When alone, How do you take pictures of your fish?

Rod Martin

When alone, How do you take pictures of your fish?

Post by Rod Martin »

You guys that fish alone, Do you take them home, have someone at ramp take a pix. , Are you set up with a timer? I dont take any photos when alone seems to be too much hassle, but would like to, Soo how is best to do it?
swimbait

Re: When alone, How do you take pictures of your fish?

Post by swimbait »

The best thing to do is to learn how to use the self timer feature on your camera and take the pictures yourself. Trying to learn how to do this with a live fish in your hand is a bad option. Much better to practice taking a few shots at home first so you can get a feel for it. It's really not hard at all with a little practice.

Some of the newer digital cameras also have screens that will rotate to face you so you can see yourself in the screen while you are taking the picture. This is extremely convenient and ensures that you are fully in the frame when the picture is taken. With this option and the abilitity to zoom in on your pics while viewing them, you can take one or two pictures, check to see that they look good and are in focus, and release the fish.

Try to avoid having any objects between you and the camera that may cause the camera to focus incorrectly. I usually set my camera on top of my tackle box or even just prop it up at an angle on a pair of scissors or pliers.

Other items you should always have with you

- reliable scale (not a cul-m-rite that only goes to 15lbs)
- tape measure
- backup camera

A little preparation on the front end will save the bass a lot of stress from being overhandled and drug all over the place.

As far as driveway pics go, DFG Freshwater Regulations section 1.63 states:

Movement of Live Fish: Except as provided in sections 4.00 through 4.30 and 230, live fin fish taken under the authority of a sport fishing license may not be transported alive from the water where taken.

So I would polietly suggest that taking your picture with a live bass in your driveway and posting it on the internet is probably not such a super hot idea.
Marc

Pretty Simple

Post by Marc »

I have a Sony digital camera, which has a timer on the shutter. I set the camera on my front pedestal, aim it to the center back of the boat, and then retrieve my bass from the livewell, press the shutter timer, and then stand between the boat consoles and smile until the camera flash goes off.

Works pretty well.

www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

As Rob and Marc mention, the timers on the new cameras are great for this. The other option is go find another angler on the lake. I've never met anyone on the water who wouldn't take a photo for me. And I always have guys come borrow my digital scale or take a photo of them. It's purty cool, ya meet a new friend, they git ta see and hear how ya caught it, they tell ya bout their day, it's all good and a win win situation for me on the water.
Mike

Dito on that!

Post by Mike »

I have asked a fellow fisherman to take a quick photo, and I have taken them for others too. It the buddy system :D

I have also called my wife to come down to the river to take a picture.
Rod Martin

Thanks for the advice,unless its

Post by Rod Martin »

a lake or world record I dont have a need to transport. but had thought about recording all over 10, I'll have to look at my camera, and check for a timer. Thanks for the response.
Rob T

The absolute easiest (and BEST) way is to...

Post by Rob T »

burn it over to Lost Isle, flag down one of the bikinied hotties at the bar, and have her hold up the fish for you - HAR!
RogerB

Fish Chris has a great solution...

Post by RogerB »

Here's a very helpful article on Fish Photography that Fish Chris has on his site:

http://www.trophybassonly.com/id53.htm

Here's to good snapping...
Please practice CPR (catch, photo, and release)
...RogerB
Ken C.

Another great accessory...

Post by Ken C. »

Is the small flex-leg tripods they market for backpackers. Usually about 6" legs that are flexible to allow positioning the camera on just about any surface. Most digitals have a timer included and I think a large number have a remote, so you don't have to count the flashes on the camera and guesstimate when it's going to take the picture. You set the camera up on the tripod and follow Marc's instructions to get a great photo!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Swimbait is right! I have a Canon PowerShot A95 (5.1). I pull out the viewfinder all the way to the left and then flip it over. When I stand in front of the camera, I see myself and the fish just perfect. I can get the perfect pose and then set the auto timer for 10 seconds. I can shoot three or four pics - put the fish in the livewell while I check them. I can repeat the process if necessary - find the best shot and release the fish. I did this on the bank at Rancho Seco this summer from the bank - actually one of the docks. I landed a 6 1/4 bass on a spook - lipped her onto the dock (carefully!!) - set the camera on a piling, shot 2 photos, and she was back in the water in less than a minute! I have had 2 or 3 photos published of me with a bass that I took my own picture with the A95. A great age to live!!
Fish Chris

Thank you Roger....

Post by Fish Chris »

you beat me to it :-) ....... you might not have, but right before I clicked on the "post" button, I went back and read my article again, and edited it a bit, to reflect my most current thoughts on the subject. I do that from time to time.

Great fishing to you guys.... and then, please show us the photos ! :-)

Peace,
Fish

http://www.trophybassonly.com/id53.htm
Fish Chris

Hey Rob T.......

Post by Fish Chris »

If I had Bikinied Hotties running down towards me..... forget the darn fish photos ! :-)

Fish
Fish Chris

Pretty well ???

Post by Fish Chris »

That photo looks GREAT ! And what a beautiful fish !

Geez I can't wait for a big Smallie this year !

But for today, I think I will just have to settle for the Striped kind, and maybe a Dino-fish :-)

See ya' !

Peace,
Fish