Top Stick Ams AOY final standings

DL

Top Stick Ams AOY final standings

Post by DL »

While the pro’s were waging their AOY battle, Andrew Levy was attempting hold off Tom Fruh’s late season charge. With back to back wins, Tom Fruh made a move toward the front in his chase for Angler of The Year on the co-angler race. After sending the field out, my weighmaster and I went out to practice for the Top Stick Joe’s event which was scheduled for the following day. When we pulled into the first area, we noticed the team of Dale Jennings and current AOY leader Andrew Levy working on what appeared to be Dale’s trolling motor. It turns out that the trolling motor was receiving power, but it didn’t want to run!! This was not a good way for the day to start, especially when you are trying to close out an AOY title. The pair spent the day moving around with the big motor in between attempts to get the motor working. When I left the water at 10:00, Andy was carrying a tool box down to the boat for more repairs….the stress was apparent but he and Dale were not giving up…. Things got really interesting when the field made their way to the scales, and Tom weighed in his 7 pounder. We knew it would be a matter of how many fish Andy and his pro Dale were able to bring in..they had 8.82 lbs...would it be enough???

When it was over it was, Andy was able to hold off Tom and win the title for 2009 by 4 points…Good job Andy!

1 Andy Levy 59 60 59 59 54 291
2 Tom Fruh 54 58 55 60 60 287
3 Randy Yamanouye 0 57 54 58 57 226
4 Chris Koda 60 0 58 57 0 175
5 Brandon Blair 49 0 60 0 56 165
6 Mike Coss 51 59 52 0 0 162
7 Pete Hoffman 56 0 0 0 59 115
8 Tom Lee 57 0 56 0 0 113
9 Eddy Velasquez 0 0 57 55 0 112
10 Eduard Poghosyan 58 0 53 0 0 111
11 Stan Beebee 0 0 0 56 55 111
12 Psalm Repress 50 0 0 0 53 103
13 Dave Zimmerman 0 0 0 0 58 58
14 Terry Kratzer 55 0 0 0 0 55
15 Ken Burkhart 53 0 0 0 0 53
16 Soon Chul Lee 52 0 0 0 0 52
17 Jim Kaforski 48 0 0 0 0 48
"Feel the steel"
John Barron

Re: Top Stick Ams AOY final standings

Post by John Barron »

Great job Andy. Sorry I couldn't help out Saturday. What a push by Tom Fruh at the end. Andy did not finish out of the Top 5 all year long and Tom had 4 out of 5 events in the top 5. The other story is 3rd place Randy Yamanouye. Due to a health issue at the first of the season Randy had to miss the first event and still finished in 3rd! Good job to all of you.
jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products
drew

Post by drew »

This last Castaic tournament was the most mentally and physically challenging of all the events this year. There was no way I could have prepared for what had transpired. I already knew I was in for a tough bite, because my pre-fish day the week before was mediocre at best. The trolling motor failure had a very negative effect on my mental game because it was a new experience that I had not contemplated before. I added insult to injury by investing over an 1hr on multiple attempts trying to fix the TM. Its was a big distraction. Hind site Is 20-20 and I now realize what I could have done differently. This experience was invaluable and I will bank it for the future.

I feel fortunate that Dale and I both caught a keeper each early in the morning. This was slightly settling because we felt confident that even without TM we could get three more fish to fill out our limit. We worked as a team with Dale trying to position the boat with the big motor while I fished. It was definately not a productive way to fish. Finally in the last hour we caught three more fish.

It was a pleasure to fish with Dale, he kept a positive attitude and kept trying to the last minute. I know Dale felt responsible for the TM failing, but we all know better. Electro-mechanical equipment fail and its usually impossible to predict.

I had a great run this year with three 2nd's and 1 first place finishe. Last year was also quite stellar, a last place finish in the first tournament that I missed would have yielded a AOY title for me as well. So really two great years in row. I really enjoyed fishing with everyone who participated in the TopStick series the past two years. I can't say enough good things about the quality of these individuals.

I the past two years I have learned an invaluable amount from the professional anglers that I was paired with . I believe the TopStick series is one of, if not the best way for an amateur to learn how to competitively fish tournaments.

A big thank you to Daren Lacher for doing a great job this year, I know it was not easy and to John Barron for developing the Top Stick Tour, definately one of the best Pro-Am tournament series.
Last edited by troutnut on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

Way to go Andy! Congrats on your AOY this year. So many times I hear the statement, "it was luck of the draw", That being said of the Am drawing a "favored" Pro. Well, it is with out a dout that the same should be said by any Pro of drawing you as an AM.

Well done!

Bryan Vogt
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
drew

Post by drew »

Thanks Bryan. It is a little bit of luck of the draw. I always try my best to contribute. Sometimes it was more then others. When I look back at all my tournaments with the TopStick over the past two years I do see a trend, check out the numbers below. My goal for this year was to improve those 3rd place finishes. I guess I did it.

(08) 3rd 8th 3rd 1st 2nd(TOC), (09) 2nd 1st 2nd 2nd 7th

Bassin wrote:Way to go Andy! Congrats on your AOY this year. So many times I hear the statement, "it was luck of the draw", That being said of the Am drawing a "favored" Pro. Well, it is with out a doubt that the same should be said by any Pro of drawing you as an AM.

Well done!

Bryan Vogt