Adjusting Scroll Speed Opens up the Details

Moderators: Triton Mike, Doug Vahrenberg

Doug Vahrenberg

Adjusting Scroll Speed Opens up the Details

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Matching the Chart/Scroll Speed to the Boat Speed will keep the image returns in perspective as you would see under the water but one of the interesting tools is to adjust the Chart Speed to Open up the Details in the image like finding fish in the tree branches an increased scroll speed can open up the tree and make it easier to find fish amongst the network of tree branches. Look at these images below and watch how changing the scroll speed can be beneficial in helping find fish within the trees.

Chart Speed 3 - Matched to Boat Speed

Chart Speed 4 - Trees open up a little

Chart Speed 5 - Trees Open Even Wider and Fish are Becoming Easier to See

Chart Speed 6 - Tree Branches are open even wider and make it easier to separate the fish from the branches

This is a function and feature that Humminbird offers the user the ability to control chart/scroll speed to allow the user to gather the data they need to be successful. Understanding how it works will help you find and locate more fish. Changing Chart/Scroll Speed Faster will distort the images "real world perspective" but if you are looking for fish within structure it is a very useful tool to help you get the most out of your investment.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
obsessed fisherman

Re: Adjusting Scroll Speed Opens up the Details

Post by obsessed fisherman »

Still in the learning mode and beginning to wonder whether I should have mounted my 798c hd si on the trolling motor instead of at the council.

I notice your speed varies from a max of around 3 mph down to .6 on different posts you've made. If I'm going 4mph or higher, I would assume I missing out on some details. In your experience, where is the best mounting location and what is your experience with boat speed? Thanks in advance.
Jim
Last edited by obsessed fisherman on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Vahrenberg

I run SI at both locations. On the trolling motor I run Chart Speed at 1 and Console I match the boat Speed normally around 3mph and set chart speed to 3.

If I am looking in heavy cover like trees, brush piles, rock piles I adjust the scroll speed up a little to "Stretch" the returns to make it easier for fish to jump out from the structure - as I demonstrated in the above images.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
obsessed fisherman

Thanks for the response Doug. I fish the Delta here in No. Cal, and we have lots of weed lines. If I'm understanding correctly, by increasing chart speed, say to 3, and run the boat slower, say 1mph, the effect will be to "stretch out" these weed lines and give me more detail?
Jim
Doug Vahrenberg

It will open the distance between returns and help make it easier to look into the structure. Best thing is to play with increasing 1 or 2 notches above boat speed too fast and it will blurr the image.

obsessed fisherman

I give that a go. Excited to get back out. Thanks again.