2013 SPO shatters last year's attendance - pays 7k to win!

AnglersPress

2013 SPO shatters last year's attendance - pays 7k to win!

Post by AnglersPress »

Valdez and Hitchcock win big and take home over $7,000!

Am division winners bring in bigger weight than Pro division!

BETHEL ISLAND Ca. - To be sure, the 2013 Snag Proof Open - presented by Gone Fishin Marine of Dixon Ca, was one of the most exciting of the twelve annual events that have been held on the California delta.

Two hundred and seven teams – or if you prefer, four hundred and fourteen anglers, converged on Russo’s Marina at Bethel Island to participate in what has become the iconic summertime event for the west’s legion of competitive anglers, all of who were eagerly waiting – with Snag Proof top water frogs in hand, to make a run at this year’s title and a lucrative cash purse that turned out to yield over $7,000 for the winners.

Perennial favorites Sean and Brian Stafford jumped out to what seemed to be an insurmountable lead on day one, bringing in a three fish limit that topped the scales right at 16 pounds. But on day two, the weather changed, bringing with it a prevailing wind that not only cooled down the temperatures, but the bite as well, making it difficult for some teams to adjust.

The most common and constant comment from anglers regarding the bite was that the “strike-to-catch” ratio was beyond ridiculous.

“We had a 100 yard bank that we simply could not leave because we were getting so many good blow ups”, stated Navionics/Humminbird pro-staffer Travis Huckaby, who saw his first day weight of over 9 pounds become of no consequence, as on the second day of competition those same repeated “blow ups” produced nothing more than mangled frogs that would “slingshot” back to his boat as soon as a big bass spit it out.

“We died a thousand deaths out there today, watching big fish roll over our frogs without getting ONE good hook in them” Travis added, clearly frustrated with the day.

But the team of Valdez and Hitchcock, had no such problems with “hook ups” as this PRO division team on the strength of the Bobby’s perfect Buzz Frog, brought a day 2 limit to the scales weighing 16.55 pounds, to take over the lead - and the win in this 12th annual event. For their efforts they received $7,100 dollars and two beautiful custom designed trophies that will surely give them a ton of “braggin rights” for years to come.

In the AM division the team of Kreighbauer and Chapman took top honors, and for the first time in the history of the event, the AM division brought in a bigger weight than the PRO division team!

Ish’s Phat Frogs coupled with Bobby’s Perfect Frogs were the key to success for this team, as their 26.58 pound 6-fish limit earned them a check for just shy of $3,000 and a ton of respect from their competition for such a commanding performance.

But even more was at stake in this weekend’s event besides the Snag Proof Open title, as the top 25 from the PRO division, and the top 15 from the AM division will automatically qualify for the first-ever Coors Light Delta Open Teams Series Championship – to be held on the California Delta in late June of 2014!

In this invitational tournament, only 100 qualifying teams will compete for the inaugural Coors Light Open Teams Series Championship trophy, and get this….the keys to a new Jeep Patriot, plus cash and prizes!

On behalf of Snag Proof Lures, Anglers Press, presenting sponsor Gone Fishin Marine of Dixon Ca, and the entire Snag Pro pro-staff – a sincere THANK YOU to all of you that supported and participated in this great event which contributed to making it a HUGE success.

We look forward to hosting it again for western anglers and hope to see you all next summer for another fun-filled top water frog event!

Ribbit…Ribbit…

Anglers Press
http://www.anglerspress.com
Last edited by AnglersPress on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Nguyen

Not true

Post by Long Nguyen »

Vince, check your history figures before laying false claim.

We drew just under 310 boats at the inaugural SPO event at Big Break marina thanks to the hard work that Alton Forthe, Tom Shockley, Mark Mendez, myself and Dan Mathison did when we created the specialty tournament concept.

The 2013 SPO attendance records was far from being shattered.

Off Topic, but If I'm not mistaken, the largest tournament participation on the CA delta is held by Bob Kornhauser/100% bass for the first Viper Boat tournament when he drew 326 boats.

Just sayin'
scott h

Re: Not true

Post by scott h »

Long Nguyen wrote:Vince, check your history figures before laying false claim.

We drew just under 310 boats at the inaugural SPO event at Big Break marina thanks to the hard work that Alton Forthe, Tom Shockley, Mark Mendez, myself and Dan Mathison did when we created the specialty tournament concept.

Off Topic, but If I'm not mistaken, the largest tournament participation on the CA delta is held by Bob Kornhauser/100% bass for the first Viper Boat tournament when he drew 326 boats.

Just sayin'
+2, I fished both of those tourneys and I was thinking the same thing, I remembered a bigger frog tourney out of the break.............. and congratulations to Angel and partner on the PRO-TEAM WIN.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
slkric

Post by slkric »

Just sayin'

Long, check your reading comprehension......says shatters LAST years attendance.!!!
fishfan

Post by fishfan »

slkric wrote:

Just sayin'[
Long, check your reading comprehension......says shatters LAST years attendance.!!!
That's because he edited it! JS
I now know why it is called fishing and not catching!
The Sweetest Rods Ever !!! DOBYNS RODS
Team LL
slkric

Post by slkric »

fishfan wrote:
slkric wrote:

Just sayin'[
That's because he edited it! JS

BS....same version that went out on email alert! Learn to read.
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

slkric wrote:BS....same version that went out on email alert! Learn to read.
Slkric, the original headline Vince wrote was incorrect. You can see that it had Edited by reviewing the very bottom of his post, the last line on the very bottom.It has since been edited to reflect a comparison to last year's numbers. That may be true. I don't know.

This may very well been the same version emailed out as you stated. I didnt get that email so I can't say oterwise. I had no issue with the rest of the reporting content and the recap was enjoyable and fun to read. Only the headline was misleading.

Catch a big bass. Peace!
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Re: 2013 SPO shatters last year's attendance - pays 7k to wi

Post by blkdog812 »

wheres the pay out break down???
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

blkdog812 wrote:wheres the pay out break down???
All right here bud:

http://www.anglerspress.com/2013-02-12- ... sults.html
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Congrats Angel. You still got it.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

Congratulations Buddy!