Is Lake Piru infected with the quagga?

Bass Pro Shopper

Is Lake Piru infected with the quagga?

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

A guy at the Castaic gate told me it happened about a week ago. Anyone else hear about it? Any truth?
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
npangler

Re: Is Lake Piru infected with the quagga?

Post by npangler »

True,there tag is no longer good at castaic or pyramid.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

I received a call from the county yesterday all boats coming from Piru have to be inspected now
Dave
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

from Lake co.

Sorry to say we need to add Los Angeles County to the list of infested counties in California . In a previous email I added Ventura County to the list of infested counties. Lake Piru (in Ventura County ), which is probably infested, had a reciprocal banding agreement, that was stopped on Friday, with Castaic Lake and Pyramid Lake in Los Angeles County . These lakes are just 10 – 15 miles apart. Boaters regularly visit all three lakes. In addition, Los Angeles County is geographically between Ventura County and San Bernardino County . For these reasons Lake County is placing Los Angeles County on the list of infested counties in California , please see attached.

Thank you for your diligence and hard work in keeping Lake County mussel free.

Happy holidays.

Carolyn E. Ruttan
Invasive Species Program Coordinator
Lake County Water Resources
255 N. Forbes Street , Room 309
Lakeport , CA 95453
707-263-2344
707-295-0333 (cell)
Bass Pro Shopper

Wow... unfortunate, but seems it was only a matter of time, I guess....for all lakes. Wonder if Pyramid and/or Castaic will get infected too...or already are and it's not known just yet. Major problem for Southern Cal's water system and lakes the aqueduct feeds if that happens. On the bright side, I would think inspections are no longer necessary at Piru.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

VC Star also confirmed it. Should play interesting in the future of fishing in the vacinity!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
bass king

Post by bass king »

Shitty.

There was a really good bass lake not too far from where I'm at called San Justo, near Hollister,CA. Used to be really good for giant bass, but after they found the quagga, they drained it. That was at least 4-5 years ago. Supposedly, it's supposed to be re-filled sometime in the next few years, but could take a long time for the fish to get anywhere near what they once were.

Hope for the best!
bmshepherd

Post by bmshepherd »

Quaggas and no water!!!! Our poor California lakes are getting hammered. It's really sad.
dobynsrods.com
propointlures.com
mike austin

Post by mike austin »

Piru is one of my favorite lakes, it's a shame the water level is so low. I bet if Castaic or Pyramid let their water levels drop that low we would see the mussels there too!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

From what I have been told, a mussel was found on the lifeguard boat's hull when it was hauled out for cleaning. So water level had nothing to do with finding the mussel.
The mussel has been sent to the DFW labs for DNA testing, to verify it's species.
Once that testing is finished, I'm sure we'll hear the official verdict, and plan of action.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bass Pro Shopper

mark poulson wrote:From what I have been told, a mussel was found on the lifeguard boat's hull when it was hauled out for cleaning.
So after all they've put us through with inspections (at all lakes), it turns out to be the lifeguard's boat?! Figures! Ha! Just kidding... I know it could have been anyone, but it seems pretty ironic that the lifeguard boat could be patient zero.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

just means the lifeguard boat hasn't moved in a LONG time and its been brought in for a while. The Piru inspections were pretty sad if you ask me.

Casitas just automatically went to 28 quaratine for ALL boats that leave. 10 day is gone.
Eric Elshere

Bass Pro Shopper

Wow! 28 days?! That's crazy. They've pretty much shut down the lake for most everyone with that rule then. Wasn't worth the trip out there for me just with the 10 day quarantine. Last time I fished that lake was just a week or so before they imposed all the restrictions. Went knowing it could be the last time I'd fish that lake in a very long time if at all. Like I said, not worth burning the gas (from where I live) to go get inspected, and then more gas to return to fish. Very much a locals-only lake especially now. Wonder if all lakes will stiffen the rules now. And yes, the Piru inspections were pretty lax.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

we will see if the other lakes will follow suit and tighten down a bit on their inspections. I have a feeling a lot of guys didnt get inspected in time for the Casitas circuits starting in a week or so.
Eric Elshere

Joey805

Post by Joey805 »

Just read that they have locked Lake Cachuma down because Piru is infected. If your boat is registered in LA or Ventura County, you cannot launch at Cachuma without going through their 14 day quarantine process first, meaning no same day launching unless you have their tag on your boat.

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/foru ... p?t=148858
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

it was only a matter of time! sadly..I'd not be shocked if all the lakes around here follow suit
Eric Elshere

Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

I just read the article, not good for us bass fisherman! Looks like the LA tagging system just got more complicated. I'm sure quarantine is in our near future so I'm going fishing tomorrow while I still can!

http://www.dailynews.com/environment-an ... ura-county

Big Ed!
What you say is meaningless.........What you do is everything!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

IE, SD, and OC have been on the quarantine ban for over three years at Cachuma
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

All that is known as of today is that an invasive mussel was found. DNA testing results are not in. How a lake monitors for quagga mussels is often done by pulling a plankton net and checking for the free swimming larval stages- this may not find the mussels until they have reached a certain level of population. I'd say it's a sad day for tournaments at Piru, unless a boat is only ever used there.
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

If you'd like to find quaaga mussels in any of these lakes simply take 4 tires stacked on top of each other tied up and drop into lake by launch ramp in 20 feet of water with a marker buoy , let them ferment for 2-4 weeks remove and inspect. I'll bet there even in Casitas. Has any agency done this, must be too expensive of an experiment. 1000's of boats came directly from mead and havasu for years and launched in all our lakes before we had any inspection program. Nature already had it's way! Still should be inspections to slow down infestation but thats about all we can do. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

fishinman wrote:If you'd like to find quaaga mussels in any of these lakes simply take 4 tires stacked on top of each other tied up and drop into lake by launch ramp in 20 feet of water with a marker buoy , let them ferment for 2-4 weeks remove and inspect. I'll bet there even in Casitas. Has any agency done this, must be too expensive of an experiment. 1000's of boats came directly from mead and havasu for years and launched in all our lakes before we had any inspection program. Nature already had it's way! Still should be inspections to slow down infestation but thats about all we can do. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
well with all the sticks in Casitas high and dry and now all the dock anchors showing up I can tell you that there hasn't been any mussels on them. In lakes with mussels stick to everything. I'd say with all the dock anchors empty from the marina area now days, where all the boats are stored and launched.... I'd say Casitas is probably clear for now.
Eric Elshere

Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Son launched at Piru on the 28th after inspection. Very disappointed no wire put on at exit. I launched at Sugarloaf on Shasta yesterday, no signs, warnings, nothing. There are warnings at Baily Cove, but it is dry. I find it hard to believe all lakes are not infected with all the SoCal boats visiting in the summer.

Protecting individual lakes is futile, we need a coordinated effort for all our waters.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Jboutfishn wrote: Protecting individual lakes is futile, we need a coordinated effort for all our waters.
Exactly!
CLEAN AND DRY
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

The State has been asked to add scannable bar codes to boats' registration stickers so Lakes could scan them and see a record of where the boat has been(every lake entry would be scanned and placed on a computer linked to the State). The declined for a few reasons- mainly too many people would complain it invades their privacy, as the State would be "tracking" your movements. As far as I care, they can place a GPS transponder in my head and follow me on twitter...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Dave Wilson wrote:The State has been asked to add scannable bar codes to boats' registration stickers so Lakes could scan them and see a record of where the boat has been(every lake entry would be scanned and placed on a computer linked to the State). The declined for a few reasons- mainly too many people would complain it invades their privacy, as the State would be "tracking" your movements. As far as I care, they can place a GPS transponder in my head and follow me on twitter...
There are a few other reasons besides the tracking part... the main one is, most lakes do not have facilities to use any scanning tech due to being remote with no internet or cell reception to transmit/receive. And where is this database now?
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The cynical side of me says the State declined because they don't want to take financial responsibility, and blame, when a lake gets infected that has the scanning system in place. That way, they won't be on the hook for any costs for remediation.
But that's just me thinking a bunch of lawmaking lawyers are just covering their butts, even if it means we all pay more for water in the end. They don't care, or, at least, they aren't willing to stake their elected futures on the fate of our water supplies.
Whatever happened to real leaders?
CLEAN AND DRY