DIY'er Needs EFI Help!

cruizer

DIY'er Needs EFI Help!

Post by cruizer »

I have 96 Mercury EFI. Problem #1when lowering motor and makes contact with trim pistons is starts to make squeak all the way down and up. Problem #2 in March while running around motor kinda did a stumble or hicup for a quick nano second. Then next day in a tourney after 2 hours of fishing the Tract had a hard time starting it but finally started after 5 minutes of trying. Later that day for weigh in it started hit throttle and it would barely move. Finally after 5 minutes it jumped and took off like it should.Changed plugs and fuel filter but still,having problem but more often now. Friend told me could be primer bulb cause I used a Walmart one instead of OEM one. Any help,would be appreciated.
Mitch

Re: DIY'er Needs EFI Help!

Post by Mitch »

Could be a crack in the fuel lines allowing air and loosing prime. I'd replace the fuel line and primer bulb to start. Also could be a bad coil.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
scott h

Post by scott h »

If you haven't updated your fuel lines that would be a good start, the ethanol in today's gas eats them up.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
hydro

Post by hydro »

Power trim squeal sounds the pump has an issue . Pull your engine cowling and check all of your engine ground wires for corrosion and verify they are tight . Also pull apart the main engine connector going to the ECU and look for corrosion on the pins and make sure the connector is tight . sometimes the locking ring that holds the connector together will crack and not hold both plug ends together firmly .
jg

Post by jg »

My 95 was doing the hard to run thing. Mine was caused by cracks in the fuel fill hoses. It was not allowing the fuel system to work correctly.
cruizer

Post by cruizer »

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to do all my lines this week.
merc1997

Post by merc1997 »

to answer your first problem, you need to grease the roller ball on the ends of your trim rods.

your next issue might be hard to track down. first thing to do is turn on the key in a quiet place, and make sure the electric pump is running, and gets up to pressure and shuts off. since one time it took five minutes of trying, was the fuel pump actually working. can be intermittent no fire to fuel pump. next, fuel lines can look good, but be deteriorated on the inside. most of this is caused by ethnol. as far as filters on an efi, they not only have a water separator with a red warning light, but there is also a metal screen inside the fuel line going to the electric pump. some of those have been removed and thrown away, but many do not even know there is one there.

as far as fire being an issue, coils come to mind, but it runs fine at times. coils do not come and go.

bo
CoralSteve

Post by CoralSteve »

I had a terrible time tracking down a rough running condition on my 200 efi... ultimately I found it was the stator. The stator in the efi can be seen with a flashlight under the flywheel. Check for any burnt or charred windings (should all be nice copper wire). A heat soak could be causing it to have a problem and when it cools enough, it starts and runs just fine.