor back surgery the Thursday prior. Looking forward to next year.
DL

Re: Guys remember we have a great sport

Post by DL »

Gary Dobyns wrote:The are many thousand tournaments a year. Cheating is rare. I believe 99.999 % of our anglers are great people, out to compete, rag their buddies, have a great time, and maybe make a few bucks.
That's why I will be fishing a night tourney tomorrow and the weekend after that, and the weekend after that, and the...well you get the idea. This incident has really got me excited about my next tournament. Yes it was disappointing, but the mere fact that so many are outraged, leads me to believe you are right, 99.99% of us play fair. I think we owe it to ourselves to show up in large numbers at every event, to prove to the non-fishing public and the nay-sayers that WE are the tournament world, and WE represent tournament anglers...not those that give us a black eye....
"Feel the steel"
meadbass

Post by meadbass »

Gary, good statement on this. As long as we have your kind leading the way, our sport will be just fine. It is tragic for sure what happened, but the way Harvey and Bill handled it, Wonbass proved that they are on top of their game. I find it very refreshing that Wonbass handle the situation in an open and honest way, and informed the members about this right away. Kudos to the other orgs that are banning this cheater from future competition. We missed you this year on Lake Mead, but I am sure the bass here are breathing a sigh of relief that the run and gun bassman from Cali was not around to create havoc. I am an AAA and this incident will not deter me from not continuing on learning about this great sport. I sincerley hope you recover from your recent surgery. Please continue to set the example as you are to me a great amBASSador to our sport.
John O'Brien
Kenneth Haring

Post by Kenneth Haring »

Well said Gary. Lets all do our part and keep our sport on top. Ken
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Right on Gary!!! Everything happens for a reason. It's about moving forward and living in the moment. Our sport is awesome!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I agree that this is the tiny exception, not the norm.
I thnk it was probably the act of a desperate man, a one time deal, a chance to try and "get well" all at once, to hit the lottery.
It's too bad it has given tournaments another thing to deal with, especially in these hard economic times, and the sport a black eye.
But it happened, it's being dealt with appropriately, and I think it's time to move on.
Let's focus on fishing, not cheating.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

mark poulson wrote:I agree that this is the tiny exception, not the norm.
I thnk it was probably the act of a desperate man, a one time deal, a chance to try and "get well" all at once, to hit the lottery.
It's too bad it has given tournaments another thing to deal with, especially in these hard economic times, and the sport a black eye.
But it happened, it's being dealt with appropriately, and I think it's time to move on.
BS.
"a one time deal"
Sorry for the highjack but this statement is crap. This was a very well conceived plot at cheating and had it not been so hot he would have gotten away with it. And odds are he has gotten away with it many times before.

Very well put Gary.
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

leachman90 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:I agree that this is the tiny exception, not the norm.
BS.
"a one time deal"
Sorry for the highjack but this statement is crap. This was a very well conceived plot at cheating and had it not been so hot he would have gotten away with it. And odds are he has gotten away with it many times before.

Very well put Gary.
Well, we're all guessing here, aren't we? No one will ever know the entire truth.
So you calling BS means just about as much as my "one time deal" idea.
Opinions. And everyone has them, but they really don't mean much in the end.
The question now is does everyone sit around, rehashing it and blaming every tournament loss they ever had on cheaters, or do we all move forward, and help restore the sport, and support it.
I think it's time to move on.
CLEAN AND DRY
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

YOU DONT START OFF ROBBING BANKS DO YOU???? NO YOU START OFF NOCKING OVER 7-11.... AND THEN MOVE ON TO JOEYS DRY CLEANING..... AND THEN ONE DAY YOU SAY HE LETS TRY A BANK....... COME ON.......... :o :P :P
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Phil Burgess wrote:YOU DONT START OFF ROBBING BANKS DO YOU???? NO YOU START OFF NOCKING OVER 7-11.... AND THEN MOVE ON TO JOEYS DRY CLEANING..... AND THEN ONE DAY YOU SAY HE LETS TRY A BANK....... COME ON.......... :o :P :P
Now you tell me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

As crappy as this topic is, I have read rants and raves on many different web-site regarding Mr harts decision to cheat. Not an error or a mistake a decision. He knew going in there was a risk involved. How long has he been making this decision? Who knows. Nobody knows how much money this guy stole from fellow fishermen, but its now over. I hope we can see some good come out of this bad decision Mr Hart has made. I am sure something positive can come out of this.

Don O
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

gary, i hope your recovering well from your back surgery. sorry you had to miss the event, but with the heat i bet your glad you were home healing :wink: get well and get back fishing :)
Harold M.

Post by Harold M. »

If anyone out there thinks that this an isolated incident you are so naive. cheating is wide spread. If you don't believe that I have a bass boat I want to sell you. perfect condition. cheap.
kb

Post by kb »

Your right on with your post Gary. One of the things that makes this sport so great are the people in it. It was refreshing to see so many people outraged over this, having the feeling that they were kicked in the stomach, they never knew Mike Hart or fished a day against him, many have but they had an instant dislike for what he did, how he did it and most of all where he did it...at one of the most prestigious events in the country, our event the U.S. Open.

I have seen people say this is why they don't fish tournaments or why they won't any longer.....well this is why I will fish more tournamaments, because of the thousands of honest sportsmen that compete on the level each time they enter a tournament that are disgusted with what happened at Lake Mead this week.

My hats off to WON Bass for stepping up, naming names, pointing fingers and for not screwing this one up and leaving no question as to the truth and facts.....Good job Harvey and Billy...

In the next two weeks we have 2 western anglers trying to win their second BASS Angler of the Year Title and another former Western guy trying for his third. We have the best group of anglers from the west heading to Lake Lanier for the Forrest Wood Cup and $500,000 first place...some young warriors and some old legendary Western anglers. Let's shine the light on them and move this sport forward and let WON and Nevada Game and Fish do their jobs and hope they prosecute to the end!

For those of you that want to think this was a one time deal............how is the veiw from fantasyland? This was premeditated and the weights were built in a manner that they would not only harm the fish but they would never come out.....sounds like experience to me!!!!! This was not a guy that was down and out....and I really dont' buy the fact that he borrowed the money to enter the Open and felt the pressure to pay it back he has won tens of thousands of dollars in the past few years in every major team circuit out there..

The sport will go on, it will survive this it has in the past because it is made up of the finest people anywhere.......they are my friends!

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

I'll second that KB! GO GET EM' SKEET!

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Harold M."] you are so naive. cheating is wide spread. quote]

Harold, I respect your opinion but I have a different one. There are a few bad apples in every sport and everything in this world, BUT cheating is NOT wide spread. I flat refuse to believe with all the great people that tourney fish that a bunch of them are cheats. I just spent the afternoon watching a great weigh-in on the Sacramento River. I knew a lot of these guys and as I watched them weigh-in, not once did I ever think about cheaters. We have a great sport. We can support it, have a great time, and make new friends OR we can point fingers, throw stones, and live in a negitive world. I prefer to be positive and move forward.

My biggest fear is if they try to do stupid things that will slow weigh-ins or change our sport. The BAD guy is CAUGHT and gone. Don't make rules that effect everyone for a cheater that is gone. Our sport recieves enough bad press and anti BS already. Let's don't do it to ourselves. Quit giving a$$hole organizations like PETA more ammo.

Great time at the weigh-in today and saw many friends and made a few new ones. It was awesome.
JOHN-CHIN

Post by JOHN-CHIN »

He did not borrow any money to fish the tourny it was given to him from one of his sponsor. So that excuse he made about being pressered to pay back the money he borrowerd is bunch of BS!!!
CHAMPION 210 ElitE
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

For the most part I have been trying to avoid getting caught up in Mr. Heart's cheating issue.

I would however like to agree with Gary. Fishing is a great sport. It can be done at many levels from just fun fishing, family fishing, club tournament and so forth. It can be done just about anywhere and in both fresh and salt water.

While I am sure there may be some rule changes in light of the recent scandal let us hope that cooler, rational heads prevail.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
Harold M.

Post by Harold M. »

I appreciate your position, but I believe that there is massive cheating, getting caught caught is rare. Most organization directors would ignore the obvious rather than cause a hiuge bru ha ha, giving the organization a bad name. I was in it for twenty years, I know what i'm talking about.
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

Thanks KB and Gary. I for one can't wait to get back on the water and fish another tournament. I fished the US Open as a AAA and maybe that is one of the reasons this pisses me off. I would be even madder if I were one of you fine and honest anglers that finished just behind Mike Hart and cost you money and AOY points. BUT on that note I will continue to fish tournaments and keep faith in my fellow anglers and org that I will fish with. With that said I will be re-locating just for the sake of bass fishing tournaments as soon as possible.Just seeing how this one man has effected all of us here gives me more hope. Besides I can't quit until I get up on stage and have a chance to give my 1st acceptness speech after my 1st win. I owe Mr Dobyns at least that much for all the faith he has shown in me. Lord know's I have practiced it a thousands times. :D
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
DL

Post by DL »

Harold M. wrote:If anyone out there thinks that this an isolated incident you are so naive. cheating is wide spread. If you don't believe that I have a bass boat I want to sell you. perfect condition. cheap.
I'll give you $500 for it, sight unseen...
"Feel the steel"
2ndsuks

Post by 2ndsuks »

Harold M. wrote: I believe that there is massive cheating, getting caught caught is rare.
I believe you are FOS on this subject. :twisted:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but an irresponsible statement like the one above has absolutely no merit, it only adds fear and uncertainty to young men and women entering our sport.

Considering how many tournaments there are every year and the number of contestants that participate in them, cheating incidents are extremely rare.

I've fished a lot of tournaments and had my *** whooped on a regular basis, but not once did I think the angler or anglers that won did it by cheating.
Steve Perkins

Post by Steve Perkins »

I dont think cheating is very wide spread in our sport, most guys have respect for others.
And the people that do cheat wont be around long.

I love tournament fishing and one or two bad guys wont ruin it for all of us that are committed to our sport.

John 14:6

Clear Lake Fishing Guide
https://steveperkinsfishing.com/
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Couldn't Agree more with ya Gary.

And in as much as this is a sicken thing that happened, we as a group have to pull together , let this shat go and move on to better and more positive issues here on this Forum and else where. I just can't believe, even in your post Gary, much like the rest of the Forum all week, guys just wanna debate the instance, guys choose not to listen, even to you and git over it.

Let it go guys, let's not give this anymore time than what it's worth! It's done, over, move on to promoting the positive aspects of our sport! It ain't a sad day anymore, it's a great day, the guy got caught, Orgs have responded and HE is paying the ultimate price.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="Cooch"] It ain't a sad day anymore, it's a great day, the guy got caught, Orgs have responded and HE is paying the ultimate price.[/quote]

That is a PERFECT quote Cooch!! The last two words say it all!!!!
Emergency51-KMG365

Post by Emergency51-KMG365 »

California is a unique fishery in the fact that many Pro Bass fisherman from this state maintain full time jobs not related to fishing and still care for their families as well as putting on an amazing display of fishing skills. I think it is important for all the Professional anglers from California to remember that even though we may not see you on ESPN or Versus every weekend , You are HERO'S to many of us. We hold many of you in very high regards. We support your products and sponsors as well as follow your achievments.
While I respect and admire the big name national pros, I always dream to draw a backseat to one of my California hero's like Dobyns, Strelic, Long, Kerr and so on. Just wanted all you anglers that have the title of "Professional Bass Angler" That my image of you all is not tainted , But rather stronger now that I know you guys do it right ! Thanks again !
dtacker

Post by dtacker »

I agree that the important part from all of this is to remember that we do have a great sport. I feel I'm part of a younger generation of (hopeful) bass fishermen, who are lucky to learn from others' mistakes as well as have great figures in the sport to look up to.
Although the sport does have some people that are constantly called out as cheaters, the folks who speed in the 5mph zones, folks who won't greet a stranger at the ramp, who will blow by the guy broke down miles from blast off or the ones who won't stop to help another fisherman broken down on the side of the road. From an outside perspective these people get a lot of the attention of our sport. This is the sad part to me.
I am personally thankful for the people who benefit the sport big and small, guys who year after year, time after time give back with information, a helping hand, and most importantly as ROLE MODELS for our youth both within and outside the sport. People like Gary Dobyns, Cooch, Bobby Barrack, Kent Brown, the list goes on... These people are the ones that represent Bass Fishing as what it is to me. I have learned a lot from bass fishing growing up around the sport and it doesn't all have to do with catching fish. There are a lot of honest people involved in our sport who do their best to make sure that others get to enjoy it as well. For me, this will always outlast some WORTHLESS cheater.

Dustin Tacker
g-man

Post by g-man »

Cooch wrote: let this shat go and move on to better and more positive issues!
Ready for the Snag proof Partner?

:P
100% LL
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

dtacker wrote:I agree that the important part from all of this is to remember that we do have a great sport. I feel I'm part of a younger generation of (hopeful) bass fishermen, who are lucky to learn from others' mistakes as well as have great figures in the sport to look up to.
Although the sport does have some people that are constantly called out as cheaters, the folks who speed in the 5mph zones, folks who won't greet a stranger at the ramp, who will blow by the guy broke down miles from blast off or the ones who won't stop to help another fisherman broken down on the side of the road. From an outside perspective these people get a lot of the attention of our sport. This is the sad part to me.
I am personally thankful for the people who benefit the sport big and small, guys who year after year, time after time give back with information, a helping hand, and most importantly as ROLE MODELS for our youth both within and outside the sport. People like Gary Dobyns, Cooch, Bobby Barrack, Kent Brown, the list goes on... These people are the ones that represent Bass Fishing as what it is to me. I have learned a lot from bass fishing growing up around the sport and it doesn't all have to do with catching fish. There are a lot of honest people involved in our sport who do their best to make sure that others get to enjoy it as well. For me, this will always outlast some WORTHLESS cheater.

Dustin Tacker
WORD!!!!!
CLEAN AND DRY
kb

Post by kb »

dtacker.......thanks! :lol:

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

A great sport indeed, I witnessed a father son team of Cramer and Cramer, young Cramer cought his first DD bass on Clear Lake in a Tournament on 6lb dropshot micro light rod. This young man was stoked and took down first with 26.80 beating out the 2nd place team by .40 oz

I saw several father son teams out there showing the way to the future of the sport...these are the POSITIVE things that happen all the time in our sport. Dont let this one negative effect ALL of the positive.
ASD

Post by ASD »

ash wrote:A great sport indeed, I witnessed a father son team of Cramer and Cramer, young Cramer cought his first DD bass on Clear Lake in a Tournament on 6lb dropshot micro light rod. This young man was stoked and took down first with 26.80 beating out the 2nd place team by .40 oz

I saw several father son teams out there showing the way to the future of the sport...these are the POSITIVE things that happen all the time in our sport. Dont let this one negative effect ALL of the positive.
+1

if in dout look @ this
http://westernbass.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59584&f=2
Buzzbommer

Post by Buzzbommer »

Hey guys and gals...

Chris from Tylure here. And while I tried my best to stay quiet and see how this played out, I felt compelled to post tonight due to the post's on this page. Mostly because of the post's left by Gary Dobyns and Mr. Cooch, and I'm glad to see that most agree.

This is the greatest sport in the world. We are blessed to have the waterways we have here in SoCal all the way up north and beyond, and being allowed to fish them is especially sweet.

Mike Hart took alot of my cash and I'm pissed at that. What a chump. But I feel this sport is rid of a cancerous tumor... and how happy is that...? Goooooodbye...!!!

Anyway... we have to move on as the previous post's I referred to say. We cannot dwell on this situation as it is ugly and a definate black mark in the history of this bitchin' sport...

Get over it folk's...!!! Sign up for tournament's at your favorite places...!!! Not all of us are cheaters... not by a long shot...
DPetty

Post by DPetty »

(qoute)Harold M.

If anyone out there thinks that this an isolated incident you are so naive. cheating is wide spread. If you don't believe that I have a bass boat I want to sell you. perfect condition. cheap. (qoute)

(qoute)Harold M.

I appreciate your position, but I believe that there is massive cheating, getting caught caught is rare. Most organization directors would ignore the obvious rather than cause a hiuge bru ha ha, giving the organization a bad name. I was in it for twenty years, I know what i'm talking about. (qoute)

I have a hard time with a guy coming out throwing rocks at this sport and in the same breath claims his fished with people he BELIEVES were cheating for twenty years.

If you fished this sport for twenty years I have to believe the GOOD far outweighed the bad.

As far as cheating in this sport being widespread I have to go with 2ndsuks on this one.

This sport is made up of many different people from many different walks of life but, our commonality is the LOVE of this sport. We meet at the tournaments, greet one another with a handshake, compete against one another, love winning, hate losing but, regardless we maintain a positive image for and of this sport.

So, we should all keep a positive attitude and go out and fish.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DPetty wrote:(qoute)Harold M.

If anyone out there thinks that this an isolated incident you are so naive. cheating is wide spread. If you don't believe that I have a bass boat I want to sell you. perfect condition. cheap. (qoute)

(qoute)Harold M.

I appreciate your position, but I believe that there is massive cheating, getting caught caught is rare. Most organization directors would ignore the obvious rather than cause a hiuge bru ha ha, giving the organization a bad name. I was in it for twenty years, I know what i'm talking about. (qoute)

I have a hard time with a guy coming out throwing rocks at this sport and in the same breath claims his fished with people he BELIEVES were cheating for twenty years.

If you fished this sport for twenty years I have to believe the GOOD far outweighed the bad.

As far as cheating in this sport being widespread I have to go with 2ndsuks on this one.

This sport is made up of many different people from many different walks of life but, our commonality is the LOVE of this sport. We meet at the tournaments, greet one another with a handshake, compete against one another, love winning, hate losing but, regardless we maintain a positive image for and of this sport.

So, we should all keep a positive attitude and go out and fish.
Amen!
CLEAN AND DRY
Nitro5150

Post by Nitro5150 »

Well said Gary, Cooch and kb.

Our sport is one when a competitor breaks down, you take his fish and partner to weigh ins, even if he's got you beat.

Our sport is one where you drive back out and tow him in.

Our sport is one where you drive all night from out of state, just cuz you heard Cooch was short boaters for the Proteen.

Our sport is one where you give your back up trolling motor away after day one to a guy thats in the top 10, and your not.

Our sport is one where you let your buddy take your boat to Louisanna for FLW, cuz his motor fell off in the Colombia River. ( still dont know how Borofka did that one :D )

Our sport is all of this and more for one reason, and one reason only. The People who participate. I couldn't even begin to list the great people I have met through of tournament fishing. Our sport is made up of amazing people, and thats what makes the sport amazing. One a.h. creep cannot change that.