Reels

Nevadaboy

Reels

Post by Nevadaboy »

Im new to the whole swimbait thinga and wondering what kinda reel and what size and kind of line.

Thanks for all the help!!
jcanaday495

Re: Reels

Post by jcanaday495 »

I would suggest a curado 300d or e for smaller swimbaits and either a cardiff 400 or a calcutta 400 for larger baits. I dont think you can go wrong with any of these reels.
Darth Baiter

Post by Darth Baiter »

Agreed... 8)
offduty

Post by offduty »

I would pass on the Cardiff it will eventually break. Get a Calcutta 400 or Curado 300. The Cardiff just aint heavy duty enough and will eventually fail. Watch eBay if you want a good deal on a 400.
Rich
Rich
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I agree that the Calcuttas are the way to go! Hold up through hell and back and are strong and smoothe! Haven't fished much with the 300 Curados, but they are sweet reels.

Eric
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Personally, I have gone to all Curado 300's. IMHO no need for anything else.
As for Cardiff, absoulutely not a swimbait reel. Most will get one year out of one, then begin to experience serious issues. The cast frame, sideplates, and looser tolerances just don't hold up to continual swimbait fishing. As for an occassional swimbait outing ok, but stick with a Calcutta if you prefer a round reel.

Dan
Last edited by DanIsaac on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

I dont know if i am just lucky or what but I have thrown abu 5600 and 5000(old red ones used from the hook 8 yrs ago) and havent had a problem. I dont throw braid on my swimmers maybe thats the deal. But i have caught a good amount of 6-8 lb blackies, ton of stripers and a strugeon or two on my loley cheap reels and they still perform well. I have broke them of the reel seat with braid but with mono/flouro no problems. I wish I had calcuttas but I dont have the $$ for 5 of those so i throw my abus and they work pretty darn good. Hope this helps.
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

Curado 300. I agree if you are gonna throw a Big Spro or something of that nature the Calcutta 400 is a little more hefty. I Love my curados and Shimano has great customer service.
The Hard Deck for this Hop is 10 pounds
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Don't forget about the dawia luna 300 and the older cv-z 300 millionaires, I also like the 300 d curado's for the punkers or other top water styles stuff, all can be had used for cheap, just make sure anything you buy used isn't hammered.
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

what if your on a budget and cannot afford a calcutta 400?
jcanaday495

Post by jcanaday495 »

the cardiff is a good reel for the money. very smooth right out of the box
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

jcanaday495 wrote:the cardiff is a good reel for the money. very smooth right out of the box
5:2:1 or 5:8:1 gear ratio?
jcanaday495

Post by jcanaday495 »

I only have the 400A which is a 5.2:1 I know a lot of guys use the 300A though. I will say that i have not put a ton of time swimbait fishing with this reel so as to whether it will hold up or not i cannot say i have switched to the curado for most of my swimbaits. The guys who have said they don't hold up have put in a lot more time than i have so they would probably know. The cardiff does have a very smooth feel to it though, shimano has great customer service so youc an always fix your cardiff it you run into problems. Good luck