Lake Mead Pointers

Bassackwardz

Lake Mead Pointers

Post by Bassackwardz »

I have a tournament coming up at Lake Mead and I have zero experience there. Any help is much appreciated, lures, tactics, colors and conditions. I am going in blind and missing the pre fish due to work. I need some direction, thanks in advance!!!
B List
Huntington Beach, CA
Brian D.

Re: Lake Mead Pointers

Post by Brian D. »

tons of info out on the web. The tactics vary due to the time of year but usually drop shot, jigs, topwater, and jigs will work all season long. plastic colors... pink, MM3, Arrons magic, cinnimon purple.

Search Won bass and Kramer's site for info.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Bassackwardz

Post by Bassackwardz »

Brian,

Thanks for getting me started, do you ever throw swim baits or other larger baits to get the big bite? Things I have found so far lead me to believe that Mead has a lot of fish but not a lot of size, do you know this to be the case?

Thanks again!

Brant
B List
Huntington Beach, CA
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Due to the gin clear water the more subtle / translucent colors are most effective for me on Mead whether it's a Rico, Spook, Staycee, hand pours, various Yamomoto baits (i.e.1 oz spider jigs), etc.

In June it's important to find the shade pockets whether it's cracks in sheer walls, behind rock/ boulder piles, weedbeds, flooded bushes, deeper structure etc.

If you are swinging for the fence...I think topwater & jerkbaits will get the bigger bites and plastics will help fill your limit. 1 oz Spider type jigs can also catch the big gals in deeper water.

Note: I haven't fished Mead in years but I'm confident that things are likely still the same as back then.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

I fished mead 2 weekends ago for 3 days. Didn't throw any plastics the entire time. caught around 14+ pounds a day. My suggestion would be to put your trolling motor on high and cover water. Throw reaction the entire time. My budy also got a double hookup of smallies on a crankbait.
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

yes you can throw a big swim bait, for me it works better when the wind is up and i am moving it, just like a spinnerbait under the surface.
white colors with some clear work best for me (osprey) in this aplacation i like the hook to be on the bottom when they do hit it they crush it, i use this to try to get bigger fish (kicker), if you want numbers and biggier fish burn a single leaf willow.dont let the lake fool you the water is so clear its not even funny and you would swear there are no fish in the shallows, but throw a spook up into 2 inches of water and have a fish come out of now where to eat it
you can fish reaction pretty fast hit the side of the point the tip and other side and move on! they usually eat it pretty quick

i usally get right on the visable break line and start slinging a crank bait or rip bait and swimbait and cover water lots of water. if you start catching 2 and a half to three pounds dont be afraid to hit that area again in an hour or so

if you pre fish do not i repete do not stick your fish, they will leave that area so fast it will make your head spin throw a fluke or spook with no hooks in pre fish and just locate them a jig in shade pockets is also good to cut the hook and just lift up the rod to feel the weight

you can also slack line pop and jig in low light and and large shade pockets
to catch good quality fish recation rules on this lake for me
walt kondracki
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
dwise

Post by dwise »

For drop shot or split shot, Morning Dawn roboworms work. I've also caught them using camo power worms. Spooks work very well. If the wind kicks up, use spinnerbaits. Throwing in the shade is a key point. Usually the water is very clear.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
tmyers

Post by tmyers »

Come on Becker, I know you read this help him out... It is sad only socal guys are responding.

I hate Mead but this is what I have done the last 3 weeks for about 10lbs a day (you will need 12-15)... Flukes and senkos to the very backs and dropshot/tubes to the dark ledges. Props to he who said
Throwing in the shade is a key point.

Good Luck,
Tim Myers
www.nevadabassfederation.com
Bassackwardz

Post by Bassackwardz »

Glad I posted this here, getting a lot more help than I imagined. Thanks to all who have shared with me. If you can think of anything else I am all ears.
B List
Huntington Beach, CA
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

Put the trolling motor on high and throw reaction baits all day. Plastics get bit, but the key for me is to cover a TON of water. They will hit topwater all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Wow.. people actually talking fishing ... on a fishing web site. go figure.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
sgvangler

Post by sgvangler »

walk the dog+long casts+shade="fish on!"
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Don't forget buzzbaits also - they work magically some years, and some years not so much. Spooks, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits for reaction, wacky-rigged 5" cinnamon brown/purple Senko, drop shot (5 - 8# test) 4 1/2" curly tail or 6" oxblood light red flake Roboworms, brown/purple 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs with purple double-tail trailers are the default goto for me. Also Aaron's Magic, Margarita Mutilator and Morning Dawn Robo's, and spider jigs fished reaction style are killer.

If you find the stripers with the spook, keep banging on 'em as the largemouth will hang under the stripers and about every 4th or 5th fish will be a nice one.

Work the coves, and be sure to try clock and counter-clockwise as sometimes the pack will circle opposite of what you may expect.

Be sure to hit any dark patches you see, as it will likely be a spot offering shade and shade is a key to survival.

Long casts, lighter flourocarbon is going to serve you well - no heavy line here due to the typical ultra-clear water.

Good luck and have fun!
Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
jc351

Post by jc351 »

I was there in October and couldnt keep them off 4 and 6" Roboworms in Ehrlers Edge and Aarons pro magic. Pretty much anything green. Dropshot and shakey head!
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

Bigger Bite 5" black grape robo zipper worm Texas. Cause everyting is bigger in Texass. Throw too shore on land. Drag into water gently little shake dead stick count 30-60 slow pull a foot and shake again lightly dead stick count 30. Time for a new cast. Backs of cove and points 4-5 casts an area with all the previous related info about spots and approach. STEALTH is a big key. Think Hunting :mrgreen:
LakeMeadePreper

Post by LakeMeadePreper »

Bassackwardz wrote:I have a tournament coming up at Lake Mead and I have zero experience there. Any help is much appreciated, lures, tactics, colors and conditions. I am going in blind and missing the pre fish due to work. I need some direction, thanks in advance!!!
Lake Meade is Deep, and extremely clear water, the water temperatures are above 50 degrees all year long and typically well into the 80's during the summer...
Lake Meade is Mostly Rock and Gravel
Strippers are Huge and Aggressive
The Topography is mostly a Deep Channel and a lot of flats spawning areas that are as deep as 30 feet.
Not much Vegetation or Cover...
You know that fish tend to migrate from deep water to shallow water and back to deeper water so all you need to do is look at the topographic maps and you should be able to see the migration lanes pretty clearly...
I have caught Game Fish on a Texas Rigs Boot Lace i kid you not...
So come prepared to catch fish my friend...