Ranger VS Triton what do you like or dislike

norcalracer

Ranger VS Triton what do you like or dislike

Post by norcalracer »

Im looking at buying a used boat in the 2001-2006 era around 20-25 thounsand dollars.im looking at both triton and ranger 20 foot plus on both. Seems price is same on the two.Whats your opinion and or experience with the two any info would be helpful good or bad. im new to bass fishing! thanks
scott39

Re: Ranger VS Triton what do you like or dislike

Post by scott39 »

I love my 2001 tr20. Great ride and its fast! My research told me to stay away from Johnson/Evinrude. My only regret is that I couldn't find one with a 4 stroke. Have fun shopping!
Dobyns Rods
Fred Fullerton

Post by Fred Fullerton »

Give Kent Brown a call he can hook you up with all the info you need
GW

Post by GW »

Ranger: Won't sink

All Others: sink like a rock
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

GW wrote:Ranger: Won't sink

All Others: sink like a rock
Apparently you have not seen the Skeeter video with 4 people standing on the deck of one of their boats that has huge holes cut in the sides. Search YouTube under "Engineered like no others - Skeeter" and you'll see it.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Triton isn't even in the same league as a Ranger! Trying to compare a Volkswagon to a Cadillac.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Fish Trap

Post by Fish Trap »

I have been in a few boats and own a 2000 Ranger 520DVX. All of the boats are pretty good these days but each has its advantages and disadvantages. Most of the boats I know about have been Rangers although I have ridden in Triton, bass cat, and spent a few days in a Skeeter boats as well. The Skeeters and Bass cats seemed to be a lot faster than the ranger but slapped more on the water as they are a lighter hull. They are all pretty solid boats. I think for the years that you are talking about the 520 would be the best hands down in the Ranger world, not sure about the make and models for others. It is a great riding boat as I use mine in the delta for stripers and have been in some real nasty stuff without any problems. The Z20 is a wet boat. And the smaller rangers will not handle the bigger water as well (delta, Clear lake, Berry).My 520 is not super fast but will do 64 or so fully loaded and I have an old 2000 motor with 560 hours on it so I don't wind it out. I had it over 70 when I first bought it with one person, half tank of gas, and perfectly tuned prop, but do not run it that wide open anymore. The compartment set up and storage space is bar none the best out of any boat I have ridden in. If I had to trade up I would look for a clean 2004 or so 520.

Make sure you take any boat you buy to a good mechanic. Have a leak down test, compression test done on the motor. Have the batteries checked. Trolling motor. Look at the owners Maintenance records. Have the computer print out looked at for alarms and rpm speeds. Have the trailer checked, bearings, tires, etc. The cost may be a few hundred to have it looked at but it is money well spent.
Good luck.
kb

Post by kb »

Well I am fairly confident that I have more time in both a Ranger and Triton than Harry does so I will not make that kind of response.... :D As the Triton Rep here in the West I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have on a used Triton that you are looking at. It would be best to have either boat looked at by a trusted dealer, motor checked out, trailer etc on either or both brands before you buy and you should get on the water in each to see what fits you best. You won't have a complaint on the performance, ride or fishability of the Triton, would qualify for our owners tournament and maybe even Triton Gold.....all things to look at!

Hey Harry come take a ride in the fastest VW you have ever been in!!!! :shock:

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I have only been in a Ranger (back seater) not a Triton or Skeeter .
Since I am in the tech field here in Silicon Valley , I have a question .
Why are the hulls different in weight ? My guess . More fiberglass , which probably equals a stronger longer lasting hull , certainly an important question if your buying a used boat.
I find it kind of funny how the boat companies sell Speed and hole shot as a big deal , personally , I would want a boat that is #1 safe, #2 reliable (boat hull , trailer , warranty etc..) and easy to fish out of .
I think the boat companies would be way better off selling reliability vs. speed.
Remember when one of the boat companies back in the 70's 80's were touting Kevlar hulls as indestructible ?
Robb
kb

Post by kb »

Robb you are correct in that the weights of the boats from the different manufacturers do vary but that isn't just additional fiberglass. The weights of the same model boats built by the same company also vary from boat to boat. You may have a difference in deck lid material , consoles etc that will show a different overall weight. I remember guys telling me that gel coat colored boats were faster because they didn't have the weight of the metal flake!!!! :roll:

Although the Ranger and Triton are built in the same facility there are different processes in the production of each brand that keep their DNA with in the brand. I know the Triton's are weighed throughout the process and the difference in weight of our flagship 21 foot boats and Ranger's is about 75 pounds.

Our hull is known to be a bit faster and each boat varies by motor, prop and driver with some of the models you will have to drive the boat more than others model to model and brand to brand all vary ... Both the Ranger and Triton are built very solid and have warranties that compare in protecting the buyer and the product. Our hull shot as well as Ranger is really not even a factor in todays boats both boats have incredible hole shot with transoms designed to help improve on plane time, fuel tank positioning and jack plate options all play a factor in hole shot and overall performance.

So top speed is just one of the things that boat companies use as a sales tool and to many of the buyers it is very important to others not so much.

I would think that any of the late model boats are pretty easy to fish out of. Hope this answers some of the why's you had and now that you are fishing as a backseater hopefully we will get the chance to fish together and you can see some of the other options out there as well....

Kent Brown
Triton Boats
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Ape, you didn't really give him a reason. Or answer his question. What do you dislike aout triton? What do you like about ranger? Or vise versa. People get on this forum for help. Have you owned a triton? Have you owned a ranger? Tell him your experience. Like he said. He is new to bass fishing
Dobyns Rods
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Ya you're right. I have only owned Rangers and a bit partial to them. I have fished off of and driven many other boats, including Triton. Every time I do the human nature thing and evaluate and compare them to my Ranger. I always preferred my Ranger. As for speed KB.....Not the most important thing (not even in the top 5) I look for in a boat, but that being said......I have my 2013 Ranger Z521 with a 250 Merc. on video hitting 75 mph. Not sure I want or need to go any faster. Can't ever remember a Triton passing me either. Anyway, The other great thing I've found over the years is the great customer service I received by both C & C Marine and Ranger Boats. That is very important to me. Lastly, I guess this is the same old argument as in Ford v. Chevy or "Taste Great" "Less Filling". I suggest you find a boat that appeals to you that has everything you want and test drive it.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
kb

Post by kb »

Harry I understand we work as hard to promote the Triton brand as the Ranger guys do and when someone jumps online and plays the Cadillac vs VW it puts us on defense in a big hurry. I tried to answer his questions without running any brand down.....I am glad you like your brand and your dealer for you it will make your next purchase a no brainer.....for the rest we will try to help them make the right decision when they are looking for a boat...... Heck I even remember helping you when you were having coil issues and answered some of your questions and if I remember correct tried to talk you down off the cliff when you had hub issues on your trailer.........

kb

Oh and speed is in my top 5 :wink: :wink: :wink:
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

KB ,
Thank you for the reply . I am sure both brands are of high quality and deserve attention from all perspective boat buyers. For me , I am not a tournament angler and when I could afford/justify buying my first ever boat , I purchased a Tracker . I have had it for 12 years and for the most part it fits my bass fishing needs .
If I would do it over again , maybe I go with something different .
My main complaint with boat dealers and manufacturers is just what I mentioned ---lack of real technical details on what makes a "better" boat . Not a faster boat , a "better " boat , one that last's longer , better reliability (from the trailer , thru to hull , to the trolling motor ) . Something a boat buyer can count on , not just somebody's word. Features are easy to compare , real quality isn't.
Lastly , boat service ----?? I bought my boat at the now out of business Cope and McPheters . What a joke , they couldn't spell service let alone fix anything .
If I bought another bass boat , I would spend more time with the guys who actually do the service to determine if they could help me downstream because we all know , boat problems come with owning them .
Good luck with your Triton ,
I am sure it fishes nice ,
Tight lines ,
Robb
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

The only people who can accurately answer your question are people who have owned both a Triton and a Ranger. Not many of those folks around.

I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is what kind of boat do you need?
And you answer that by making a list of what's important to you.
My first boat was a used Ranger 488vs 1995 model. A very nice boat that looked great and fished great.
It was not the fastest boat, but I didn't care. I wasn't a tournament angler so I didn't need to get from Point A to Point B quickly. The boat was great on the Delta, but when the big rollers kicked up on Clearlake I was challenged (mostly due to me being a rookie). Took me a long time to get back to Konocti Vista from down south. One of the things I hated about that boat was the short rod locker. I could only put a 6'8" or shorter rod in the locker.
My next boat was another Ranger, R80 Sport. It's an 18 footer. Will do 62 with two fat guys and all their equipment. That's as fast as I need to go. It of course is less stable in big swells, but I've learned to just slow down and get through them. But this boat has long rod lockers and they hold all of my rods except the 8 foot punch rod. And it fits in my driveway. I love this boat. And it's a pretty thing. These are the important things I want in a boat.

If i had the money you are talking about I'd buy a Ranger 520 with dual console. Fast enough. Great storage. Solid ride. And holds it's value (which is only important if you think this is not your last boat)

But Kent's Triton has all of that and is faster.

Figure out what you want in a boat (make that list). And then do your homework.
Good luck. Boat shopping is a blast. Have fun.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
kb

Post by kb »

you are right on with that Wolfeman and I am one of the few guys that have owned both and a bunch of both actually. I had about 15 Rangers and now about a 13 Triton's but in all fairness my Ranger days were over and my last 6 boats were 518VS models....I never got to run a 520, Z520 or Z521 and my Triton days started with the first year the X series came out so I never ran the narrower TR models. I have ran the 20XHP, 20X2, 20X3,20XS, 21HP and now the TRX21. I had things I loved about all the boats I have had but the advancements in boats in the past 10-15 years is huge...

I had all the 300 series Rangers, 487,488, 518VS and 518 and 519 and never ran a Ranger with bigger than a 200HP motor...All my Triton's have had 225 or 250's....we aren't comparing apples to apples here.

But the funny thing is a guy rides in his buddies tr20/518 once and makes the comparisons to his new model boat or say's yea I rode in a Triton/Ranger/Skeeter and didn't like it.....I have had the same guys say they rode with another guy and he couldn't make the boat ride as well or did a better job! It' s kinda like saying yea I drove a GMC truck but I didnt' like the gas smell in the cab and I hated that foot pedal start!!!! yea it was 1956 truck the new ones are different.

There are so many good used boats out there every year and the good thing about buying the used ones is you can get them on the water and run them.....buying new you don't always have that chance unless you get with a pro staffer or the dealer has a water demo boat.

Now back to the original poster and his question if you pm me or drop me a message and tell me what model and year Triton you are looking at or for I will try to help you with both the good and bad. Believe me they all have good and bad and I have a list of friends that have boat sponsors and they spend quite a bit of time telling the factories what is wrong and right with their boat....it is their job. The boat company doesn't want to hear that there is nothing wrong with your boat, it can't be improved and everyone else's boat is so inferior....they know that isn't the truth. We get asked all the time what do you see in the other boats that is cool or practical or we need .......

kb
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Kent. I sent you a pm. Check it out When you get a chance. Thanks
Dobyns Rods
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

Well i found a absolute diamond always stored indoors climate controled on carpet (serious) this guy had a 3000 sq foot game room man cave.its a 2002 205 with a low hour 225 optimax all in prestine condition,im super excited! its to bad i have to park it outside.time for a bcustom to the ground full cover.
kb

Post by kb »

Great that you found a good used boat. Still a good idea if the boat has been sitting without much use to have it checked by a reputable Mercury dealer....check the fuel lines and make sure they are updated and no internal breakdown going on with our crappy fuel, lower unit should be checked and water pump impeller should be checked or replaced. Make sure you are running the proper oil and don't scrimp on it!

When we buy a used boat that hasn't had a bunch of use and all of sudden start using it every weekend things can break down.......spend the money to have the motor and trailer gone thru and it will save you money in the long run............

Congrats on the new boat!
kb
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

Yea thanks motor was just all serviced and checked out perfect thanks!
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Kent's right, don't just focus on the boat and motor. Have the trailer checked out. Look at the frame and axles for any obvious cracks, kinks or bends. Check the springs for broken or missing leaves, broken or worn shackles. Tires are obvious, they should have good tread with no weather checks. Have the wheel bearings repacked, even if they have Bearing Buddy's. Check the electrical wiring and lights. If it has brakes, have them checked out. If it has surge brakes, check that the over-ride works, otherwise you won't be able to back up without a lot of trouble. Finally, have someone else tow it a couple of miles while you follow behind to see if it tracks straight and true. If it runs sideways like a crab, you have some alignment issues. Hope this helps
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
goodwin clint

Post by goodwin clint »

Hi guys, just wanted to say a few things about Triton Boats if it may help you in your boat purchase. I became a Triton Boats pro staff member in October 2013 and my very first Triton Boat I ordered is a 2014 19 xs elite with s 225 pro xs Merc. I have had them all over the years and never thought you would find a better ride than a Champion. Well the new Tritons offers a lot more that include a awesome ride in rough water and speed that cant be touched. I fish some team events with one of the top bass elite pros who have made some awesome comments about the Triton boat that includes the ride speed and layout. If any of you are in the Colorado river area and would like to take a ride let me know. But I will say you cant go wrong with a Triton, Ranger, or Skeeter (plus a used champ) good luck
Louie

Post by Louie »

I have a 2003 Ranger and love it. One thing to be aware of with a used Ranger is the trailer issues. I think it is from 2006-2009. They went to a different supplier for the hubs had have had a lot of issues. Call C&C marine to verify the years to look out for. I know people that have been towed more than once in a 2006 trailer. My next boat will still be a Ranger and they have gone back to the original supplier for the trailer hubs.
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

I have an 07 Triton 20X2 with a Merc proXS 250. I love it. It is actually one of Kent Browns old boats.
Not the one he fell out of either ;) I had a pretty successful year last year in it so that should tell the tournament capabilities it has. I do like Rangers. And if I had to say there was a 1-2 in bass boats it would be Triton & Ranger. Used Rangers do hold their value good which means if your buying used you will pay full price for it just as you do a new one. I think a Triton holds there value good as well. Having fished several Pro Ams last year the Average comment was how much my co-anglers liked my Triton. How well it handled the rough water and how well it fished from the back. I can tell you that fishing from the front is outstanding as well. I can fit a million Rods in the lockers and more tackle than I need comfortably. I have had no issues with gauges or wiring and the boat looks clean ( even though I don't wash it as much as I should)
Live wells work great and have held several 30lb+ limits and has held 20-30lb limits per side with no dead fish. I think Ranger has a more "Legendary" name but Triton is definitely an equal boat. Best bet is to just find a couple Tritons & Rangers for sale. Check em out. If you like the lay outs ect.... Take em both for test drives. If your in the Clear Lake area and want to fish with me hit me up on WestSideBass.com my screen name is BMX. If you want more info on Tritons contact Mark or Kent @Gone Fishing Marine in Dixon or Rangers contact Wade. @MarineUnlimited in Petaluma.
But I would reccomending a Triton to anybody looking for a great boat at a reasonable price.
BMX Mike
procast

Post by procast »

I have been in many of the above mentioned boats and with out a doubt preferred the Ranger 520 series (not the fastest but great in rough water). With any used purchase, maintenance/service is paramount. Find a clean well maintained boat that wasn't "pushed to the limit every time out", acceptable electronic and take it for a spin. Don't take the sellers word on service, have them produce proof, then take it to your mechanic of choice. Finally, the rangers from 2005-2008 did have some axle problem as well as trailer issues, but the newer models seems to be corrected. In ending, I have a 2004 Ranger DVX (dual console)(dual axle) 225 evinrude for sale, PM is interested in a test ride. John