re-finish the punker?

fishinfool74

re-finish the punker?

Post by fishinfool74 »

What is the best thing to use for a clear coat on the punker. The clear coat has chipped off one of my baits and I would like to seal it back up so it does not swell.
Any help would be great, thanks
some guy

Re: re-finish the punker?

Post by some guy »

here is the best guy to ask

http://blackdogbaits.com/contact/
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

The easiest stuff to use is 30 minute devcon 2 ton epoxy. Thoroughly clean the bait with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Mix the epoxy and apply to the bait with a non shedding stiff bristle brush. You will have to rotate the bait for about an hour to prevent drips and sagging.
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
JustinD

Post by JustinD »

My punkers wear there "chew marks" like battle scars.
LL South
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

+1
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

lunker punker wrote:The easiest stuff to use is 30 minute devcon 2 ton epoxy. Thoroughly clean the bait with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Mix the epoxy and apply to the bait with a non shedding stiff bristle brush. You will have to rotate the bait for about an hour to prevent drips and sagging.
You can also slip a baggie over your index finger, and use that to spread the epoxy. No bubbles, no bristles, easy, clean, throw away.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

mark poulson wrote:
lunker punker wrote:The easiest stuff to use is 30 minute devcon 2 ton epoxy. Thoroughly clean the bait with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Mix the epoxy and apply to the bait with a non shedding stiff bristle brush. You will have to rotate the bait for about an hour to prevent drips and sagging.
You can also slip a baggie over your index finger, and use that to spread the epoxy. No bubbles, no bristles, easy, clean, throw away.
I quit finger painting years ago Mark. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I am glad you are still staying youthful though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

My only problem with the baggie method is when I forget what I'm doing, and pick my nose.
Messy, and it takes a ton of alcohol to get that stuff out of the nose hairs. :wink:
CLEAN AND DRY
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

OUCH! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have lost a fair share of hair from epoxy myself. :lol: :oops: The funniest is when my dog gets epoxy on his fur from laying under a wet bait. :lol: Its there for at least a month. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Super glue! This work great for water proofing wood baits. Make sure your bait is all the way dried out though cuz trapped moisture will cause the rest of your paint to bubble and crack.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Ceasar,
I use super glue on my balsa bait, both as a sealer and to harden them a little.
It's light, and soaks in, so I can do two coats.
But I've stopped making jointed wood swimbaits, because I couldn't get a sealer that really protected the wood, and my paint would always fail, sooner or later.
I switched to PVC decking, which is totally waterproof, and haven't had a problem since I made the switch.
Even if I hit a rock, and slightly dent the lure, the paint job holds up.
What a pleasure not to have to worry about water penetration!
CLEAN AND DRY
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Mark,
Ive seen alot of your baits on TU. I post as toxicbaits, but i dont post many pics due to a low quality camera. I havent made the transition to the pvc decking yet but it sounds interesting. I have a type of lumber I use that I am very satisfied with that doesnt absorb much water at all. a little minwax hardener and it works good. Ive never seen anyone bring it up in discussions on wood type to use, so I have been hush hush about it. The guys i make baits for dont want me to saying anything either! HAR!
PVC is on the table for some R and D though thats for sure.
Ceaser
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Cesear,
If you're ever down in LA, you can stop by my house and I'll give you some of the AZEK decking to try.
CLEAN AND DRY
froteur

Post by froteur »

mark poulson wrote:Cesear,
If you're ever down in LA, you can stop by my house and I'll give you some of the AZEK decking to try.
that's the stuff my new deck is made out of.
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Ceaser wrote:Super glue! This work great for water proofing wood baits. Make sure your bait is all the way dried out though cuz trapped moisture will cause the rest of your paint to bubble and crack.
+10000000 I use the super glue all the time for quick fixes. I like to use a sharpie and fill the gashes in with red before i glue them. i put the glue over that and it looks like a slimy wound.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

froteur wrote:
I think you made a good choice of materials.
What color scheme did you pick?
It's good stuff. It last forever, and is as buoyant as poplar. Plus it's hard and strong. Ideal for making jointed swimbaits.
If you have any of the stuff left over, and Ceasar lives near you, maybe you could turn him on to some.
CLEAN AND DRY
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Word! If ya got some Aztek decking and live near the delta... I can fab up a swimbait/wakebait in return for the material. I'd say thats a pretty fair trade!
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Ceasar,
This link should give you the dealer locater for AZEK decking:

http://www.azek.com/where-to-buy.html
CLEAN AND DRY
froteur

Post by froteur »

mark poulson wrote:
froteur wrote:
I think you made a good choice of materials.
What color scheme did you pick?
It's good stuff. It last forever, and is as buoyant as poplar. Plus it's hard and strong. Ideal for making jointed swimbaits.
If you have any of the stuff left over, and Ceasar lives near you, maybe you could turn him on to some.
i used the gray .... actually the contractor used gray. i'll have to look and see if there is any sitting around. on the other hand, i could probably get some scraps from the contractor for caesar.
froteur

Post by froteur »

Ceaser wrote:Word! If ya got some Aztek decking and live near the delta... I can fab up a swimbait/wakebait in return for the material. I'd say thats a pretty fair trade!
caesar,

i'll see if i can dig up some of this for you. what size of a piece do you need.

please email me at pgseto@gmail.com

thanks.

perry