Big Bait Storage

ChaChaChicken

Big Bait Storage

Post by ChaChaChicken »

The more I buy "big baits" the less storage I have for them. Wonder if anyone can share how they store there BBZ's, Triple Trouts, Hudds, ect in an organized fashion. I have seen modified clear plastic boxes w/ all thread thru them to hang off of, but I don't see how that type of storage doesn't beat your baits up? I am sure this question has been asked before, I just haven't seen it. I am this close to just buying a couple storage bins, and keeping everything in there. :?:
N.A.R

Re: Big Bait Storage

Post by N.A.R »

Ask any question you want, these clowns that say search is your best friend are just that clowns

I suggest using 2 dollar wally world tuperware and putting that 30 dollar bait back in its original package after use
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

There are several ready made systems available (check Tacklewarehouse), but I'm too cheap to buy them.
I took a 3700 plano box, the big one with no dividers, and drill 4 rows of small holes, 3 each, in one end. I threaded a small paper clip up through each hole, so only the smaller part was in the plano, and bent the part that was out over so it lays flat, and won't go back into the plano.
I can hang twelve 8" huds, or QTs (my own four piece baits), or eight 8" BBZ 1's (they're a little fatter) or any other lure that's not longer than the box.
I stand them on their ends in my boat, so the baits hang vertically, tail down.
I have several that are over two years old, and they're still working.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

You can try baitwraps, like the ones made by eyesurrender. They'll keep your bait organized and protected without taking up much room.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I hope I dont get cheap heat for this, Tom Leogrande did a great video on how to cheaply make a swimbait box to store the big baits and keep em strait. I believe you can find it on Monster tackle
davet.

Post by davet. »

I've been using those plastic potato chip cans. Lays makes a good can, you know, the kind that stack like Pringles.
If you want, you could hook a wire to the lid and hang a snap swivel to keep the bait from bouncing on the tail too much.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
Marty

Post by Marty »

I when to Target and into the school section and purchase soft sided container that holds ballpoint pens, markers, and highlighters. They measurer about 4x9x2 (est.). For the longer bait you can lay them down from corner to corner giving you 3 more inches but then you can only put one bait. They come in all different colors to include pink but I when with the black and blue ones. The containers close with a zipper and can hold one to two swimbaits. Then I write on the out side what type of bait is in side. The only bad thing about them is you can’t see into them without unzipping. They cost $2.00 each.

I’m also starting to put foam that I cut out to the size of my swimbait but that is taking a little more time and still working on that.

What I like about them is that they don’t take up room like a plano box and I don’t have to stand them up in the boat
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mrfishin86

Post by mrfishin86 »

gofish42189 wrote:You can try baitwraps, like the ones made by eyesurrender. They'll keep your bait organized and protected without taking up much room.
+1 on the eye surrender wraps, at home I keep all my big baits in Markeys boxes then before I head out I pick out the ones that I might use and put them in a couple eyesurrender wraps, very convenient and they don't take up a ton of room.

http://www.basstackledepot.com/eyesurre ... ckets.aspx

check 'em out, you won't be dissapointed, they are also extremely well made and very durable
mvanguilder

Post by mvanguilder »

www.baitbarn.net he has them in stock. Boxes ready to go.

Mike
WishinIwerFishin

Post by WishinIwerFishin »

Plano 3730, best big bait box I have used. I've never tried any of the expensive swimbait specific boxes, but for $5 at wallmart you cant beat a 3730. The one I have sitting in my office right now has four 8" wood punkers, eight 6" woods, five 6" plastic punkers, and 4 pencil poppers packed in it.
www.baysicscreenprint.com
ChaChaChicken

Post by ChaChaChicken »

Thanks to everyone for your responses. The video was helpful ash. I also like the chip container idea to keep expensive baits to themselves. Thanks again
JDG

Post by JDG »

I found this box http://www.lakewoodproducts.com/mm5/mer ... ode=tackle A048, A049

(happens to be on clearance at the moment) I made one similar for half the clearance price with a 36 can or so igloo soft cooler(soft on outside with that light rigid inner). Hung some dowels (they lift right out) and then secured snaps with some light wire, and then hung plastic pieces in between the baits to keep the hooks from tangling. Its basically what Tom Leogrande showed, just on a bigger scale. My box holds 22 hanging baits up to 10" long. Then has pockets that can hold the hard baits, little creeper trash fishes, baitsmiths and opreys, rigging supplies, scent, etc.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I've found that the only way to keep soft plastic swimbaits, and hardbaits with soft plastic tails, straight, so the plastic doesn't kink, is either keep them in their original package, use a soft wrap, or hang them tail down vertically.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY