What reel for punching?

ScottyJ

What reel for punching?

Post by ScottyJ »

I'm looking for suggestions for a good reel for punching. Obviously has to be capable of heavy drag and would like a high speed ratio. I can't afford the $400 zillion r or anything in that range, but would like something in the $200 ballpark. What do you all use?
"Jig fish are big fish"
yjjustforme

Re: What reel for punching?

Post by yjjustforme »

Your best bets are gonna be either a revo stx or a curado 201e series. I've punched a bunch of 6 to 10lb bass with great results with both reels.
Levy

Post by Levy »

I think any brand named reel over $100 would do the job. When punching I only care about a 7.1 gear ratio or above so I can get that fish quick or let me make a few more punches getting the bait in faster.

Just my opinion as I have many varities of reels with vast price differences and I trust any of them to get the job done. I have not been let down yet.

Jon Levenson
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Check out Daiwa Lexa. Great reel and pretty good price. The new 300 Lexa is a killer swimbait reel too.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Curado 50E or Chronarch 50E, unless you don't mind spending the extra $$$ Core 50. Each has the gearing which will hold up to that app. along with a small compact frame that will limit flexing when put under the load punchin' can deliver. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
godzilla

Post by godzilla »

I use a curado 201e and its a great reel for flippin/punch...its light smooth, drag is great! I can flip all day with it and the best thing about it is its green like those ur trying to catch! :wink:
***GODZILLA AFTER MILFS!!...(MOMMAS I LIKE TO FISH)....***
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

The Lexa would be a good choice another reel I would try is the new Lew's Super Duty. Lew's is coming out with some great reels at the right price.
First one in the box settles the nerves!
reeldreamer

Post by reeldreamer »

For me its a Revo SX... total workhorse of the Revo series reels. Upgraded drag and you're more than good to go.
Christian Burns
Monster Fishing
http://www.outdoorproshop.com
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I prefer using an ABU 5600 round reel with the side release lever. Big spool ta load up plenty of 100# braid, smooth casting, awesome drag and just simply one of the best freshwater wenching tools I've ever fished with! Going with the side release lever, versus any reel with a thumb bar, you eliminate the potential of blowing up yer reel on the hookset from the most violent strikes you'll ever feel from a big bass. There's no worse feeling than getting yer bait smashed and yer hand slips and hits that thumb bar on an unexpected, violent strike and hook set. Doubles as a great swimbait, wakebait and Punker reel too!
froteur

Post by froteur »

i have a curado 201e7 and a curado 51e set up for punching.
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Daiwa LEXA -100, $139, and you get a free Daiwa long sleeve shirt (Tackle Warehouse).
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Cooch wrote:I prefer using an ABU 5600 round reel with the side release lever. Big spool ta load up plenty of 100# braid, smooth casting, awesome drag and just simply one of the best freshwater wenching tools I've ever fished with! Going with the side release lever, versus any reel with a thumb bar, you eliminate the potential of blowing up yer reel on the hookset from the most violent strikes you'll ever feel from a big bass. There's no worse feeling than getting yer bait smashed and yer hand slips and hits that thumb bar on an unexpected, violent strike and hook set. Doubles as a great swimbait, wakebait and Punker reel too!
100 pound braid? You went back to using Papa Stafford's sunglasses again didn't you?

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Nick Gregg

Post by Nick Gregg »

You should check out the new Lews Superduty reel in a 7.1:1

They have a strong, smooth drag. A long handle that makes cranking giant fish along with tons of grass easy. They are coated with a rubberized anti-slip coating to help with grip when you're punching in the slime, and the spool has a little knub to tie your braid off to that completely eliminates the worry of braid slip.

Since ive tried the new Lews reels, I have changed all of my reels over to them...I am confident to say they are the best for the price, by far!
Check them out at tacklewarehouse.com and remember, if you live in CA, it can be overnighted for free!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

DanIsaac wrote:100 pound braid? You went back to using Papa Stafford's sunglasses again didn't you? Dan
Nope, just Gullible and believed the Label, "NOTHING gets away!" HAR!
Why use 65-85, when 100# test is there?
Why use 65-85, when 100# test is there?
DSCF0115.jpg (48.4 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

nothin' gets away? Wish they'd had that when I was still married!......NOT!