What are the best trolling motor batteries

bmshepherd

What are the best trolling motor batteries

Post by bmshepherd »

I bought what I thought were excellent batteries for my trolling motor. AC Delco - Voyager M27MF with 600-CCA. With 6 months of use these batteries will only last a few hours of trolling motor use. A mechanic told me these batteries are not for continuous use like a trolling motor. I dont understand what the groups mean or how to choose the right battery. Any info will help...thanks
dobynsrods.com
propointlures.com
BS'r

Re: What are the best trolling motor batteries

Post by BS'r »

I used to have thermo's, I thought they were good. Last few set have come from wall-mart. They are not so good and here's what I found out from trollingmotorbattery.org

Quote:
Another aspect of a good trolling motor battery is the brand. Believe it or not you get what you bay for with deep cycle batteries. The most popular place to buy a marine batter is at Wal-Mart. This should be avoided a trolling motor battery from Walmart might not be the quality you’re looking for. They carry Everstart MAXX valve regulated lead batteries which will have not have the longevity of a quality flooded cell lead acid battery. These type of batteries can be refilled with electrlite and will tend to have a longer life…up to 4-5 years. The key is quality brands like Trojan, Exide, Optima, Crown and Glentronics are all good quality batteries. With quality comes price and the initial cost of a quality trolling motor marine battery will keep you on the water longer…which is what you want…right?

I never knew that..... good luck.
crankster123

Post by crankster123 »

I would recommend Optima Blue top batteries. They are more expensive, but are made to hold charges longer and can recharge more times than the average battery. Since they last longer, in the long run you will probably spend less money buying these than constantly replacing cheaper batteries.
Life is good today
-Zac Brown Band
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

crankster123 wrote:I would recommend Optima Blue top batteries. They are more expensive, but are made to hold charges longer and can recharge more times than the average battery. Since they last longer, in the long run you will probably spend less money buying these than constantly replacing cheaper batteries.
Also if you get swamped they still work, a little saftey valve when you need the TM in an emergancy.
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
bmshepherd

Post by bmshepherd »

I was told that optima or gell cell batteries if drained completely can not be recharged. is this true. I have also heard that lead/acid batteries are the better option. I think that i need to get batteries with the correct group number and cranking amps but i dont know what to get
dobynsrods.com
propointlures.com
TXRIGGED

Post by TXRIGGED »

I did a full blown power ranking of all deep cycle batteries a few years ago. I listed 'em all (Trojan, Optima, Everstarts, Interstate, etc). Then I compiled all their information (weight, cost, CCA, MCA, Reserve Capacity, etc). After listing all their statistics, I ranked 'em all according to weight, then assigned each battery a # (ie; 1, 2, 3, 4, etc). Then I re-ranked them according to cost, assigned a ranking #, then re-ranked them according to CCA, gave 'em a #, etc, etc. Then I added up their total ranking. The battery with the lowest # was (in my estimation) the best battery overall. That battery was the SRM-29 Interstate Deep Cycle battery.

For me, I wasn't too concerned with weight, but after speaking to a bunch of anglers, the subject kept coming up. For me I was mostly concerned about Reserve Capacity. But, at $120 per battery, I expected them to last me at least two years.

Add it up. 3 trolling motor batteries = $360 for two years. After 6 years, I would effectively spend $1080 in batteries. I figured that if I bought Optimas at around $220, and they lasted me 3 years, then I would've spent $1320 over a 6 year period. Therefore, for me, the Interstates were the way to go.

Yeah, I have to pay a little attention to the distilled water levels in the cells. But, Interstate offers a reasonable warranty, they are a little heavier, but they give me a full day of hard trolling motor service on the water.

Now, you're thinking I've got way too much time on my hands, but it's a very important aspect of bass fishing, and that's how I approached it.

There's really only three manufacturers of batteries out there. All the battery companies set up their specification requirements, brand the batteries, and market them. Don't worry about the label.

For Cranking batteries, I was more concerned about Cold Cranking Amps and Marine Cranking Amps. But still, overall, the Interstate battery was the best value. I went witht he 27M-XHD.

I hope this helps.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Suggest that you use the search tool; "AGM " and read several very good threads on trolling motor batteries.
Tom
PS; click on the referenced threads displayed to get to the original post and related threads.
LEN B

Post by LEN B »

Over the years ive used a few batteries, car truck camper boat. Its always the same old thing. Buy a 5 year battery goes bad in 3. Take it back gets pro rated = new battery plus more money stuck with the same thing. Then you don't check the water now its your falt. My vote goes to Optima. Spent $850 4 years ago on three 31ms. Now its back the boat up plug in the cord your done. And all the power I need. LEN :D
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd34b3127ccec0ca2f54d84500000010O00AbtGbho2bsmIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

BMSHEPERD, All the major brand batteries are good batteries, Price is a good indicator of what you will get AGM are not always the best battery for every application. BUT if it goes in a boat, including cranking it must be a deep cycle.

Take a look at this artical, it should be of some help:
http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/libra ... ml?id=3282
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
DG

Post by DG »

I have used Stowaway batteries for about 13 years. They are the only batteries I have ever used and with the exception of about 3+ years of normal service, none have ever failed early. My fist set lasted almost 5 years and as I used the boat more, the time dropped to over 3 years. They are made by Exide now and are very well rated. The only place around Sacto to get them is in Woodland at the Tractor Supply store. They run about $90 each and I'll put them up against any others.
"And Jesus said unto them,come ye after me and I will make you become fishers of men"
<+}}}><
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Exide does not make batteries, as most suppliers do they have them made for them by Johnson controls. I believe there are only two battery manufactures at this time, Johnson Controls and Deka. That does not mean that most batteries are the same. Each suppliers picks their own specifications. Stowaways are a good battery though as well as many others. Stowaway is like a model name. Napa used to sell the stowaway when Exide provided their batteries, now they buy direct from Johnson Controls and market their deep cycles as the DC Battery and Optima s also made by Johnson Controls. Both excellent are batteries.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

go to Sears or look them up on line. DieHard Platinum is a gel and has the best warranty,
sker13

Post by sker13 »

StogieMan wrote:go to Sears or look them up on line. DieHard Platinum is a gel and has the best warranty,

I agree but mine weigh a ton it seems.
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
Bob La Londe

Post by Bob La Londe »

Best bang for your buck. Wal-Mart Max. Group 29 $75 dollars each. Keep them charged properly and plan to replace them in 18 months. Heck at the price of "good" batteries you could replace them once a year and be money ahead.

This is one area I don't mind Wal-Mart. Just about all the other batteries are made in China too.
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Forums, Links, Contests

http://www.YumaProAm.com
Yuma Pro Am - Draw Team Series
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

i have 6+ years on 3 series 31 agm's and still going strong. though their very heavy, great batteries and no need to add distilled water :D
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Hands down best battery is the Odyssey. They are more expensive though. They are a premium battery that uses NEW lead rather than recycled lead. Nearly every fire department truck in Socal uses these batteries in their fire trucks. They are the ONLY battery company that offers a full 4 year replacement warranty. As long as you have kept the battery properly charged, they will give you a new one if it should fail in the 4 years....NOT prorated. You get what you pay for...

If you want some coupons, I still have some 20% off market price coupons for your entire order.

Check them out...
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I don't know what type of motors your mechanic works on be he is full of #$%. The M27 and the M29 are made for trolling motors. I have sold them for over 15 years and have only had a hand full returned for warranty. I have used them in my own boat for that long.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

If you live in SoCal contact; Wil-Power, Bob Williamson (818/361.0173)
Wil-Power was the first Optima battery source for CA until Optima was sold to Interstate. I met Bob when looking for Trojan batteries 20 years ago when Trojan were the best marine batteries available.
Good deep cycle marine batteries are heavy due to the lead they contain, not the liquid electrolyte.
I picked up 3 each 1 year old UPS AGM's that tested to original specs, 2 group 31's for the trolling motor and 1 group 27 for cranking/electronics from Wil-Power to try out at a cost of $35 each. New AGM's (or Trojans) cost about $200 to $235 depending on size. The Trojan engineer that designed the marine deep cycle batteries now works for another local battery company and worth looking into.
Tom
PS; excellent article Leon, everyone should read it.
offduty

Post by offduty »

I just contacted Wil-Power, unfortunately they do not carry Optima's any more. I was hoping to talk to Bob but he was out. Any idea where to get the best deal on Optima's?

Rich Lund
Rich
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

offduty wrote:I just contacted Wil-Power, unfortunately they do not carry Optima's any more. I was hoping to talk to Bob but he was out. Any idea where to get the best deal on Optima's?

Rich Lund
try email; BobW@wilpowerbattery.com and leave him a message.
Optima blue top marine deep cycle batteries are available at discount stores, online wholesale and various auto parts stores like NAPA and Pepboys, etc. Prices vary greatly, go online Optima ships direct and you can return it to any of the dealers.
Tom
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

Optima blue top DM31 196.00 + Tax and 18.00 core charge
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Hey bmshepherd,
As some others replied already, you usually get what you pay for. I have been fortunate not to have had any bad experience with any battery brands out there, but I tell you what... I don't have to worry about batteries anymore after loading my boat with Optima batteries. The Blue Top (Marine) in the D31m is the way to go. Optima batteries have faster charge times allowing you to be ready for the next day of fishing, but if you can't charge them or forget, there is still plenty of power for the next day of fishing. You plug them in, charge and that's it. They provide long lasting power on the water and are a sealed/spill proof, maintenance free battery that are up to 15x more vibration resistant. They also provide up to 3x more recharges then traditional batteries.
Optima's are designed and excel in deep cycle uses and for heavy accessory loads, which translates to dependability on the water making sure not only your trolling motor is able to be utilized to the fullest when needed, but cranking your running motor and handling all of the systems and electronics that our boats have on them now days.
Optima's are more expensive than many batteries on the market, but they will take care of you for years to come and you will not have to replace them as much as the lower cost batteries, which is another time saving feature that Optima offers. Batteries are a headache replacing, why do it more often that you have to

For more information please visit http://www.optimabatteries.com
Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions...
Randy Walker ~
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

StogieMan wrote:go to Sears or look them up on line. DieHard Platinum is a gel and has the best warranty,
Actually, the Diehard Platinum is a AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery manufactured by Odyssey for Sears. Three year over the counter replacement at any Sears store. I've been running them since early '08. AGM batteries are true sealed, no maintenance batteries. They don't leak or off gas. No water to add, ever. They can be operated in any position except upside down. When you compare the batteries to others of the same 'group', the Diehard Platinums will outperform them (except when comparing Odyssey Batteries). The negative on them is they weigh more than the standard lead acid battery & are more expensive.

Diehard Platinum Group 31M, $270, 75lbs CCA - 1150, Reserve Capactiy - 205 minutes
Diehard Marine/RV Group 31M $120, 57lbs, CCA - 675, Reserve Capacity - 180 minutes
Diehard Platinum Group 34M, $210, 53lbs, CCA - 880, Reserve Capacity - 135

Our fire engines all use Odyssey brand batteries. When I raced cars, these were the batteries we ran.

Not all AGM batteries are the same. IMO, when you compare specs, construction & reputation, Odyssey are the best.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Trojan batteries for trolling motor. Always check water and keep properly charged.
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Optima, purchase online and get free shipping direct from the factory. you have to hunt around on the site or call directly but they have been the best for me. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix