Stuck Trolling Motor in Freezing Conditions

Vernonn

Stuck Trolling Motor in Freezing Conditions

Post by Vernonn »

Last Sunday, we were out fishing on Oroville. At our second stop, the water from the trolling motor had seeped into the latch pin area of the Minn Kota froze. It was stuck solid. Didn't want to pull too hard and bend the rod or snap the cord. Finally, I got it loose with a screw driver and I pulled up the motor. Third stop, it happened again. This time, we poured hot coffee over the pin and melted the ice and got it loose.

I thought about spraying some WD40 to keep the ice from sticking or maybe greasing the latch pin area.

Will something like the Red One Trolling Motor cord help?

Thoughts?

-vernon
whazup

Re: Stuck Trolling Motor in Freezing Conditions

Post by whazup »

Go home...Too cold to be fishing...... :D Seriously, WD40 would probably work.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

When it's that cold I am fishing for Steelhead on the Trinity.
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

let me just say, ill be purchasing a new hot foot and throttle cable real soon :(
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Vernonn wrote:Last Sunday, we were out fishing on Oroville. At our second stop, the water from the trolling motor had seeped into the latch pin area of the Minn Kota froze. It was stuck solid. Didn't want to pull too hard and bend the rod or snap the cord. Finally, I got it loose with a screw driver and I pulled up the motor. Third stop, it happened again. This time, we poured hot coffee over the pin and melted the ice and got it loose.

I thought about spraying some WD40 to keep the ice from sticking or maybe greasing the latch pin area.

Will something like the Red One Trolling Motor cord help?

Thoughts?

-vernon
Dang,can't say I have had that happen. At the nationals on Grand Lake Oklahoma our key switches and shifters all froze,we used the coffee trick also. Not sure if my system would have helped you, but a lot of guy's on Oroville had them so mabe they will chime in and let us know. On the other hand they might want the rest of the field to have that issue.