Delta - Driving in the dark

kraetzer

Delta - Driving in the dark

Post by kraetzer »

Thinking about launching at B&W and heading over to Russo's in the dark -> any advice besides going slow?

Thanks,
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
Terry Smith

Re: Delta - Driving in the dark

Post by Terry Smith »

When you get to the big water look for the channel marker lights and the house light that is on the corner of Old River that you turn right to go to Franks Tract. Hopefully you will have some moon light realy helps.

Good luck, Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Good question.

Are you going to make that run for the bassfest tourney? I was thinking about doing the same thing. Russo's is a forever drive for me.

Is there a lot of hazards I'm franks track. I don't fish franks very often so I'm not that familiar.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
BassADD1

Post by BassADD1 »

Did it last year and plan to again. The only problem I had was with a sailboat moored with no lights right in the middle of False River that I nearly nailed. I just cut across the north end of Franks from there. Navigated by iPhone which made it a little hairy. Have a new unit which should really help. I also went way too early last year (4:00) and plan on cutting it a little closer this year with a little more light. Looks like the tide will be about halfway incoming which should help with some of the shallow spots and hazards in Franks. I'm planning on leaving there around 5:15 or so.
Good luck!
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

Yeah heading over there for bassfest. Have GPS on my unit so that shouldn't be a problem and I think we have a full moon today so I hope we have some light. Cutting over at false river and than going straight down south throu franks to get to russos is a good idea. See you guys at B&W or russos.

Tight lines,
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Not sure if it's still there, but keep an eye out for a hazard that is between the house on the corner at false river and the tullie island across from it. I think there should be a light on it, but one morning I ran about 15 feet from it in the dark and did not see it until I was passing it and although I was not going very fast, it would have wrecked my boat and who knows about injury... It's about water and almost looked like a steel cylinder of some sort or buoy... just keep an eye out and don't go down the middle of the opening... there's plenty of room on either side.

Because I make that run often in the dark, I picked up a $10 handheld spot lite from Lowes... it works great for helping pick up potential hazards in the water...

Be safe and good luck

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

I always launch at Brennen Island state park and run to Russos in the dark. Usually, if its calm out, I'll go out on the river and turn left into False River. If its blowing like day two of the frog tournament I'll go up river and turn right into fisherman cut. Your eyes will adjust to the darkness and have your partner be your second set of eyes. There's usually other boats leaving from there so you could follow one of them. Be safe and good luck.
bircher

Post by bircher »

Randy Walker wrote:Not sure if it's still there, but keep an eye out for a hazard that is between the house on the corner at false river and the tullie island across from it. I think there should be a light on it, but one morning I ran about 15 feet from it in the dark and did not see it until I was passing it and although I was not going very fast, it would have wrecked my boat and who knows about injury... It's about water and almost looked like a steel cylinder of some sort or buoy... just keep an eye out and don't go down the middle of the opening... there's plenty of room on either side.

Because I make that run often in the dark, I picked up a $10 handheld spot lite from Lowes... it works great for helping pick up potential hazards in the water...

Be safe and good luck

Randy
This hazard is mooring buoy for the barges that come in and out of the river system. Occasionally you will see a barge hooked to it. I have it marked as a hazard on my GPS for night driving or tule fog.
supermat

Post by supermat »

That buoy currently has 4 barges hooked to it. You'll need to use caution in that corner as there isn't anywhere near as much room as normal. That said, running that area in the dark really isn't a big deal. I run it with great regularity at all times of night.
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
whazup

Post by whazup »

kraetzer wrote:Thinking about launching at B&W and heading over to Russo's in the dark -> any advice besides going slow?

Thanks,
Don't Become a Headline......
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
davet.

Post by davet. »

There's also a BIG tree right below the highway 12 bridge in the middle of the channel, out front of perry's that's pretty new.
Or, follow someone else out and when they crash....don't go that way!!
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!