Boycott Clear Lake

Leon Pugh

Boycott Clear Lake

Post by Leon Pugh »

I have made many fishing trips to Clear Lake every year for twenty five years now. I just read the changes of making it a misdemeanor to launch with out current Quagga sticker. This is insane taking it to this level and is extortion. I have always got the appropriate inspections even though they are just a feel good measure for someone and will not work.

To be effective, anything that enters the water would have to be inspected including migratory birds and the inspections would have to be thorough.

I can see the situation now of some one out of area that fishes there regularly forgetting to renew or the sticker comes off for some reason and they now have a criminal record for it. I will not take that chance.

I also see the a huge increase in enforcement just looking for a excuse to add $2700 to Lake counties coffer. This is criminal on Lake counties part. I will not return to Clear Lake with the exception of one more scheduled TOC in October. I will contact the circuits that I compete in and all tournament fisherman that I know to boycott Clear Lake.

Unless Lake County makes a change before the next tournement season I will not support any circuit that schedules events at Clear Lake.

This is just wrong!

Can Lake county afford to loose its tournament anglers?
Last edited by Leon Pugh on Tue May 24, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
http://www.dobynsrods.com/
flipit

Re: Boycott Clear Lake

Post by flipit »

I dont get it. You are following the rules, yet you have a complaint because they wanna punish those that dont? There is also a TOC there in Oct. we will miss you. :wink:
Fishing should be fun.
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Leon: boycotting Clear Lake and penalizing all the businesses that cater to bass fishing is hardly the way to handle this situation. There are many businesses who choose to cater to bass anglers even though they risk alienating the ski crowd.
Boycotting the lake to make a statement will not do us bass anglers any good...in my opinion.
There must be a better way to make a point without all of us suffering. Just my $.02 fwiw
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Balderdash and hogwash, the way I see it is at least Lake County is trying to fight the mussel threat however limited in recources and knowledge to address a possible invasion of the mussels . Free launches are all around the lake. Inpection fees are still affordable not extortion..
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Good I hope you all stay off clear lake so the pressure reduces and the fish have a chance to make some wild lovin without you guys dropping a 1 ounce sinker on their heads :)

Lake county could care less about bass fisherman. they have proved that point many times. I feel your pain but would it be alright to add banks, big business and government to your list as well?

I'm thunkin revolution!
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

You are missing the point, government out of control, I do not strongly object to their feeble attempt at control measures or the the inspection fees and I think they should charge for a boat launch. Butt $2700 and a criminal record, come on that is going way to far, whats next a felony and $5000 for speeding by 10MPH?

Most of you know damn well how ineffective these inspections are and how easy it is to just lie about where boat was yesterday.

Do you think they will care if it is intentional or not. Do you think they would take into consideration that the extreme rough water may have stripped the sticker off.
Innocent people will be harmed in a serious way. It only takes one injustice to totally wipe out any benefit this program might bring. At the very least they MUST drop the misdemeanor charge to a infraction.

In my belief this program as it is will do absolutely nothing to prevent the quagga's from entering that lake. About as much good as their Hydrilla controls did in keeping the weed growth out!

We as a group can get their attention and get it changed.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

We've been dealing with the Quagga stuff for awhile now in So Cal. You'll get used to it Leon. Ya, I know, it sucks!
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

We've been dealing with the Quagga stuff for awhile now in So Cal. You'll get used to it Leon. Ya, I know, it sucks!
i feel your pain Leon
the only way the state will get a handle on this, is to track everybody, and that means haveing someone take CF numbers at every lake in Calif, AZ, NV, put in in a data base evey lake can use, which face it! anit gonna happen!
so everyone trys to put there bandaid on the problem, we all see the writing on the wall and the bandaids they are putting to us will not work! but they have to try, look at it from there point of veiw
no one in this state has money! will not get money! and no plans to make the changes to effectivly fix the money issue
now introduce the Quagga problem and the costs that come with the infection, the lakes are all afraid they will get infected and have no way to pay for it! or there contract is written so they eat the cost of fixing all those plugged water pipes! hay and we all know this country is about making money! it quite caring about the little people along time ago

My two cents and thats all it is so dont go looking for something thats not there!

walt kondracki
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

jrbasspro wrote:
i feel your pain Leon
the only way the state will get a handle on this, is to track everybody, and that means haveing someone take CF numbers at every lake in Calif, AZ, NV, put in in a data base evey lake can use, which face it! anit gonna happen!
so everyone trys to put there bandaid on the problem, we all see the writing on the wall and the bandaids they are putting to us will not work! but they have to try, look at it from there point of veiw
no one in this state has money! will not get money! and no plans to make the changes to effectivly fix the money issue
now introduce the Quagga problem and the costs that come with the infection, the lakes are all afraid they will get infected and have no way to pay for it! or there contract is written so they eat the cost of fixing all those plugged water pipes! hay and we all know this country is about making money! it quite caring about the little people along time ago

My two cents and thats all it is so dont go looking for something thats not there!

walt kondracki
What he said!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DL

Post by DL »

JR, Castaic is already doing this. It took my dad and I almost 40 minutes to get to the toll booth last saturday and we were 150 feet from window...

boycotting a lake because you think the penalty for not getting inspected is too harsh is funny. Just get your free sticker and get on with your life. And if you have to lie to get the sticker, do it...according to you, Leon, its real easy and no one really checks for the mussel anyway.

The rules at Clear Lake are far less invasive than the rules we have to put up with south of Bakersfield...you should be glad all you need is a sticker.
"Feel the steel"
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Some you are still missing the point, MISDEMEANOR= criminal record
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
DL

Post by DL »

Leon Pugh wrote:Some you are still missing the point, MISDEMEANOR= criminal record
Get your sticker and you dont need to worry about a criminal record....

Are the inspections and stickers still free of charge? Leon, I dont know where you live but I can understand your frustration if you live a long distance from clear lake...but if you know you are going there take the appropriate steps and get your sticker.
"Feel the steel"
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

DL wrote: Are the inspections and stickers still free of charge?
They never were.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

It's the law; break the law and you are a criminal, intentional or not.

The 'inspection' process there is a joke, but at least it is a small measure to try to address the situation. Sure it is ineffective, but it is what they decided upon and passed a law to enforce... not sure what part of that you don't get. Most bodies of water and water agencies now have to make hard decisions on how to mitigate the invasive quagga and zebra muscles, and there are no magic bullets here. That is what they've decided, and anyone choosing to use the body of water must accept and live by the rules, or go elsewhere.

The stickers are a minimal cost.

As stated above, go down South and check out the measures taken there, then tell us how unfair and unreasonable they are. Just be glad they aren't doing real rubber-glove inspections, at least not yet.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

I hear ya Leon...I don't have a answer for ya.. the system is trying to do something good, but it is a 1/2 *** system for sure..and for the city to stick guys with fines like they are doing is just not right!!

Example would be at Pardee, they have inspections, friday, saturday and sunday. The rest of the week you just sign a piece of paper.. WTH ??? You think if a guy is dirty or maybe he does not know he is dirty.. drives all the way to Pardee to fish... He's laucnhing his boat !!

Oops.... mussels in the lake and all the time and effert is down the drain.. just makes no sense to me..

Question, these stickers, are they a yearly thing you have to buy them and do the inspect your boat everytime you launch day or night at the ramp ?? If they are not doing boat inspections... and just selling permits.. what is the reason Other to make money.. I mean heck a guy could go to Mead for 2 weeks, then drive back and launch at Clearlake, it's ok I got a sticker, right???
DL

Post by DL »

bryanmc wrote:
DL wrote: Are the inspections and stickers still free of charge?
They never were.
Mine was in 09', unless the minor fee got rolled into my tackle bill. But it wasnt enough for me to notice... got it done right there by the lake at one of the more popular tackle shops.

Filled out the paperwork and got my sticker. And its still on the boat.
"Feel the steel"
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

I'm pretty sure they were $10/yr when they started. They're $10/month now.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Leon,

I tend to agree 100% with you. It's stupid. I would venture to say that the majority of you have never had your boat "inspected" however you still pay this fee every month. Until this actually happens, what we are actually paying is a monthly launch fee. I have no issue with this because $10 per month is cheap. And here is where Leon is dead on the money correct. A misedemeanor conviction for not paying a launch fee is absurd. Essentially, its a traffic citation.

Yesterday, the first 2 trials for launching wiyhout the proper stickers were heard in court. I have yet to hear the outcome but would be willing to bet a paycheck that they are "guilty".

Until they actuallyy get out and inspect every orphus of all boats, including the internal ballasts of all wakeboarrd boats, they don't have a snowballs chance in hell about finding a quagga, let alone preventing them!!!!!!

Here's a bit more info for you. Did you know that if I am a Lake County resident and I take my boat to Mead, I dont need to have it re-inspected since I'm a county resident. Look into it!
Ray Coleman

Post by Ray Coleman »

Just an observer here, but Leon sez is true. A boycott is a was to get the governing bodies attention thru pressure applied to there constiuance. Its a painful way but effective. I would agree that those businesses that cater to the bass fisherman don't deserve it but what other way can you get your point across. Nothing in change is painless.
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

Leon I hear you, I think that a misdemeanor is a little much, but as mentioned in many of the other posts there are a lot of free boat launches around the Clear Lake area. I'd rather pay $10 a month and fish as many times as I want in the month and to go to Oroville, Berryessa, Folsom, etc. and pay a minimum of $13 each time you launch.

As long as you take 5 mins and get the inspection and pay a minimal fee then there is nothing to worry about, its our job to be responsible boaters and fishermen.
Lake

Post by Lake »

Are you serious. Everyone keeps complaining about the so called inspection and the $10. For one thing its $10 a month not every time you launch. They expect you to respect there lake and keep your boat clean and dry. We all agree we don't want the mussels in Clear Lake or any lake for that matter. What your now asking for is them to do the actual inspection. What are you thinking? Your asking for more trouble then you can imagine. What if they did full inspections like a lot of lakes. If its raining you don't launch. Talk about a waste of time and money. 20x more then the $10 for most. For me I prep and keep my boat clean and dry no matter where I was or am headed next. I believe that all this complaining could force the hand of lake county to do full on inspections. With that done I would expect to see a $15-20 inspection fee per visit and a lot of guys denied access to fish. As for the residents: I believe they feel the locals would take even more precautions to be sure they are not bringing in the mussels and that's why they pay annually. This is just my opinion and you all should be very careful what you wish for.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

DL wrote:
JR, Castaic is already doing this. It took my dad and I almost 40 minutes to get to the toll booth last saturday and we were 150 feet from window...

boycotting a lake because you think the penalty for not getting inspected is too harsh is funny. Just get your free sticker and get on with your life. And if you have to lie to get the sticker, do it...according to you, Leon, its real easy and no one really checks for the mussel anyway.

The rules at Clear Lake are far less invasive than the rules we have to put up with south of Bakersfield...you should be glad all you need is a sticker.
DL is correct...shoot I wish all it took was a sticker down here and you are good to go!

sure the misdemeanor is harsh but who cares what they do if you are following the rules! Shoot...if you were to miss a clean and dry down here in So Cal you are screwed! Casitas, you aren't clean and dry, 28 days no fishing!

I don't see a single reason to get this upset to Boycott and I highly doubt many will. Clear Lake has this mussel thing pretty easy!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

yes I now there doing that the question is what are they doing with the information? does anyone know if any other lakes are doing the same thing? and why?

better yet this might be a better post by itself!

Walt
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Lake County never has always been a poor county. Much of their economy revolves around that lake. I seriously doubt they have the money to combat an infestation. I agree they should expand the inspections to float tubes, etc., but you can't blame them for trying to protect their valuable resource.

Most of us tow our fancy boats with our fancy tow vehicles to Clear Lake and stay in a hotel. The price of an inspection is pretty small compared to the other expenses. The county has done a pretty good job of making the inspection requirement public knowledge. At this point, any of us that fail to get an inspection are either lazy or intentionally rolling the dice on saving a few bucks vs. getting caught in violation.

I hope tournament orgs don't view the original poster's opinion as the majority and continue to frequent the lake. I always enjoy the opportunity to fish one of the greatest lakes in the country.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

elfish16 wrote:
DL wrote:
. Clear Lake has this mussel thing pretty easy!
I think that is the point some are trying to make.. just selling permits/stickers at 10 bucks per month per boat and not checking boats, where they been, if they are wet, been to Mead ect ect.... what's to stop transfer just because a guy bought a permit/sticker ???? It is just a cash cow ...IMO
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Charles wrote: Here's a bit more info for you. Did you know that if I am a Lake County resident and I take my boat to Mead, I dont need to have it re-inspected since I'm a county resident. Look into it!
Actually... According to the Lake County web site, local vessels that leave Lake County are required to be re-screened upon return to Lake County from an out-of- county water body.
http://www.co.lake.ca.us/Government/Dir ... Vessel.htm
Charles

Post by Charles »

Actually... According to the Lake County web site, local vessels that leave Lake County are required to be re-screened upon return to Lake County from an out-of- county water body.
http://www.co.lake.ca.us/Government/Dir ... Prevention

You are correct and I stand corrected. My point was show me one of these rsidents that has been re-inspected!
CN

Post by CN »

It's so inconsitant it will never work the way they are going about here in California.

There is a small Lake here on the Central coast called Pinto Lake. It's a natural Lake and I dont think it's used for anything. I would not swim in it much less drink the water but it does have some nice Bass in it. Well there idea was close the lake to any boats that have the ability to hold water ie: livewells. So all Bass boats are not allowed at all on the lake now.

How did they get into San Justo As far as I can guess it was either transfered via boat or bird it is coming out of San Luis where they get the water so is the Delta infested I dont know.
Rich461

Post by Rich461 »

I know I am a dumb hick from the backwoods of Oregon so this may seem stupid to you guys.
But, when did a misdemeanor give you a criminal record? I thought only a felony could give
you a criminal record. At least that is the way it is up here. A misdemeanor, such as a speeding
ticket, is on a public record but it is not on a criminal record. Am I wrong on this?
1997 Ranger 461VS
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

I know many good country folk, some might be called hillbillies or hicks. But good ole common sense still means more than book smarts to me, I think that original post was overstated. The mussell program here does lack in many ways,... anglers note... the $1000.00 fine is steep and dosen't include the high court costs. I agree, just don't see the criminal thing a factor here.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Clear Lake Quagga News

Postby Bill Hutcheson » Thu May 19, 2011 7:14 am
I found this on another site. Clear Lake has really put the hammer down on everything going on at the lake from fishing tournaments all the way to quagga inspections. While the bass fishing segment of the boating populace has been the most proactive and compliant, I just wanted to let everyone know that if you are going to go to Clear Lake, having the proper, up to date quagga inspection sticler on your boat is paramount.

The Clear Lake DA is now prosecuting (misdemeanor and up to $2,700 fine) boaters who receive a ticket for not having a quagga inspection sticker.

See the story posted below from the Lake County News...

First invasive mussel ordinance prosecutions headed for court
Written by Elizabeth Larson
Thursday, 19 May 2011
LAKE COUNTY, Calif. – The first prosecutions of boaters who allegedly didn't have the proper mussel prevention inspection stickers on their boats before launching into Clear Lake are set to appear in Lake County Superior Court next week.

Two Sacramento boaters cited minutes apart on April 16 will be in court on Monday, May 23, where each will face charges of launching a vessel without a nonresident mussel sticker, according to Deputy District Attorney Rachel Abelson.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Richard Hinchcliff said the two cases are the first such prosecutions to take place under the Lake County Water Vessel Inspection Ordinance.

He said the District Attorney's Office has several other similar cases that it's reviewing for prosecution.

Over the last several years, county leaders have put in place several measures to protect Clear Lake and the county's other water bodies against invasive mussels, particularly the Dreissenid mussels such as the quagga and zebra.

Quagga and zebra mussels have been found in Southern California waters and other parts of the country, with their appearance resulting in destructive consequences for the surrounding communities and ecosystems.

On Jan. 25, the Lake County Board of Supervisors unanimously passed Lake County Water Vessel Inspection Ordinance 2936, which covers water vessels that launch on local water bodies.

It specifically excludes kayaks, rafts, car-top boats, canoes, wind surfboards and boogie boards, float tubes, nonmotorized paddle boats and nonmotorized sailboats 8 feet in length and less.

The ordinance, which took effect Feb. 24, requires a mandatory screening before a vessel launches on local lakes and also requires stickers to designate inspected vessels.

The inspection ordinance also increases any violation of the ordinance from an infraction to a misdemeanor, with a minimum fine of $1,000, up to six months in jail, or a combination of the fine and jail time.

On April 20, the Board of Supervisors approved amendments to the ordinance to give law enforcement additional power, including citing boat owners who are in the process of launching boats without having gone through an inspection or having a sticker. Previously, officials would have had to wait until the boat was launched into the water before acting.

That latest amendment goes into effect May 26, according to the document.

In the two cases set to appear in court on May 23, Andre Holtzclaw and Richard Martinez were cited late on the morning of April 16 – one at 11:53 a.m., one at 11:57 a.m. – by a Department of Fish and Game warden, Abelson said.

Holtzclaw, in a 2000 Harborcraft, and Martinez, in a 22-foot 1982 Beachcraft, were allegedly found with expired nonresident inspection stickers, Abelson said.

In addition, Abelson said Martinez is facing an infraction for not having a Department of Motor Vehicles identification number on his boat.

California Fish and Game Lt. Loren Freeman told Lake County News that one of the area's newest wardens, Tim Little, based in Lucerne, has patrolling Clear Lake as one of his main assignments.

Pointing out that Lake County has the state's first ever-invasive species ordinance, Freeman said Fish and Game is fully backing the program and will conduct inspections to complement it.

Likewise, the Lake County Sheriff's Office reported that it's taking a “zero tolerance” policy toward enforcing the water vessel inspection ordinance.

The Sheriff's Marine Patrol Unit is deploying additional deputies this month to have a stronger enforcement presence on Clear Lake in preparation for the summer boating season, the agency said.

Prosecutor points out concerns over ordinance

before the ordinance was changed to make violations a misdemeanor, the citations were treated as infractions, and violators were sent to traffic or infraction court, said Hinchcliff. “So they weren't coming through our office.”

Hinchcliff, who in addition to being a longtime county prosecutor is a 22-year member of the Lake County Fish and Wildlife Advisory Committee, said he thinks the effort to protect the lake through the inspection program is very important.

“If the mussels get into this lake, it will be a natural disaster,” he said, pointing out the millions of dollars in damage to tourism, private property – both land and vessels – and local water companies.

Nonetheless, Hinchcliff – based on his experience prosecuting cases and working in the local court system – said he does have some concerns about the stepped up legal aspects of the ordinance, which the District Attorney's Office wasn't asked to comment on when it was drafted.

For one, he pointed out that the minimum fine, while set at $1,000 in the ordinance, actually will be much more – approximately 170 percent more, based on court-imposed penalties and fees.

That would put the minimum fine at $2,700, Hinchcliff said

As a result, Hinchcliff speculated that many alleged violators will opt for jury trials – they're entitled to trials because of misdemeanor charging – and some may qualify for services provided by the public defender's office.

“We're going to have these cases competing with burglary cases and robbery cases and rape cases for extremely limited trial space,” he said.

In addition, anyone convicted of a misdemeanor will have a criminal record, while those with infractions don't, Hinchcliff explained.

He said he's hoping that the ordinance will have the impact in protecting the lake that county leaders intended.

“We'll see what happens,” he said.

For more information about the county's invasive mussel prevention program visit www.co.lake.ca.us/Government/Directory/ ... ention.htm .

E-mail Elizabeth Larson at elarson@lakeconews.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it . Follow Lake County News on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LakeCoNews , on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-Coun ... 604?ref=mf an
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Rich461 wrote:But, when did a misdemeanor give you a criminal record? I thought only a felony could give you a criminal record. At least that is the way it is up here. A misdemeanor, such as a speeding ticket, is on a public record but it is not on a criminal record. Am I wrong on this?
Yes, you're wrong... A traffic citation is an infraction, a misdemeanor is a crime and becomes part of the criminal history just like felony.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

leon,

I Get it alright and was trying to make cupcakes out of dogshi$. I have my own personal frustrations with lake county.

As far as the category of ticket I agree it is crazy and the cost is as well. But consider other crazy things like paying a luxury tax for that pretty boat of yours or the CHP that sits and fly's over 175 looking for folks to cross the double yellow line so they can write you a ticket.

So many things to be frustrated about! I would have to agree with some of the other posts pay the bullshi$ fees, jump through the hoops and still try to enjoy one of the best lakes in the country. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
CN

Post by CN »

A little update on this just another lake. My Dad live's there on New Pleyto Road going into the north shore of San Antonio and I just got off the phone with him. As most know they will start there version of inspections as will Nacimiento the 27th. If you know San Antonio there are two booths you go thru to pay and one lane off to the side for emegancy vehicles that's the only way into the lake.

Well he was talking to the people at the lake today,and he can talk to anyone if he wants to find out something,and there plan is to do the inspections right there when they pay to get in :idea: Can you imagine what a mess that will be Memorial weekend. That is the type of thinking that is telling us how we will do things like it or not.

But one thing I found interesting was they were open to accepting other lakes band's or tags whatever. Can someone please tell me why California cant come up with one uniform inspection process band the damn boat and it's good to launch in California. We all know they were imported on house boats brought to the big lakes out West and I will soon see what this is all about if I want to fish my local lakes but my boat is clean and dry so I will just deal with it because I will keep on fishing.
Jason Borofka

Post by Jason Borofka »

What if you had to deal with this S@#$&ITThttp://www.sccvote.org/portal/site/park ... dc4a92____ :evil:
flipit

Post by flipit »

Jason Borofka wrote:What if you had to deal with this S@#$&ITThttp://www.sccvote.org/portal/site/park ... dc4a92____ :evil:

I do deal with that and have for many years. Ive been denied twice in the past. Now just think if Clear Lake did this. I drive 3.5 hours one way on a planned 1 week visit. I get denied when I get there and now my trip is void of a boat. Dont think Id make the trip again as its to risky. Santa Clara wont allow you to re inspect for a week I believe. Im not sure why some folks make a big deal out of the Clear Lake inspection program. Personally I find it to be a minimal effort to comply with. There are other problems with stepping up inspections at Clear Lake, one being so many ramps and ways to get in and on the water. The waterways that have the tougher inspections all seem to have one place in so its easier for them to provide inspections.

So those of us who do deal with the inspections here in Santa Clara, and even more in So Cal, I believe we should all comply with the rules and not complain to much. If they do as these other places are doing then there will be reason to complain. If it rains no inspections, if its a dew morning, no inspections.
Fishing should be fun.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Of course this is getting more and more press as more lakes start their quagga inspections. I was a part of the original group of people when it all started several years ago with Lake Casitas. The inspections are not universal and the education of how/what quagga mussels are and how they spread is not universal amongst the various agencies and their staff. Then you add the California hysteria and twisting to it and you get these kinds of things. (We all know that towing trailers over 55 once they reach California borders are very dangerous and cause accidents. They are safe in Arizona, NV, Utah, Colorado, etc..just not CA.)

Here is an interesting contrast...I just got back from Lake Powell for the TBF Regional Championships. This is a body of water that is probably as large as all the lakes in California combined...well almost :). They are near the top of the water chain of the Colorado River. They have a very simple process and has been working so far for some time. They ask you where you have been...if you were in some potentially invested waters, they wash your boat. The pass is good for 14 days. There is no charge. Thats it. EVERY car that launches a boat or PWC must have a pass. If you don't have a pass in your car, they boot your car and tie cables through your doors (to catch you) and there is a $5,000 fine and up to 6 months in jail!

In Socal, the inspections vary widely and the procedures are different on nearly every lake. That is the way it is. Boycotting any one place is pointless. However, education of the people and rangers can help some depending on your demeanor. I created a bumper sticker with the help of the California Bass Federation, several other tournament organizations and stores several years ago. There are many still available from Kelly Willis, our Treasurer. When I go through an inspection station, I ask..."Do you see that bumper sticker?" and the demeanor of most inspectors changes instantly.

Understand that most of the waters in California are interested in selling water first and recreation second. I would gather that Clear Lake is a bit of an exception (because it is a natural lake), but all of our reservoirs were created for drinking water, not boating or fishing; so all the management agencies are trying to watch the cost of the water first. The administrators care about the huge potential costs of having to eradicate quagga or zebra mussels...which is VERY well documented and in to the MILLIONS of dollars.

So..be patient, comply, deal with it and try to educate. It is like a therapy session for us all...first you are pissed, then you are depressed, then you get educated and then you deal with it as a normal productive angler/boater. Read the Serenity Prayer and move on :)....
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

elevating this to a misdemeanor seems extreme to me as well, and it's $10 every time your boat comes back into Lake County after leaving. Not $10 a month. Launch on the 1st, stay to the 4th then leave Lake County for home. Come back on the 11th....another $10 as currently written. Violate that and you risk the $2700, and a criminal record. Even if your boat goes homes to its garage then directly back to Lake County.

Some of us saw this coming way back when, and you can bet it won't get any better when $$$ is involved. This program is, and has been flawed big time from the get go. That simple!

Bottomline, they're gonna get what they want until someone fights back!

I don't have all the answers, but I can definately see where your coming from Leon....

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

DanIsaac wrote:and it's $10 every time your boat comes back into Lake County after leaving. Not $10 a month. Launch on the 1st, stay to the 4th then leave Lake County for home. Come back on the 11th....another $10 as currently written.
Dan.. I looked at the regs and couldn't find where this was stated. Can you give me a link? Everything I can find just says monthly for "visitor" stickers, nothing about "per visit"
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Dan,

I get my monthly stickers from the tackle stores in Lakeport. they told me there is a 4 day grace period per month. What you are saying is that it is not a 'monthly" program?
I live over the hill in somoma county, are you saying everytime I fish Clear lake I need an inspection? RR
Andrew Jackson

Post by Andrew Jackson »

I have to agree with Leon. You have to do something proactive and somewhat hardline to get their attention. Anglers boycott, local tax paying businesses address their local government due to lack of income. . . You gotta drive the point home. Continuing to pay the fees and trying to reverese them just aint gunna happen, especially in CA. ....Imagine a Tea Party many years ago...just keep paying the taxes and we will negotiate them to stop.......

And how long does the devestation of the feared quagga/zebra mussel begin to manifest itself? How's Lake Erie doing, Mead, Havasu, Mohave...just curious because I just don't know. I'm hearing 5.5lb redear eating them....
Last edited by Andrew Jackson on Thu May 26, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buzzfish

Post by buzzfish »

TonyM wrote:... I agree they should expand the inspections to float tubes, etc., but you can't blame them for trying to protect their valuable resource.
Float tubes and kick boats don't have bilges. And we used to be inspected (I still have a sticker...) guess they decided that there wasn't much risk there.
GW

Post by GW »

its my understanding that "locals" or people who keep their boats at the lake year around can get an annual sticker, I am not sure of the cost but I bet its not $120 .

I think they make the rules as they go . Maybe Kramer will write a story about this whole mess......
CN

Post by CN »

Jason Borofka wrote:What if you had to deal with this S@#$&ITThttp://www.sccvote.org/portal/site/park ... dc4a92____ :evil:
I'll be at the ramp Saturday down at Naci I want see how it goes. Let you know what happen's.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

when I was informed that a misdemeanor was now the risk. I called the hotline with some questions.
I suspected that if they were requiring resident boats to be re-inspected after leaving the County, they most certainly would be doing the same for non-resident vessels. I was told that was correct, anytime any vessel leaves Lake County, it needs to be re-inspected and fee paid once again. I was told the yellow piece of paper you get must coincide with the dates you are on the water. It cannot be from weeks before, even within the same month.

You watch, someone will get nailed on this sooner or later.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

What most of you guys don understand is the $10.00 fee is for screening to see where and when the boats have been. If they come from a high risk area Then a certified inspector can charge $25.00 for a complete inspection. The county is on call to do a (decomtaminating) wash down for free. Most of us screeners have been pretty easy on boats that we know have not been in infested waters. The county gives us a list of high and low risk counties.All out of county boats need to be clean and dry from now on. That means you pay the $10.00 and if there is water in outdrive or bilge or livewells we can turn you down and come back and pay another $10.00 when its dry!!
All boats coming in for screening must have the plug out and guys I know you can clean your livewells better.
Anybody that goes out on the lake without the current sticker deserves a ticket and fine.Its only $10.00 dollars most of you guys pay that every time you launch somewhere else.
I agree the system has some flaws but at least the county is trying to do something.
Show up with plug out ,dry outdrive and clean livewell and you wont have problem.
The county has 12 test sites on the lake they monitor weekly looking for mussels. so far so good.
Dave
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Dave it is not about the $10.00. The only real problem I have with it is the misdemeanor charge and and a minimum of $2700. The issues I have are the following:

There is flotation equipment going on the lake that are exempt.

Residents get a one year permit, I understand they are supposed to get screened again, but some will not do it because they have the sticker. I have a big problem with that.

Let me give you an example of what can and will go wrong, this is fact.
Last year I started pre fishing for the TOC's four weeks in advance, I had your shop check my boat as required and interpreted what I was told as it was good for one month if I did not launch in other water's.
I did not get screened again an I made a total of four trips up there. Under the present program if I had been checked and questioned I would have a misdemeanor conviction and a huge fine. I did not in any way put the waters at risk, I simply misunderstood the requirements. Would the penalties been reasonable in that case. I don't think so.

Some feel that the $10 is a rip off, I do not feel that way at all, your time as well everyone else in this program, is worth a lot more than the measly $10.

Personally I think there should be a charge for launch fees up there, those fees could really help with many of issues around that lake.

I sent some letter off to county officials up there that will get no action at all unless circuits, anglers and the business around the lake do the same. If enough people complain the county officials will listen.

I am in no way against penalties for abuse, just the severity of the penalties.

The response I got from Scott De Leon was that compliance was to low. No response on all the loopholes in the program.

The penalties in place now will do nothing to reduce the risk of invasion. There are just to many loopholes.
Thank You Leon Pugh
leon.pugh@comcast.net
biteme

Post by biteme »

Im all for prevention, that said why would they have such a steep fine when no one is preventing anything?
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

The quagga can not be stopped if it is indeed transported in a single drop of water like they say.
Best thing that can be done is to provide wash down stations with chemicals that kill quagga. If you study the DFG provided guide, a very small amount of bleach mixed into a gallon of water is all it takes.
Provide a ton of education to the boaters and call it good. Prehaps have random inspections at launch sites. Stickers and fines are usless.

DFG says your DOG can transport the quagga from one lake to another.
so whats to stop the various wild animals? Birds?

We should be working on ways to kill the quagga instead of restict, close, and privatize the water!
Much like the environazi movment a great deal of this is about control, money, and eventualy closing the water to the general public.

A prime example is Casitas. How can the average person from out of the area boat that lake today?
WIth the system they have in place you would need 2 weeks to get your boat on the water. Then if the ban they put from boat to trailer is broken for another lake the whole BS prosses starts over.
If you do not live in the near by area the time, money spent, and hassle involved makes it unreasonable to go there at all. Basicly it is now a PRIVATE lake.
People that use the lake think its great! Some fish it exlusivley while others have a second boat just for the lake. Thats really the only way you can fish there anymore.

If you ask me our freedom is at risk

little at a time they take away our rights and freedom.
Should we raise hell? That may cause them to just close the lake to boating.
Should we just not complain and deal with whatever cards they throw on the table?
Are we screwed either way?
Last edited by jimmy87 on Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just shut up and fish
jimmy87

Post by jimmy87 »

in response the all the questions about the state. Why cant the state do this or that?

The truth of the matter is the lakes are run by MANY other entities. Army Corps, countys , irragation distiricts, regonial parks and others.

For instance please correct me if I am wrong but I think the state could careless about Clear lake.

Lake county is calling the shots.
The state is so broke if the were in charge they would just close the lakes like the State Parks. What a mess that is.

Also if anyone here fishes at Lake Pilsbury beware that you also need the Clear lake sticker there.
The same rules apply.
just shut up and fish