On the lighter side, This is why I love my job!

Cooch

On the lighter side, This is why I love my job!

Post by Cooch »

I had an exceptionally rewarding day yesterday with a repeat client of 6 years ago named Justin. Tuesday evening I received a call from him with an unusual request to meet him at Brannon Island. Odd as it seemed, I agreed to do so, he indicated to me he had a fear of crossing bridges. Upon arriving at Brannon Island @ 6:30am, we found the park to be closed on Wednesdays. Upon approaching Justin, he was quite pail and appeared very unsettled. So I suggested, "Hey, let's just go over to B&W". He then sputtered out, "No, ya know Cooch, it's been 30+ years and it's time I man up, let's go launch over by yer place. I need to cross that bridge today."

I again asked him if he was sure, we didn't have to cross that bridge. He again said, "No, I really need to do this. I just want you to understand my fear Cooch. I'm a Vietnam vet, during my last days over there, my convoy was attacked while on a bridge, the enemy snuck up on Motor cycles and blew it up as we were crossing. I've had this fear ever since, and have always avoided bridges since the last time I crossed this one and froze up at the top halting hours of traffic."

Whoa, now it makes sense. This totally caught me off gaurd as this was certainly not one of the scenario's that had raced thru my mind the past 15 hours. Now I'm in a quandry and not sure what ta do or say. And at that moment a lil light just popped on, and brought a whole new meaning to me about the old cliche, "Let's Cross that bridge when we come to it".

I walked up to Justin and put my arm around him and said, "Look brother, we're gonna cross that bridge, just know one thing, your friend Cooch is here with you, and the good Lord is gonna watch us every step and get us accross that bridge. I'll lead ya over, you just focus and keep yer eyes straight on the Big Hammer decal on the back of my truck and I'll see ya on the other side.

So off we went, and I took extreme caution to assure all the traffic had passed, so that when we pulled out, it was just me and Justin hitting 160 south. It seemed like an eternity going up and over the Antoich Bridge yesterday morning. A route that I have countless times taken for granted and crossed myself with no other thoughts other than where are those fish hangin out in Sherman today. Today, my thoughts were filled with Justin's delima. The entire time I'm watching those two headlights as we creep up and over that bridge, praying for him to be strong and not stop. Those two head lights stay right there behind me all the way. I immediately pulled off at Wilbur, stopped at the bottom of the exit and jumped out to see how Justin was doing. He was white as a ghost, sweat beading down his forehead and breathing heavily. Yet he had the biggest shat eating grin on his face one could imagine.

I swing open his door and grab his fist claiming, "You did it brother!" All he could say was "Yas, I (Expletive) did it, Thank you Cooch. I (Expletive) did it, I crossed that bridge, I finally crossed that (Expletive) bridge. Let's go fishin!

By the time we got to Sunset to launch the boat, Justin I think, lost complete track that we were going fishing this day. He was so excited, relieved and thankful he'd met this fear of 30+ years head on, finally. We get to our start spot over in Latham and are blessed once again with a very good start to our fishing day. The man had a whole new life about him. After catching three fish on three consecutive casts, he tells me of how he used to fish with his dad all the time, theyd come down and fish the delta. But since the war, he had avoided coming with is dad here to fish the river. His dad has since passed, and he was sad he'd not ever come this way with him since. He also indicated that his wife had passed away several years ago, and wishes she was here to experience him crossing that bridge. This has been such a huge, distressing battle for him most of his life.

At that point I jumped in and told him, "Justin, your Wife and Dad are all too aware of what you did today. The two of them have been with you the entire way today and they are so proud of you. Things like this in our lives don't happen for no reason. They and the Lord, put this together for you. Today was the time, for you to cross that bridge and move on to enjoy the rest of your life. They are so happy and proud of you. I too, am so proud of you for grabbing and tackling this task. I am also so fortunate to have been the selected one to help you thru this, this did not happen by chance. Today is also my thanks, and a small appreciative gesture to all you did for this country in that fruitless war. You've done yer dad proud brother".

And we caught more fish this morning, not big fish, but fish all the same. Justin didn't care either, he said it was more fish than he'd caught here all year long. He was estatic to learn a new technique and ta figure out why his boat was listing and how to use some of his GPS/Sonar functions, AND he crossed that (Expletive) bridge today. This has been the greatest day in my life today. Let's git back to the launch, I can't wait to cross that bridge again. And you tell these Delta fish Cooch, I'm comming back down here soon and often and am gonna make up for all the time I missed fishing this area! I CROSSED THAT (Expletive) BRIDGE!"

I could give a rats *** what people say or think, it has no bearing or affect on the great things that happen to me in my life. Fishing is always fun for me, as it should be for everyone. When yer having fun every time you go out, you get the chance to touch peoples lives, and that is something I'll cherris till the day I pass.
Last edited by Cooch on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Re: On the lighter side, This is why I love my job!

Post by mark poulson »

Good for him, and good for you. :D
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Nunyo Bizness

Post by Nunyo Bizness »

Excellent story Cooch. Way to be the man on the spot. In my life I have seen god work in wonderful ways and this story fits that.

Thanks Cooch
John
I came , I saw, I Cleaned and Dried.
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

Cooch,

You are so fortunate that you where the one chosen to help this man. As you know, God works through us to help others. Most of the time we don't see this (or understand it) when it is happening. You did, and were blessed with helping this man overcome his fears. Job well done my friend!
Tony "B"
bazzocco@surewest.net
CBAF Leadership Team
www/thecbaf.com
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Andy told me about his client trip after bowling on Tuesday, and I thought it odd that the guy had such serious fear of heights that he couldn't cross the bridge. Given that I have no fear of heights myself, it wasn't something I could relate to, but I do know there are many phobias out there that paralyze folks in their daily lives.

When he got back from the trip yesterday afternoon he sent me an email detailing that experience, and it all came clear. It brought a tear to my eye!

God did do a great thing, bringing Justin to hook up with Andy yesterday, and indeed works in mysterious and wonderful ways.

Good on you brother for handling it the way you did, and thanks again for sharing your rewarding experience!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Murph

Post by Murph »

Nice Story, Cooch !! Can't wait for you to hit the Trail again, I really miss those stories.
It might be lonely at the Top, but it's a bitch, at the Bottom !
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

GREAT STORY OLE MAN......... THATS ONE OF THE REASONS I HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED UP TO YA COOCHY... IVE NEVER SEEN YA WITH A BAD ATTIDUDE, A FROWN ON YOUR FACE, OR A HARSH WORD....YOU ARE FOR SURE ONE OF A KIND.....ALWAYS WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND THERE TO HELP NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION OR CIRCUMSTANCE.....I DONT KNOW HOW MANY TIMES IVE PULLED UP THERE AT YOUR DOCK NOT KNOWING IF YOU WERE AROUND OR NOT AND JUMPING OUT YELLING '''COOCH WHERE ARE YA ''' ONLY TO FIND YOU DOWN AT THAT DANG TREGER SMOKIN UP SOMTHIN YELLIN BACK ''''DOWN HERE PHILLIS ''''.. NEVER A MOAN OR GROAN BUT ALWAYS A ""WHATS UP BROTHER"" AND HOURS OF TALKIN FISHIN.....

AND THIS IS WHY I LOVE TO FISH.... YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THE COUNTLESS HOURS STANDING TOGEATHER ON A BOAT MIGHT BRING, FROM CUTTIN IT UP WITH GOOD BUDDYS, TO HELPING OUT AN OLD FRIEND WITH SOMTHING HE HAS BEEN STRUGGLEING WITH FOR A LONG TIME....YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THE GOOD LORD IS GONNA PUT ON YOUR PLATE....
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
DG

Post by DG »

Cooch, you started my day with a wonderful story! You were so blessed to be the one to help this young man. It's not often that the Lord selects one of us to help with his plan and you got to have that experience. For you, a job well done! and for him a reminder that he's not alone.

Maybe he can cross that bridge one more time and join us for the Toys For Troops Tournament in November as I would really like to meet him and thank him for his service.
"And Jesus said unto them,come ye after me and I will make you become fishers of men"
<+}}}><
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Awesome.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Todd Dunlap

Post by Todd Dunlap »

Andy,thank you BrothA!Awesome.The hole point in Life is to Help each other.You have been a Great example to me and i am Proud to call you my Friend!Keep touching others like only you can do.YOU ROCK!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Thank you for sharing that experiane, I will be honest I logged in this AM to see what type of BS drama was going on now and you set my head on strait.

thank you Cooch for what you were for this man and for who you are to me as a friend and the fishing community.

I have goose chills from this story - thank you my brother for reminding me the subtle things I get from fishing.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Great story, may the Lord continue to bless this man with healing.
Gracias

PS On that lighter side and knowing you, I kept waiting for the punch line; where a great white jumped up and took off his arm or something- never came!!? :D
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Jerry Fournier

Post by Jerry Fournier »

Cooch,
This story was awesome....WOW thanks for sharing it with all of us. For as long as I have known you; you have been, and still are making a difference in peoples lives. You are making a difference in this world of ours as well. It does rub off on to others.

My Friend Dave Tencati has shared this quote from the Bible with me many times Proverbs 27:17 "Iron sharpens Iron one man sharpens the other"

What goes around will come around my friend.

Thank you,
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

cooch, what a great story. and to think he CAME TO YOU, to overcome his fear.... that must be very special for you as well. 30 years is a long time to fear something that seems so insignificent as crossing a bridge, your words of wisdom and kindness has freeded him of this horrible memory... your a good man charlie brown :wink:
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Awsummm Cooch.GOD know you can do the job for that man and sure enough GOD picked the right man.GOD bless you Cooch.
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Cooch, we don't really know each other (which is amazing since we've both been around this industry a long time) but I must say that the story you shared with us this morning was really moving.

I have always respected you for sharing your fishing knowledge the way you do. But now, I respect you on a whole new level. Thank you for sharing this awesome story! And a BIG congrats to Justin for crossing that bridge!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
markguyver

Post by markguyver »

Cooch, thank you for sharing your day with us, justins victory gives us all the courage to get over our next bridge thx mark
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

we take alot for granted sometimes. WAY TO GO JUSTIN!

Thanks for sharin' Andy.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

WOW!!

Great read. It'll be a great memory for both of you. Priceless!!!
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

To bad I did not read this story this morning – it would have made my day even better. Andy that was one outstanding story and even a better outcome. There are a lot of our returning Vets that have dilemma from events that have happen to them. I’m glad you were there to help Justin face his fear and that the Lord to guide your actions.
ASD

Post by ASD »

ash wrote:Thank you for sharing that experiane, I will be honest I logged in this AM to see what type of BS drama was going on now and you set my head on strait.

thank you Cooch for what you were for this man and for who you are to me as a friend and the fishing community.

I have goose chills from this story - thank you my brother for reminding me the subtle things I get from fishing.
+1
dbbasser

Post by dbbasser »

Thanks for sharing Cooch 8) I can relate to Justin's fear that bridge use to get me a little queasy, narrow, two way, high and no stopping. Glad he was able to overcome fear with your help.

DB
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

dbbasser wrote:Thanks for sharing Cooch 8) I can relate to Justin's fear that bridge use to get me a little queasy, narrow, two way, high and no stopping. Glad he was able to overcome fear with your help.

DB
DB - I feel you on that one, never to the point of paralysis and there are still times that I white knuckle it, esp in the fog. So on that very small level I can relate to some of the stuff that comes up for me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

When I grow up can I talk about my self in the third person?? :lol: :lol:

Nice job COUCH!
OG on WB since 1993
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

You should start calling yourself "The Mike"

It has a nice ring to it. :P
corkvet

Post by corkvet »

Having been in the veteran's asssistance programs for more than 15 years and seen a lot of guys with issues; it sometimes takes just one caring person to help lighten the load. Wow, great job Cooch, ur special!!
YZKEN250

Post by YZKEN250 »

Good job Cooch. Oh and I have a fear of catching alot of really big bass, can you help me out. :lol:
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

Mr. C,

I just read this thread and you did one hell of a job in bolstering my confidence! I went back over that _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Bridge alone this time. I damn near didn't do it as I passed Brannon Island but I thought about your Truck and the Hammer Sign. I went over and drove all the way down Hwy 4 and crossed all those Bridges too. I did this all on Sunday morning.

On our trip I learned more about my Boat, how it was set up and the handling of the Chine Walking and the GPS settings. I caught fish in areas that I thought would not produce fish. To sum it up, I learned a lot and I am so glad that I booked the trip and you accepted! I want to thank you for the best day I have had in years on the water. You showed me patience and understanding and I feel like a two ton weight was lifted off of my Mind! I still don't care for that Bridge but the fear was met head on and now that I am retired full time I can put some serious time into the Delta!!! You are the MAN and all I can say is WOOOO I crossed that Damn BRIDGE! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
Paul Matthews

Post by Paul Matthews »

Nice story. Not many people would give the support you did Cooch. My hats off to you.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

After we long-time guides think we have seen it all, a great event like this can happen. Not many would make this day so enjoyable for all of us to share - partly because of your great writing skills! Great inspiring story Cooch!!
Fly'in V

Post by Fly'in V »

Your one hell of a guide Cooch!

Fly'in V
PISCIS DIEM (Fish the Day)
Fly'in V

correction

Post by Fly'in V »

Maybe I should say, One heavenly guide...
PISCIS DIEM (Fish the Day)
Dom

Post by Dom »

Great Story Cooch , Its great that you helped reather then mock or make fun of him. Your a class act! :D :D :D :D

now get out there and figure out how to get them big girls to bite and PM me the secret :D :D :D :D :D
Tight Lines Dom