Anticipation.......................

John Barron

Anticipation.......................

Post by John Barron »

In just a short two weeks the qualifiers for the Top Stick Joes will be leaving for Santa Margarita. Like Diamond Valley being the Jewel of the South, Santa Margarita Lake is the Gem of the Central Coast. 30 mile North is my home town of Paso Robles. I still own my home there and will be moving back just as soon as I win the lotto :shock:

I spent many days fishing Margarita. Many times with great success and many times having my butt handed to me. It was the lake where I caught my very first Jig and Pig fish. It was where I caught my first fish over five pounds and my first fish over ten. Both by the way on a spinnerbait.

While Nacimiento (where I saw my first submarine race :D ) was considered my home lake for many years Margarita has always had a special place in my heart. It is a beautiful lake filled with 5 pound plus fish waiting to eat a bait that is also close to my heart, the Revenge Spinnerbait. The shore line is surrounded with Oaks and the banks are strewn with laydowns and rock piles the likes you may never have seen before. I have caught more 5 to 8 pound fish on spinnerbaits at Margarita on those rocks and in the laydowns than I have anywhere.

While you are there keep your eyes open and your camera ready for the wildlife. The Deer are all over the place and the Wild Turkey (the gobble gobble kind not the kind you drink) can be caught by throwing your bait on the bank and watch them charge it. Just before daylight you will see fox running around and like last week you must keep your eyes out for the Bears.

Typical Summer time patterns there are buzzbaits early in the morning followed by frogs and spinnerbaits. Don't be locked into those baits only though because you can catch fish on T-Rig, C-Rig, jigs, flippin and pitchin brush hogs, Senkos and creature baits. I have caught many quality fish dropshoting. So now that I have confused you with all the choices what are your strengths?

The picture is of an 8# spinnerbait fish caught in the middle of the day a couple of years ago. That same day I had a 6 pounder on a buzzbait and another 6 plus on a frog early that morning. Another note you may notice the amount of water in the lake. It as not at full pool but was close.
Still jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products