Why do I share my secrets!

george

Why do I share my secrets!

Post by george »

I have had a couple guys that I fish with as well as my brothers call me and wanting to know why I share with people what I am throwing and catching fish on and why I would post it on a web site for anyone and everyone to see; well this is my thinking!

I am not going to get rich any time soon fishing tournaments or the tour or getting a TV show! lol
My thought process Is like this; if I have success with a lure or method of fishing I let people know about it so they may have success with it also, I get far more out of talking to someone about their success who I have turned on to a bait or presentation then I will ever get from cashing a check or posing for a picture.

If I talk up a product it is because I use it and it works for me and will work for anyone else! This in not always the case for some other products out there, some guys will promote the heck out of them and not have one tied on when they fish a tournament.
If I don't have success with a lure or product I will not continue to use it and I will not promote it; straight up!

I have had a lot of really successful anglers teach me over the years about many different aspects of bass fishing and have learned a lot from time on the water and just old fashioned experience, I enjoy nothing more then passing that on to others, whether it is a kid starting out, some guy on the dock or someone fishing a tournament that I am fishing.

That's why I enjoy reading post from guys like Larry Hemphill, he does not fish tournaments so he has no reason to not tell you the truth about the products he uses! He enjoys the teaching part as much as the catching.
Like the Lindner brothers from Infisherman and Anglers Edge I have seven brothers and we were raised fishing and hunting, I love to fish with my brothers and friends and want only that same enjoyment and learning experience for others getting into the sport.

I think there is a passage written some where that says; Give a man a fish and he will eat today, teach him how to fish and he will eat everyday!
I am only passing on what has been taught to me so I would not feel right keeping it all to my self!! :wink:

George
merc1997

Re: Why do I share my secrets!

Post by merc1997 »

i have found out over the many years of fishing, it is best to tell someone the honest truth about exactly what you are doing and using. funny thing about fishermen, is that they never believe you. you are exactly right about sharing. how would any of us have leaned one thing without someone sharing their knowledge with us. george, i do not about you, but i love beating my brother at anything we might be doing :lol: . so, sometimes i might not give all the info until after the fact! :D

bo
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I was reading you nice post, George, and there was my name. Weird - but nice when that happens! Thank you for the compliment! I understand the plight of a tournament fisherman - they work hard to figure out a game plan for the tourney. Actually, guides do also. The only time I have to be careful is when I am doing a prep trip from someone who is fishing an upcoming tournament. I guess that wouldn't be cool if I gave all the details of our trip on WB.com for all competitors to read!! For those posts I just mention lake conditions, weather, and maybe general comments on the mood of the bass - nothing more.
bass king

Post by bass king »

" The only time I have to be careful is when I am doing a prep trip from someone who is fishing an upcoming tournament."

:oops: :cry:

Kinda sucks the fun outa the "figuring out the fish" part, when an experienced guide on a particular lake puts on you fish, and you hope to duplicate that pattern to take everyone else's money. :roll:
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

You don't think Roland Martin used guides ???
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

To contribute online at all is a pay it forward moment that anglers share with the masses here at there own risk. A wise and straight forward commentary on any trip by Larry shared online is worthy of attention based on his attention to details and history.The reports what's and why's included /or not do not require excuse's by any angler sharing on this site.I by nature love to hear someone else caught a fish on something that I got them toying with. To the person trying it out, The shock and wonderment of the whole experience is what we were trying to achieve maybe in the first place. Good thread
LET'S GO BRANDON
knight

Post by knight »

Guys like me look up to the guys who get it done, like you here. Believe me, I take what you guys say and run with it. I caught my first 5lbr after learning here about the drop shot/senko. That is my go to bait. Works deep, shallow, fly line, wacky, texas....
The reports are like an almanac. I look back and see what they were using back in '05', 07' 09'..what times of day, month, season. It's cool to post. Heck, I tried to be like my teacher Kelly and write bits and pieces here and there...like I knew something. But you're right.The excitement of catching a bass with tools learned here on WB is just fun!
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Guys it is about growing the sport. Many of the beginners look to all of the experience on these forums with respect. I have benefited over the years from many veterans some of which are no longer with us. There were times when I was taking a newly or a kid to a lake I had never fished and someone would step up and give me a few tips to work with. It made the experience for the kids and others a positive event.

There have been the discussions of equipment, lures, gear or tactics that have made me look deeper at the way I was doing things.

I try and pay back whenever possible because of the many benefits I have gotten from the people here on the forum.

I understand protecting your tournament pre fish info. But as Larry said after the tournament there are ways to share without giving away the store.

To those who have given, my hat is off to you and thank you.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Many people have success, but the choice to share your knowledge is what sets you apart.
My thanks to all of you.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
knight

Post by knight »

Now tell me, in great detail...when and where to use that Alabama rig at Casitas..... :lol:
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Sure Ralph...wait for the wind to blow and then the last 2 hours of the day you huck the a rig across points. :lol:
LET'S GO BRANDON
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Kelly Ripa wrote:Sure Ralph...wait for the wind to blow and then the last 2 hours of the day you huck the a rig across points. :lol:
Waiting for the wind and the last two hours of the day is probably the best piece of advice for almost any lake if you plan on fishing reaction baits. I catch huge bags at DVL doing this with no one around. Unfortunately, the lake closes too damn early and tournaments weigh in too early to get the full effect from this plan. :evil: