salty dogs

SLoGiN

salty dogs

Post by SLoGiN »

i wonder if any of you guys remember a lure called salty dog shrimp...i believe it was made by bagley...we used to fish this bait in the south bay at night and it may have been the first swimbait...not sure...it had an elongated one ounce leadhead and a plastic shrimp shaped tail about 5 inches long and came in chartuese and hot pink...the only two colors...the secret to this bait was a small dental rubber band....you would tie the line to the eye like normal then bring the line back to where the jighead and tail meet , then put the small rubber band over the line and into the opening between jighead and tail....this would make the line come from that opening about an inch away from the eye....this would make the jighead dig into the bottom bringing the tail up and it was deadly...you would just drag it with the tide and that tail would kick like hell....without that dental rubber band noone got bit...there was a huge demand for salty dogs back in the late 70's...early 80's....i finally found a simular jighead over at jon waltons and put a big hammer swimbait on it. and one of those wacky rig little rubber bands...we will see if it will work in the delta....im betting it will...ill let you know...im going out monday and try it