3/4 ton diesel? Ford, Chevy,Dodge?

BILLYS

3/4 ton diesel? Ford, Chevy,Dodge?

Post by BILLYS »

My little girl will be headed off to college soon. She will be towing a 3 to 4 horse goose neck trailer. We need to help her get into a 3/4 diesel. I guess my question is, what to stay away from? I know all makes have some bad years. We are not looking at new ones. How long do they last?How many miles do they last? What would you recommend? Thanks for looking.
TEAM FATBOY.
Fred Fullerton

Re: 3/4 ton diesel? Ford, Chevy,Dodge?

Post by Fred Fullerton »

If you are in the woodland area go by woodland motors they can help with a Chev or GMC both are very nice rigs. I have a 2003 Silverado It has been a great truck I pull a 32 foot 5th wheel all over the country Pulls great.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

I have a 2007 Dodge 3/4ton diesel megacab. This was the first manufacture year they went from the 5.9 liter to the 6.7 liter turbo Cummins motor so I did have a few check engine lights come on because of the EGR. The newer diesel trucks have so many dam emissions & sound restricting crap on them, they can sometimes be a pain in the ***. I have since got the gremlins worked out and love the truck. My Dodge is a towing machine. I pull my 21ft Ranger behind it & half the time I forget it is back there. I also pull my 28ft 5th wheel trailer behind it all over hell & back and the truck has power to spare. I am telling you this truck will pull a tree out of the ground if you wanted to. The best thing about this truck is the exhaust braking system. It works just like a jake brake on a big rig & is nothing short of awesome when you are towing. I have the original brake pads that came on the truck & the are still like 70%. Supposedly these trucks will get 400 to 500k miles out of them if you take good care of them.
Good luck, Troy Bellah <*)))--<
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

I have a Chevy Duramax, pulls a 3 Horse Gooseneck like its not there..
Been a perfect truck with no issiues... 18-20 mpg
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Brent B

Post by Brent B »

I have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3L diesel. Best truck and engine I ever owned. I have 265K on her now, and has no signs of quitting. I am a Ford guy, but I would stay away from their 6.0L diesel. Wasn't their best. The worked out a lot I guess later, but the early ones were always having issues. I think they started in 03, but I'm not certain. I will not bash any of the other trucks...they all make a good motor. You should get at least 300k to 400k miles out of any of the brands (diesel) (if you take care of them). Good luck
flipit

Post by flipit »

Brent B wrote:I have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3L diesel. Best truck and engine I ever owned. I have 265K on her now, and has no signs of quitting. I am a Ford guy, but I would stay away from their 6.0L diesel. Wasn't their best. The worked out a lot I guess later, but the early ones were always having issues. I think they started in 03, but I'm not certain. I will not bash any of the other trucks...they all make a good motor. You should get at least 300k to 400k miles out of any of the brands (diesel) (if you take care of them). Good luck

I know Jimmy Reese just posted a picture of his with 500k on it and going strong. I just bought a 2013 on New Years Eve. As mentioned all of them will go a long time when taken care of.
Fishing should be fun.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

I have a 2002 Duramax. 13/14 mpg pulling 10K, 20 mpg empty. 2000 through 2004 have injector issues that cost $4k to replace. Replaced 1st set at 80k, second set replaced at 130K. The upside is "0" problems with everything else. The interior still looks new, all switches, locks, electronics, air, work as new. The tires still show no abnormal wear showing a good front end. Still has original brakes. A very quality piece of equipment. Down side injectors. The injector issues solved in 2005/later.

My friend has a 2002 Dodge Cummins. 400K miles on engine. Truck used hard. Replaced clutch, front alignment issues. Interior is looking ragged with cracked dash. My Son had a 2001 gasser with same interior and front end issues, Believe solved in 2005.

As others have said, the 6.0 Ford is a problem, the 7.3 is a good one.

On transmission, most Dodges have 5 or 6 speed manual, Duramax's mostly have Allison transmissions. Both are bullet proof. Not sure of Ford trannys.

Just my observations and opinions, good luck with your purchase.
Scott Burke

Post by Scott Burke »

I would add, Do not buy a Ford that has a 6.0 diesel. The 7.3's were great and the new ones are the bomb. However I had issue after issue with my 04 Ford with a 6.0 since your looking at used I felt like I should share that. :D
BILLYS

Post by BILLYS »

Thanks guys. Keep them coming. Left this morning at about 6:00 and just now got home from one of her barrel races. Looked at trucks and talked to a lot of people. I was surprised to find so many 5.9 dodges there. little girl drove her friends 08 ford super duty. No idea as what engine it had in it, but puled 4 horses home fine. The only complaint on a dodge I heard was from a 2011 that had a light come on.
PS, Little girl ended up 5th in 1D... 5th place out of I think 140 riders.
Looks like we are looking for an 06 to 07 1/2 with the 5.9 auto. Could be looking for 08-09 with the newer engine. IDK.
TEAM FATBOY.
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

I have an 01 f250 with a 7.3 and love it. It has 186k and runs great. All components are stock, has over sized tires and a programmer. The 7.3 is great, they made it to early 03. 03 to 07 had the 6.0 and they are garbage. 08 to I believe 11 were 6.4 and those are awesome too. The 5.9 from dodge is also an awesome engine. My only complaints on the dodges is that the interior seems to fall apart early........seats, headliner, dash, etc. my father in law has an 02 duramax that is a workhorse and don't think there is a better riding truck 3/4 or 1 ton out there than chevy or gmc and it gets 20mpg empty. Hope this helps.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I own a 2006 Ford F250 with the 6.0 and I have personally experienced the issues the guys on this thread are warning you about. I like the truck and I've been able to work through the problems but I'd never do it again.
Colebass

Find on 06/07 Dodge 5.9

Post by Colebass »

If you get a 5.9 cummins in a Dodge you can always find someone to work on it. But you likely won't need it! I have a 2006 with 150,000 and besides oil changes and regular stuff no issue. I've seen a few at Carmax with low miles, check them out.

Good luck.
Dave Cole
egbasshooker

Post by egbasshooker »

Ford all the way 7.3 the old faithful i have a tuned 08 which is the 6.4 international engine with 140k and no problems at all if i drive nice almost 20mpg!!
http://www.rbbassfishing.net
Dobyns Rods <--___.
egbasshooker

Post by egbasshooker »

08 6.4!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 12717 times
http://www.rbbassfishing.net
Dobyns Rods <--___.