Castaic Lake fishing

SpookFreak

Castaic Lake fishing

Post by SpookFreak »

Anyone have any info on the fishing there. The lake is like 60' down and suppose to go to 80' by September. Some of the back coves are dry and a lot of the main lake humps are showing.
I went last Sunday morning and only caught 2 small bass. I heard Saturday was much better.
It seemed like the bass were out in open water and suspended because they were not up on the points I was fishing. I was also throwing in 20 to 30 feet. I was cranking and drop shotting and split shotting with small robo's and texas rig.
Anyone have any advice on how to fish the lake under these circumstances.
Thanks
TeamBeefmaster

Re: Castaic Lake fishing

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

tough bite, some people are catching some decent fish. the reaction bite can be hit or miss. lake is about +70 ft low and dropped a bunch in the last 2 weeks. Watch out for the new hazards.
coachkevm

Post by coachkevm »

I work up at the lake part time and the water is dropping 1ft a day and is down around 80 ft since January. I hear the same thing as has been mentioned...hit or miss on reaction baits, fish in shallow water and deeper water etc. I am sure that with the water dropping daily that it has the fish all messed up and not sure what to do. The last time I fished I caught fish in 1 ft - 20 ft. of water. You just have to bounce around and find them and what they want that particular day.
Good Luck!!
Kevin
Pink Fishing, Crossed Industries, TackleWorkz, Shredfin Fishing, P250, Picasso, IRod, TCHG, BoatEFX, Bioenno Power, Spearpoint Hooks, TH Marine

Phil. 4:13
I can do all things through Christ the Lord who strengthens me.
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

I would suggest fishing the Dick Rig (has other names). Take your favorite worm or a zoom finesse worm in green pumpkin or green pumpkin candy or watermelon candy red flake, put a nail weight in the head of the worm, use 6 pound test and fish 0-15 feet. Most strikes will occur on the fall or while skaking the worm back to the boat. If you don't catch fish on this then they are not biting. Also go here http://www.navionics.com and study the lake and contours.

The Wanabepro
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Ricky,
How do I open a topo map of Castaic on that link?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

mark poulson wrote:Ricky,
How do I open a topo map of Castaic on that link?
Click on the WebApp link from the main page.

http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

Zoom in and enjoy. Ain't technology kewel?
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

As Brian has already said you can log onto http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp (free) and zoon in and out. Additionally you can purchase the boating app or app for your phone or tablet and get that level of detail anywhere you are.

Click on the SonarChart function by clicking the button on the left middle side of the screen.
The Wanabepro
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Thanks Ricky.
I've lived in SoCal my whole life, and fished both the ocean and the fresh most of it, and I still never get tired of seeing the maps of the sea and lake bottoms!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

It's normally referred to as a nail weight rig.
Don't over look darts when the water is dropping.
Tom