Flying with your rods

FR0G

Flying with your rods

Post by FR0G »

Anyone know the current policy on traveling with southwest airlines and bringing your rods? I have a rod tube that is 96" inches and I am hoping they allow me to bring it as checked baggage.
BASSAHOLICS
Mitch

Re: Flying with your rods

Post by Mitch »

Don't know about SouthWest, but I would NOT trust a rod tube on any airline. I've taken my rods to Fla , La, Tx and Mexico without problems in a 4" black plastic heavy pipe I bought at Lowes. I put drain plug ends on and taped then shut. Also wraped the rods at each end with a rag to protect them and made it easy to slide in. I also taped a piece of rope for a handle. Be sure to put a tag on each side with clear tape over it compleatly so to protect it from water. Might look a little " okie" but it works and I use GLoomis rods !! Be prepared to open on end when you check in then tape the hell.out of it.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
FATGUY

Post by FATGUY »

when i went to mexico anything over 82 " was not called excess baggage it had a special name and cost a bunch ?? thats was about a year ago ..
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

I always ship my rods via usps or fed ex with insurance a couple days before I fly. It always ends up being a lot cheaper than having them ” checked in” with the airline. A big plus is not having to travel with them. I also ship them in a pvc pipe with the ends tapped shut. I've never had an issue. Hope this helps.
FR0G

Post by FR0G »

I ended up flying with them and it worked out perfect! Max length with southwest is 91 inches. So I just cut down my tacklewarehouse cardboard rod tube and stuck a rubber cap on one end with a hose clamp. No damage what so ever. I did keep my rods in rod jackets just to be safe.
BASSAHOLICS