Lake Mead Update!!!

AZRangerboy

Lake Mead Update!!!

Post by AZRangerboy »

I just got back from two days of pre-practice at Lake Mead for the upcoming US Open and the water level is definitely 30ft. from last year. All of us here in Arizona are very excited about this year’s event and practice has begun here already. I launched at Callville Bay for the two days and it was no problem. You can currently launch 4 boats at a time but the end of the low water ramp is near. That is a mile walk to the upper parking lot if you don’t get a spot at the lower parking lot that only holds about 50 trucks with trailers. I heard that they just dredged the channel leading into Boulder bay but it is still shallow. Hemmingway ramp is not recommended unless you want to get wet but Echo Bay and Temple Bar ramps are still in use. The peninsula at Echo Bay is where the ramp is along with a dirt road to get out there. Temple Bar would be a good spot to go check out since the drive is easier with the newer road around the Hoover Dam and there are rooms available to stay during practice days.

I drove my Ranger Z521C with a Mercury 250 Pro XS from one end of the lake to the other to get an idea of the new lake elevation. It took me 30 minutes to go from Callville Bay to the end of Overton and 40 minutes to get to the end of Greggs Basin. Just gives you an idea of how small the lake is getting. I really relied on my Lowrance GPS with my Navionics chip to help navigate around the lake. They are a lot of shallow reefs out there to watch out for and the water color makes it more difficult to see them. I would recommend marking those reefs with a hazard icon on your GPS to help remind you where they are during the tournament days. As some reefs maybe great locations where bass tend to relate, it makes more sense to find them with your locators instead of your lower unit if you catch my drift.

The lake looks alive with plenty of small bait fish and small stripers catching them all around. The grass is not as abundant this year as in prior years but so is the lack of trees in sight. I noticed areas that I have done well in the past have now turned into flats that are non productive. It really shows you how the lake is changing and shrinking with the lack of water. Still a great fishery and I look forward in this being a great tournament especially with the strong field this year. With the field near full, they are only a few spots available so it is still not too late to sign up for one of the “Biggest” events here on the West Coast. I took a few pictures while I was at Lake Mead so hope this helps give all you anglers an idea of the current conditions. Hope to see you all there and tight lines!

Joe Uribe Jr.
Lake Mead picture #1.jpg
Lake Mead picture #1.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Callville Bay Launch Ramp
Lake Mead picture #2.jpg
Lake Mead picture #2.jpg (93.36 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Lower parking lot at Callville Bay
Lake Mead picture #3.jpg
Lake Mead picture #3.jpg (94.62 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
The end of Overton Arm!
mark poulson

Re: Lake Mead Update!!!

Post by mark poulson »

Joe,
Do you think they'll have a shuttle from the upper parking lot?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
AZRangerboy

Post by AZRangerboy »

They should have volunteers at Callville Bay with golf carts to shuttle people to and from. They better have those batteries charged up on those golf carts cause it is a long haul. I may take my mountain bike with me during practice to go from the parking lot to the dock. LOL......
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for the update Joe! I am getting excited for this derby as well. Good thing my Alienware computer with 128 GB RAM and hi-end NVidia 830Ti graphics card rendered those awesome photos you took that showed incredible detail on my dual 29" Samsung Monitors with 1 ms response time. 8) :wink: Jes funnin.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:Thanks for the update Joe! I am getting excited for this derby as well. Good thing my Alienware computer with 128 GB RAM and hi-end NVidia 830Ti graphics card rendered those awesome photos you took that showed incredible detail on my dual 29" Samsung Monitors with 1 ms response time. 8) :wink: Jes funnin.
Brian,
For those of us with "experienced eyes", who need all the help we can get, is it possible to hook a sonar unit to some kind of a larger flat screen, so the picture is big enough for us to see? I'm not talking about a 42" Sony, but something in the 14" range.
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mark, many of the newer units are finally able to be viewed on phones or tablets via WiFi or Bluetooth. Raymarine is one of the more advanced units in that area. Lowrance units are just starting to catch up.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

AZRangerboy wrote:I drove my Ranger Z521C with a Mercury 250 Pro XS from one end of the lake to the other to get an idea of the new lake elevation. I really relied on my Lowrance GPS with my Navionics chip to help navigate around the lake.
You forgot to mention what brand of truck, underpants, toothpaste and gasoline you used that day! :D
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Brian D. wrote:Raymarine is one of the more advanced units in that area. Lowrance units are just starting to catch up.
A lot of saltwater captains who fish the freshwater during their downtime have always chuckled over our Lowrance units!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:Mark, many of the newer units are finally able to be viewed on phones or tablets via WiFi or Bluetooth. Raymarine is one of the more advanced units in that area. Lowrance units are just starting to catch up.
Brian,
Are any of the tablets waterproof enough to take on a boat?
CLEAN AND DRY
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Lake Mead from the top of the old ramp. People better learn out to adjust their Lowrance electronics with their Navionics SonarCharts: http://www.navionics.com www.teamblingfishing.com

The Wanabepro
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mark, most tablets are not waterproof without any type of case. Best ones out there are Otter and Lifecase.
jg

Post by jg »

I launched out of south cove sat morning with little problems. Lots of boats running around wrapped and unwrapped. I took the grandkids catfishing, I did manage to sneak in a little bass fishing couple on spinnerbaits and they were smacking a rico but not really wanting to eat it.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:Mark, most tablets are not waterproof without any type of case. Best ones out there are Otter and Lifecase.
Thanks Brian.
CLEAN AND DRY