Top Shelf Swimbaits

bigjosh15

Top Shelf Swimbaits

Post by bigjosh15 »

From what I have heard these are great swimbaits. Haven't tried them out yet. Has anyone had any success with these baits??? What is the action like???
some guy

Re: Top Shelf Swimbaits

Post by some guy »

I destroyed Clear Lake on them in late July. One of the best days of my life on the water came on that bait. I had 40.76lbs on my birthday, first morning I ever fished the place. I pulled up on this point and rattled of jig fish after jig fish after jig fish.. all 3 - 5lbs.. there was so much fish in the area I told my little brother they have to eat the swimmer and proceeded to catch a 9.60, 8.73, 7.98, 7.62 and our small fish was 6.83. My little bro caught his first swimbait fish that day on the Top Shelf. The big one in clear lake hitch.. that kind of Ayu one with a blue hint to it.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
some guy

Post by some guy »

http://rickstopshelftackle.com/7inchswimbaits.aspx

I was up there for 10days and did good everyday.. nothing like that first day but had over 20lbs the next 9 days in a row on it. If i lived up there id own stock in that company. :lol:
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

some guy wrote:I destroyed Clear Lake on them in late July. One of the best days of my life on the water came on that bait. I had 40.76lbs on my birthday, first morning I ever fished the place. I pulled up on this point and rattled of jig fish after jig fish after jig fish.. all 3 - 5lbs.. there was so much fish in the area I told my little brother they have to eat the swimmer and proceeded to catch a 9.60, 8.73, 7.98, 7.62 and our small fish was 6.83. My little bro caught his first swimbait fish that day on the Top Shelf. The big one in clear lake hitch.. that kind of Ayu one with a blue hint to it.
Hey John, that is a great day as I wish I would ever get em on the swimbait like that one day..
Having said that, I hear that the Top Shelf "Top Hook" is actually the best one these days do to the ability to slow roll it because the hook it on the top of the bait..
Your thoughts?
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
some guy

Post by some guy »

I was unaware they made a top hook model. I know they make the 4", 5" and 7" in the line thru and the power minnow. I got mine on the line thru.

You might be thinking about the new Osprey Talon swimbait

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... -OTTH.html

A lot of guys up there like the Talon Top hook because it comes thru the veg better and with this years nasty algae bloom that bait has become a lot more popular. When i was there I used the line thru ones because I was fishing it on the surface and the fish were coming up at it. I wanted to make it easier for them to get a hook and just fished areas that the wind blew the algae away. I made a lot of new "friends" that week at the tackle shops out there when I showed all those guys the pictures.

I have never had a day on swimbaits close to that. There were stretches at DVL a few years ago where I spent 9 days in a row on it catching 30 - 35lbs a day. This was more of a special day, because it was my first time on Clear lake. I had the house booked for months before. It was my birthday and I was with my little brother. It was a day I will never forget and hopefully have another one close to it.
Last edited by some guy on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Yeah, that is the one I hear alot about...
Good info none the less though
some guy

Post by some guy »

I love that lake. I cant wait to get out there. It def came up on my radar as one the places to consider when I retire, thats for sure.

All the while my and my little bro are bumping Suga Free in the middle of a wide open bite. We left them eating every morning, we would fish it until about 9am and take off so we could fish it the next morning. We didnt want to blow it up. Wanted to milk it for 9 days. :lol:
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
jwick22

Post by jwick22 »

Rod Wynn wrote:
some guy wrote:I destroyed Clear Lake on them in late July. One of the best days of my life on the water came on that bait. I had 40.76lbs on my birthday, first morning I ever fished the place. I pulled up on this point and rattled of jig fish after jig fish after jig fish.. all 3 - 5lbs.. there was so much fish in the area I told my little brother they have to eat the swimmer and proceeded to catch a 9.60, 8.73, 7.98, 7.62 and our small fish was 6.83. My little bro caught his first swimbait fish that day on the Top Shelf. The big one in clear lake hitch.. that kind of Ayu one with a blue hint to it.
Hey John, that is a great day as I wish I would ever get em on the swimbait like that one day..
Having said that, I hear that the Top Shelf "Top Hook" is actually the best one these days do to the ability to slow roll it because the hook it on the top of the bait..
Your thoughts?

Hey Rod & John

I stayed with Rick from Top Shelf swimbaits at the FLW Clear Lake tournament this year. IMO, It is the best line through swimbait around. By far the best plastic, The best insert, and I think the duarability is second to none. The best thing about this bait is that it will NEVER roll. That is the issues with line throughs...This bait does not roll.

The bait is killer from Shasta, to Clear Lake all the way to DVL :lol:

Just my opinion though.

Thanks

John
Ib5g

Post by Ib5g »

+1 :D
Don't stop till it sounds expensive!!
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

jwick22 wrote:
Rod Wynn wrote:
some guy wrote:
The bait is killer from Shasta, to Clear Lake all the way to DVL :lol:
Don't forget about Havy....
Austen

Post by Austen »

N.A.R wrote:
jwick22 wrote:
Rod Wynn wrote: Don't forget about Havy....
Columbia river too. 4" is amazing on that place.
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

Yeah, we don't make a "top hook" (yet...lol).

Watch out for them this year again on the Elite Series. KVD already won Smith Mtn last year on the 4" Top Shelf in Ayu Special and he's reloaded for 2010. :lol:

A lot of Elite and FLW guys put in their orders already so we're hoping for another good year.
Melones_IS_Mine

Post by Melones_IS_Mine »

Top Shelf should make one weedless for all those long-@$$ lay-downs on the Oregon coast.....HMMMMM????!
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

jsoregon wrote:Yeah, we don't make a "top hook" (yet...lol).

Watch out for them this year again on the Elite Series. KVD already won Smith Mtn last year on the 4" Top Shelf in Ayu Special and he's reloaded for 2010. :lol:

A lot of Elite and FLW guys put in their orders already so we're hoping for another good year.
So whats the word on this "top hook"
Anymore details you can spare?
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I sell them at the hook and guys really like the way they run. On top of that they don't tear like others do.
jg

Post by jg »

If you were new to the swimbait bite what colors of the tophself would you start with for the Colorado lakes and what would you look for to throw them ?
Riley103

Post by Riley103 »

some guy wrote:http://rickstopshelftackle.com/7inchswimbaits.aspx

I was up there for 10days and did good everyday.. nothing like that first day but had over 20lbs the next 9 days in a row on it. If i lived up there id own stock in that company. :lol:
Such a very amazing link!