Shimano rods

MB916

Shimano rods

Post by MB916 »

Does anyone know why the stores in Northern California are pretty much out of shimano crucials, even out of shimano rods for the most part. Broke a crucial spinning rod last week and needed to exchange it, fishermans warehouse in Stockton and sac are a all out if crucials along with most shimano rods. Guns fishing and other stuff in Vacaville are all out crucial spinning rods, even tackle warehouses pickings are slim. had to send in the broken one through fishermans warehouse, they said best case scenario is 4-6 weeks. Ordered a new one from tackle warehouse, which I am happy with. I guess what I am asking is does anyone know if shimano is redoing the crucial lineup or just back ordered.
bantam1

Re: Shimano rods

Post by bantam1 »

The rods are currently on backorder.
jonibonit

Post by jonibonit »

This is a great post here loving article good color your site i read it i enjoy this blog.

coastal export
shoes
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

I'm hearing from our local Tackle stores here in San Diego that Shimano is coming out with a new Crucial rod, any truth to this? I know ICast is right around the corner so kinda hoping that Calais reels and Crucials rods would make a comeback. All our stores are out except some of the shorter or very light weight stuff and no refills coming soon, and none in the stores for quite awhile now. According to the tackle store I talk with.
Shop local to keep them in business first and when all else fails, then the online stores.
Don't hate the Player, hate the game!!!
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

This is a great post here loving article good color your site i read it i enjoy this blog.

coastal export
shoes

And your post is a great wallpaper cheese platter. We enjoy your shoes! A dingo ate my baby!
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The Antares is the new Calais. There will no longer be a Calais model reel offered.
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

So I went to my local tackle store today to return a Cumara rod I broke fishing Sunday. I find out now Shimano doesn't warranty the rods over the counter anymore that I now have to ship the rod to them and then they decide why it broke and how much it will cost me to replace it. I was shocked because the rod has a LIFE TIME Warranty to be replaced. I was told it could cost me between $30-$80 to replace it plus shipping, but it's up to Shimano. So I trying now to figure out what the LIFE TIME warranty means. I sure if I pushed it they would just replace it since that has been the standard they set. Anyone else having this issue?
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

This is not correct. First the lifetime warranty covers against material and manufacturer defects. It is not a no questions asked free replacement if the rod fails.

The rod will need to be shipped to us for evaluation. There are no additional fees attached to the rod once it has been received. It will either be replaced under warranty, or if the rod is determined to not be a warranty failure then we will not replace the rod.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... ranty.html
ronsmart

Post by ronsmart »

Per the link provided by bantam1 : "All warranty requests must be accompanied by a
valid dated sales receipt". I have never before had to provide a sales receipt in order to
have a Shimano rod replaced. In all the years that I have had Shimano rods ( and reels) I have
only had to replace 3 rods and was able to do that over the counter at a tackle shop. It's one
of the reasons I stayed with Shimano. I can't imagine many fishermen saving sales receipts for
their fishing gear. Not many people I have talked to are happy with Shimano over this. Guess
it's time to look at other options.
Is the plug in ?
whazup

Post by whazup »

ronsmart wrote:Per the link provided by bantam1 : "All warranty requests must be accompanied by a
valid dated sales receipt". I have never before had to provide a sales receipt in order to
have a Shimano rod replaced. In all the years that I have had Shimano rods ( and reels) I have
only had to replace 3 rods and was able to do that over the counter at a tackle shop. It's one
of the reasons I stayed with Shimano. I can't imagine many fishermen saving sales receipts for
their fishing gear. Not many people I have talked to are happy with Shimano over this. Guess
it's time to look at other options.
Likewise, I bought my Shimano rods in large part because of the warranty. I have had one rod replaced free except for a handling fee. If they are changing their warranty, especially on rods already purchased, then I too will start looking around.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

This rod is 2 years old, I have no idea where the receipt is. Shimano needs to rethink there over the counter return policy or many others will find new options.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

If Shimano make good enough rods, their warranty change won't be a deal breaker. If they are just the same as others, they'll lose sales. So, without the warranty incentive, Shimano will have to make rods that are clearly superior at the same price point to keep their market share.
No one wants to pay more for the same or lesser product.

I put my receipts for my reels in their reel boxes, and put the on a shelf in the garage.
Maybe I'll have to do the same with my rods.
But I am fishing mainly Dobyns and Powell rods now, and haven't broken a rod in years.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

We eliminated the over the counter warranty due to abuse and misuse of the program. Rods were being replaced that were not warranty related failures. We have taken the entire process in house again. You can send the rods in for evaluation. We will allow you to cut the rod in half to avoid oversize shipping charges as well.
whazup

Post by whazup »

If a business model is working, and my customers are happy and are spreading the word, I guess I don't understand changing that model.
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

This was due to several rods being replaced under "warranty" that were not warranty failures. The rod warranty was not unconditional. This is a common misconception for any product with a limited lifetime warranty. The rods are covered against material and manufacturer defects. It does not cover sword fighting, smashed in a tail gate, etc.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Understand, but who set the precedent that became the norm? Seems to me Shimano created their own monster. Not arguing, you know what you have to do to stay competitive. On the other hand, knowing of your replacement policy was a factor in several of my own purchases. Now the field is level.....
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

Ok I understand that the WARRANTY says must have receipt to have the rod exchanged, but you must remember this was not the policy before and many of us no longer have the receipt as in my case. Shimano did take rods back over the counter no questions asked and should warranty all rods purchased prior to August 1, 2014 with or without the receipt. If you want to change the rules after the fact that's fine, or if you did change the rods, then use the new policy, but if you continue to force us to produce receipts then you will have lost many loyal customers.
I use only Shimano reels and most of my rods are Shimano. To be told now that I need a receipt to have my rod returned is not right plus I have none of them. Bantam please share this with you're superiors as I'm sure they have heard or have been told this has not gone over smoothly at all. I for one will not be replacing my rods with Shimano, that's 22 high end rods I will be buying from another source in 2015. Reel will be replaced in 2016 and not with Shimano. Customer service is key and to change the rules after the fact is wrong.
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

Our warranty policy always required a receipt even for the rods covered with a limited lifetime warranty. This was in print on the warranty card on the rod and on our website. Here is what was listed on the website for several years:

Shimano Rod - Limited Lifetime Warranty

As used herein, “Shimano” will mean “Shimano American Corporation” with respect to United States warranty claims and “Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE” with respect to Canadian warranty claims. Shimano and Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE warrant to the original retail purchaser that this rod will be free from non-conformities in materials and workmanship. Shimano's sole obligation under this Limited Lifetime Warranty is to repair or replace, at Shimano's option, a non-conforming rod at no cost to the original retail purchaser other than the cost of packing, insuring, and shipping the rod to Shimano. This Limited Lifetime Warranty will be considered VOID if the rod is found to have been subjected to repairs not authorized by Shimano, or if it has been modified, neglected, improperly maintained, misused, abused, or the appearance of the product reveals damage by your failure to provide proper maintenance.

To request warranty repairs on a United States warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid, to Shimano or return it to the retailer that it was purchased from. To request warranty repairs on a Canadian warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid to Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE.. All warranty requests must be accompanied by a valid dated sales receipt and a brief note describing the difficulty you are experiencing with the rod in as much detail as possible.

Rods that are repaired or replaced by Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE under the terms of this Limited Lifetime Warranty will be shipped back to you with Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE paying the return shipping charges. Retailer and wholesaler outlets are not required to perform warranty repairs or exchanges on behalf of Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE, nor are they authorized to modify this warranty in any way.

THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO OR COVER ANY DAMAGE TO THE ROD NOT RESULTING FROM A NON-CONFORMITY IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP; ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE OR TAMPERING WITH THE ROD BY OTHER THAN NORMAL USE OF THE ROD; OR ANY NON-CONFORMITY OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM REPAIRS PERFORMED OTHER THAN BY SHIMANO OR AN AUTHORIZED SHIMANO SERVICE PROVIDER.

Shimano Rod - One Year Warranty

As used herein, “Shimano” will mean “Shimano American Corporation” with respect to United States warranty claims and “Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE” with respect to Canadian warranty claims. Shimano and Shimano Canada Ltd./ LTÉE warrants to the original retail purchaser that this rod will be free from non-conformities in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. During this period Shimano's sole obligation under this Limited One Year Warranty is to repair or replace, at Shimano's option, a non-conforming rod at no cost to the original retail purchaser other than the cost of packing, insuring, and shipping the rod to Shimano. This Limited One Year Warranty will be considered VOID if the rod is found to have been subjected to repairs not authorized by Shimano, or if it has been modified, neglected, improperly maintained, misused, abused, or the appearance of the product reveals damage by your failure to provide proper maintenance.

To request warranty repairs on a United States warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid, to Shimano. To request warranty repairs on a Canadian warranty claim, send your rod, postage prepaid to Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE. All warranty requests must be accompanied by a valid dated sales receipt and a brief note describing the difficulty you are experiencing with the rod in as much detail as possible.

Rods that are repaired or replaced by Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE under the terms of this Limited One Year Warranty will be shipped back to you with Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE paying the return shipping charges. Retailer and wholesaler outlets are not required to perform warranty repairs or exchanges on behalf of Shimano or Shimano Canada Ltd. / LTÉE, nor are they authorized to modify this warranty in any way.

THIS LIMITED ONE YEAR WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO OR COVER ANY DAMAGE TO THE ROD NOT RESULTING FROM A NON-CONFORMITY IN MATERIAL OR WORKMANSHIP; ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE OR TAMPERING WITH THE ROD BY OTHER THAN NORMAL USE OF THE ROD; OR ANY NON-CONFORMITY OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM REPAIRS PERFORMED OTHER THAN BY SHIMANO OR AN AUTHORIZED SHIMANO SERVICE PROVIDER.

Limited Lifetime Warranty Rods
Shimano will warranty the following rods. However, if they come to us appearing to be broken in a car door, look like they have been used excessively, or we were informed by the customer that it was broken in an accident, then Shimano will NOT warranty them.

ATL, CL "A" Seriec, CLC/CLS, CNC/CNS, CPC/CPS "A" & "B" Series, CRC/CRS, CSC/CSS, CUC/CUS, CVC/CVS, IGFA, PCF,
SFS, TDR w/2 digit numbered models, TEC/TES, TFC/TFS, TLA, TLC/ TLS/ULC, TLI/TLR/TLT, TMC/TMS, TRC/TRS, TSC/TSS, TVC/TVS, TZC/TZS, ULC, V-RODS, VTS/VTC

If it is not on this list then Shimano will not warranty the rod without a valid receipt showing it to be still under one year and a new appearance.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Bantam, given all that, why did Shimano violate it's own policy for so many years. And I guarantee you more people heard about the replacement policy (OTC) than read it. You (Shimano) obviously aren't concerned and I am small potatoes, but I have bought my last Shimano rod. Not so much because of the change in policy, but because of the changing horses in the middle of the stream. I have had a rod replaced, and have bought others because of Shimano's OTC practice. Oh well, I am sure Shimano will be fine. Thanks for coming on here to explain.
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

We will still honor the OTC warranty for rods that were purchased during that program period. How it takes place has changed. The dealer can take the rod in and send it to us for inspection. They will not provide you with a rod from their inventory.

The research we have conducted from over 30 years in this industry showed us that most true defective rods fail within the first 30-90 days of use. With a one year warranty you will still have coverage if the rod is defective.
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

Bantam, can I do it without the receipt? Cause that is they the way OTC worked, no receipt was ever brought in to my local store if I had a broken rod. So if your now saying we can then why wasn't my rod replaced when I sent it in? The reason I was given was I didn't send in the receipt. Like I said it never was an issue before now it is. And if you say yea I can send it I will be real upset cause I threw the rod away.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

My friend took his broken shimano rod with a "lifetime warranty" to fishemens warehouse in SAC which is supposedly the shimano headquarters for the area and they were not able to help him. He went in with a broken rod, and left with a broken rod. Not how it used to be. Pretty disapointing.
Juanito

Post by Juanito »

I hear that! I have been a Shimano fan through & through but im starting to understand why people are going with other brands . I had same problem at F-W in Manteca was told 4 weeks its going on 8 an they still have no idea when . why not just give the person the option of store credit or exchange ? Shimano will still take care of them, im really disappointed. I liked my Cumara rod till it snapped on a hookset I though those rods were too thin towards the tip now their gonna change them up ? really whats next ? its too bad !
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

Big Daddy TR21 wrote:Bantam, can I do it without the receipt? Cause that is they the way OTC worked, no receipt was ever brought in to my local store if I had a broken rod. So if your now saying we can then why wasn't my rod replaced when I sent it in? The reason I was given was I didn't send in the receipt. Like I said it never was an issue before now it is. And if you say yea I can send it I will be real upset cause I threw the rod away.
Certain rod models require a receipt. These are the models that are covered by a one year warranty. Now that you have disposed of the rod there is nothing we can really do. We would need the rod in hand to determine why it failed.

CJ-

The new policy requires the dealer to send the rod to us. They can take the rod OTC but it still needs to be evaluated by someone here.
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

Unread postby bantam1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:21 am

Big Daddy TR21 wrote:Bantam, can I do it without the receipt? Cause that is they the way OTC worked, no receipt was ever brought in to my local store if I had a broken rod. So if your now saying we can then why wasn't my rod replaced when I sent it in? The reason I was given was I didn't send in the receipt. Like I said it never was an issue before now it is. And if you say yea I can send it I will be real upset cause I threw the rod away.

Certain rod models require a receipt. These are the models that are covered by a one year warranty. Now that you have disposed of the rod there is nothing we can really do. We would need the rod in hand to determine why it failed

Well the model I sent in was a CUC-X72M which is under you LIFETIME warranty. After I found out that I needed to send it in myself from my local tackle store, I called Shimano and they told me I could cut it up and ship it to Irvine which I did. About a week later it comes back saying I needed a receipt that I no longer have. Look all I wanted to have happen was one rod that broke under pressure from fighting a fish to be replaced. In the last 15 years of supporting Shimano this is the second rod I have ever replaced. If this is what we are going to get to replace a rod you should expect lots of backlash. This is not good customer service, Shimano allowed over the counter returns with no questions asked and no receipt required. You changed the rules after the fact. Shimano should allow all those older rods regardless if they have a receipt or not to be returned since that was THERE policy written or unwritten.

John
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

The policy has always required a receipt. We were just very lenient with the policy. The warranty was never "no questions asked". This is part of the reason that we had to make a change and eliminate the OTC warranty.

We are now requiring the receipt for all warranty evaluations. This started on August 1, 2014.

Send me a PM with your name and info. I will pass this along to the CS manager to see what we can do.