Trolling motor Hold Down/lock system ?

norcalracer

Trolling motor Hold Down/lock system ?

Post by norcalracer »

I run a Motor Guide Trolling motor, the only lock down is the standard lock. Any body using other systems or additiona systems? i seen the troll lock system looks pretty sturdy. My motor just moves quite abit more so the shaft and lower end.The only other idea is to use the rod saver velcro strap around the shaft. Any other set ups or ideas thanks?
Big Buddy

Re: Trolling motor Hold Down/lock system ?

Post by Big Buddy »

Not exactly sure what it's called but On a lot of trolling motors I have seen a little stabilizer or support arm the goes from the motor to the deck to help it from bouncing around when not in use.
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

have never had a problem using the Velcro strap..
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

mine does have the stabilizer foot at the head unt it stays put pretty good its the shaft and motor end i worry about
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Brian D got it right with that reply. I've had a lot of time spent running nasty water and the RMC lock down is a rock solid investment. I've seen trolling motors get bounced off completely and sent flying between the driver and the passenger and right on over the big motor. Thank god it cleared their heads. As far as I know it's still at the bottom of Clear Lake.The strap completely undid its self from the rough water as the standard bounce post only kept the motor from a down force not a upward one. You can still use the strap to keep the head (Prop area) secure and add the RMC to the other end.
It also saves the bow from getting cracks at the base of the trolling motor mounting area as it becomes so solid.Watching that trolling motor bounce up is not a good site.wears a hole in the carpet and used to scare the crap outta me but not anymore. Pretty easy install with the measurement of the attachment space area being the most important before ordering. I will say to check your cord clearance while deploying your motor as you don't want any interference with that.