Humminbird Switchfire Sonar and "Going Red"

Moderators: Doug Vahrenberg, Triton Mike

Doug Vahrenberg

Humminbird Switchfire Sonar and "Going Red"

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Humminbird Switchfire 2D Sonar give you a competitive advantage when Vertical Fishing with there Switchfire 2D Sonar. We call it "Going Red" when using the Original Color Pallet and the fish moves directly into the most intense part of the sonar cone the strength of return will show where they are. If the fish are in the outer part of the cone they we be blue or green as they move towards the center of the cone you will see more yellow and when they are eying and sniffing your bait the color turns to red. This will be different with the different color pallets but for me the Humminbird Original Color Pallet makes it easier since the Red Color Pallet really jumps out to your eyes and make it easy to see these fish "Going Red". When the color starts changing it's time to go on point and getting ready for the bite.

Here are some images from a recent outing when we got to see alot of fish "Going Red" with Humminbird Switchfire 2D Sonar.

I have Interpreted the Image above. I have a 3/8 oz Elite Tungsten Round Drop Shot Weight on the bottom and a Reaction Innovations Flirt 4.95 Worm on the hook. Remember the Right Edge is the most current data and what you need to focus on when drop shoting. But this image tells a typical story so we are going to start with the oldest history and move forward.

Follow the Weight and Worm to the far left edge...as you can see I was trying to fish the bottom edge of the school when I seen a lower fish appear (normally the big ones are under the school) so I released more line to lower the drop shot you can see the line going down...it shows up as an angle because of the screen refresh...that fish moved out of the cone but look at Point "A" that fish was in the school and when I lower the bait it got his attention and he followed the bait down...seeing this I started moving the bait back up to intercept the fish a point "B" by the strength of the return he's entering the stronger portion of the sonar cone...remember 2D sonar is cone shaped like an Orange Construction Cone and we are using 200/83 kHz sonar so He's getting into the 200kHz coverage...At Point "C" you can see the fish has locked onto the bait...he's looking at it because the strength of scale is "Going Red" he's in the most intense part of the cone directly below the transducer and where the bait is located we can't see the worm but judging the distance between the weight and the worm he's on it....it's time to go on "Point - Like a Bird Dog"...But this fish didn't like what he seen so he starts moving back up... so I start chasing him to see if he will bite...He locks back on at Point "D" and if I had a little more footage he finally got to meet me. Hope this helps to understand how to use your Humminbird for Sonar Fishing and why I prefer Original Color Pallet and the Red Color makes it easy for me to see the fish "Going Red". You can do this with other color pallets but you have to understand the strength of return. HEre you can see the different Color Pallets and

Going Red...

Going Yellow

Going Maroon

Going Flourescent

You can see the schools show up in Humminbirds other sonars

More Drop Shotin'

Sometimes these Bass try to hide but Down Imaging finds them hidden in a school of baitfish

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
Doug Vahrenberg

Re: Humminbird Switchfire Sonar and "Going Red"

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Forgot to add the original image of finding the school with Humminbird Sonar

Once you find them then you get on top of them and go to work!

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson