If It Sounds Too Good To Be True...

Wolfeman

If It Sounds Too Good To Be True...

Post by Wolfeman »

Saw an ad on craigslists for a 2000 Ranger 518 for $3000. Figured it must not have a motor or something else majorly wrong with it, but responded to the ad. Here's what I got back:

Hi,

The boat has 85 hours, 2 owners. It's in perfect condition, no engine(200 EFI MERCURY)/electric problems, liens/loans. Exterior have no big scratches. I have all the boat's manuals, title, documents. I'm selling the boat because my child of only 19 died 4 months ago in a car accident, a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was in his fiance's car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 10 years old. This 2000 RANGER COMANCHE was his and my husband's fishing boat and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it. The last price is $3,000. Me and my husband travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through eBay's Buyer Protection Program.I just need your full name, full shipping address, home/cell # so I can open a case.(with no further obligation or fees). eBay will contact you with all the Transaction/Shipping details you will need. We will take care of the shipping so don't worry.
We hope to hear from you soon.

For more pictures here is a link to the boat's photo gallery:
http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... cawhite70/

Thank you for your interest!!!
Jessica and Terry White

I told her I wanted to see the boat first, and got this response:

Hi,
Thank you, the boat is located in Los Angeles, California at DAS ( Dependable Auto Shippers ) headquarters, in the container, sealed and ready for shipping. You will have 10 days so you can inspect the boat. Once you have inspected the boat and decided to keep it, you will confirm your decision to eBay and only then they will re-route the money in to my account, but if by any reason, you won't be satisfied with the boat you can return it back for a full refund of your money. I will take care of the shipping, don't worry. You will receive the boat with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, user’s manual, insurance etc). Just get back with your full name and full shipping address and I will get everything started as soon as possible, then eBay will contact you with further instructions.

Hope to hear soon from you.

Thanks a lot!!!
Jessica and Terry White.

I'm wondering when the request to make a deposit/down payment would come. :lol:

Beware folks, they are out there, waiting to take your hard earned money.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
davet.

Re: If It Sounds Too Good To Be True...

Post by davet. »

Never give your phone # or real address.
Ask which port it's at and which container number, then tell him you have an office nearby and you'll send someone right over to inspect it.
When he recants, tell him you've spoken to the port director personally and he will open the container for you.
Then when that doesn't work, tell him, OK, and you'll get a very official looking ebay shipping page.
He'll request you send the money Western Union (seriously?)
Tell him you've sent the $300 and give him a made up transaction #. Just mess with em for awhile.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Wolf,

I guess you do not still need a VIN check?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your bud!!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Hipster wrote:Wolf,

I guess you do not still need a VIN check?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your bud!!!
That's the really funny part. The serial number is visible in one of the photos.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

NO THIS EBAY HAS NOTHING LIKE THAT EBAY IS A AUCTION BASED COMPANY THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SELLING OF ANYTHING......... NO WEAR HOUSES OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT........ HAD A GUY TELL ME ONE TIME A TRUCK I WAS LOOKING AT WAS IN THE EBAY WEARHOUSE IN THE BAY AREA........LOL.............

EBAY IS ONE ON ONE WITH THE SELLER..........
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

That same add was on Craig list and it has been removed. Too good to be true is rite. $3000 for Ranger ???
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

It's a scam!