Fish Handling from Tourneys

2833-34497

Fish Handling from Tourneys

Post by 2833-34497 »

I have a question and since I don't tourney fish maybe I'm wrong.Today I saw folks releasing bass from a tournament Redwood Empire Bass Club had held at Lake Sonoma. As they where releasing numerous people had a hard time getting any of the 5 bass limit they had from wanting to lay on their side, 1 of which was a nice sized fish (2 fish I believe one person gave up on). I noticed they had the fish in the black weigh-in bags and had driven down from the weigh-in from the upper parking lot. Other boats came down and backed their boats back in and took the fish out of the live-well and they seem fresh and ready to take off. I didn't see how a couple other in the bags did, but all the boat released fish seemed in good condition compared to the weight-in bagged ones brought down.
Is it really a good idea to have fish in a weigh-in bag for however long weighing-in takes then spend another almost 5 mins driving them back down to the water to release? Shouldn't someone being overseeing the condition of the releasing fish to educate tourney anglers if improved handling skills are needed?
Earlier this year the lake had a tourney and someone told me they saw some nice bass dead at the ramp after the tourney was over, so seeing this handling 1st hand this time makes it seems like somethings not being done right or monitored IMHO :cry:
clearlakeoutdoors

Re: Fish Handling from Tourneys

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

per ca dfw 3 min max in a bag without extra areation
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

clearlakeoutdoors wrote:per ca dfw 3 min max in a bag without extra areation
It was exceeded then IMHO and even the ski boats at the dock and other watching were commenting on the condition of those fish being released because it seemed like forever trying to get them to swim off without going on their sides, so not a good image for fish handling.
Again I've heard people talk about it, but after seeing it, it's sad the shape they were in. Again those released from a live-well were in good shape, so I'd think they'd do something more required in those lines, because transporting them still in the bags after weight-in took too long and did the damage IMHO.
propgun

Post by propgun »

Track down the Tournament Director and complain to them and then if that doesn't work complain to DFW and see how fast they get on the problem. It is the responsibility of the TD as well as the fishermen to manage their fish. The o2 levels in a weight bag drop drastically and the water heats up faster, this is the reasons we have a 6 hour limit in the summer months on tournament fishing. Now if they were catching their fish in deep water then they needed to be needled to equal out the air in their systems. Either way sounds like very poor fish management on the tournament Director and the fisherman.
Ron Licari

www.peregrine250.com
http://www.theBBZ.com
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

sounds like the fish needed to be vented
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

Thanks all for the info!!
g-man

Post by g-man »

TeamBeefmaster wrote:sounds like the fish needed to be vented

In the heat, and they were prolly caught deep! Its exactly what it sounds like to me.
100% LL
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

One last question since equaling out the air system was brought up in this thread. I've never had to but what works better needling a fish or I saw on a Clear Lake video where they put a weight down a bass, lowered it and then lightly pulled it out once bass started moving good. Opinions on which is better for the bass?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Personally, I fizz fish through the mouth. For me, it's the simplest, most fool-proof method for on-the-water fizzing, because you can do it entirely in, or just above, the livewell, so it doesn't involve excessive handling of the fish, which can remove it's slime coat and further stress it.
There are those who say through the side is better, but I'm always afraid I'll miss the bladder that way, and kill the fish. Plus, having it on my thigh, or on the deck, removes the slime coat during the process.
As the weighmaster for a tournament trail, I saw a lot of fish that weren't fizzed because anglers were afraid they would kill the fish, so they let them float on their sides all day, which means they will suffer delayed mortality. They die after being released anyway.
I've seen the weights, and, no doubt, they work, but, especially in a tournament, just keeping a bass upright in the livewell doesn't relieve the pressure on it's internal organs from an over inflated swim bladder, which is fatal if left untreated.
Here's an illustration of where to insert the needle. Remember, you have to go through two membranes... the back of the throat, and then the air bladder itself.
needle_placement.jpg
needle_placement.jpg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
I recommend doing it in the livewell, underwater, so you can see the bubbles escape. I do it until the bubble stream starts to slow, but I don't completely deflate the air bladder the first time. Check on the fish after five minutes to see if it's able to swim okay, and needle it again if it's still floating.
Basically, the swim bladder is directly behind, and just above, the sphincter opening to the stomach. Stay just below the level of the two crushers, and just above the sphincter opening, and you'll do fine.
Many more fish die from not being fizzed than from mouth fizzing, if done right.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Good post Mark!

I believe the weight he was referring to was a torpedo type weight put into the fishes mouth which lowers them deep into the water to relieve the pressure. This method should be the least invasive assuming your fun fishing and not in a tournament where that won't be an option.

I think everyone should have a needle in the boat and know how to use it. Next time your at the tackle shop pick one up if you don't have one guys! Its pretty darn easy.
Last edited by Champion Jon on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

If you see me at the ramp or on the lake, I'll be happy to show you how.
CLEAN AND DRY
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

mark poulson wrote:Personally, I fizz fish through the mouth. For me, it's the simplest, most fool-proof method for on-the-water fizzing, because you can do it entirely in, or just above, the livewell, so it doesn't involve excessive handling of the fish, which can remove it's slime coat and further stress it.
There are those who say through the side is better, but I'm always afraid I'll miss the bladder that way, and kill the fish. Plus, having it on my thigh, or on the deck, removes the slime coat during the process.
As the weighmaster for a tournament trail, I saw a lot of fish that weren't fizzed because anglers were afraid they would kill the fish, so they let them float on their sides all day, which means they will suffer delayed mortality. They die after being released anyway.
I've seen the weights, and, no doubt, they work, but, especially in a tournament, just keeping a bass upright in the livewell doesn't relieve the pressure on it's internal organs from an over inflated swim bladder, which is fatal if left untreated.
Here's an illustration of where to insert the needle. Remember, you have to go through two membranes... the back of the throat, and then the air bladder itself.
needle_placement.jpg
I recommend doing it in the livewell, underwater, so you can see the bubbles escape. I do it until the bubble stream starts to slow, but I don't completely deflate the air bladder the first time. Check on the fish after five minutes to see if it's able to swim okay, and needle it again if it's still floating.
Basically, the swim bladder is directly behind, and just above, the sphincter opening to the stomach. Stay just below the level of the two crushers, and just above the sphincter opening, and you'll do fine.
Many more fish die from not being fizzed than from mouth fizzing, if done right.
Thanks Mark, this is good info I and others can benefit from that don't know. Thanks again Chris :D
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

Champion Jon wrote:Good post Mark!

I believe the weight he was referring to was a torpedo type weight put into the fishes mouth which lowers them deep into the water to relieve the pressure. This method should be the least invasive assuming your fun fishing and not in a tournament where that won't be an option.

I think everyone should have a needle in the boat and know how to use it. Next time your at the tackle shop pick one up if you don't have one guys! Its pretty darn easy.
Yes it was the torpedo type weight and I do fish for fun, but I do want to do what's best for the fish when needed, thanks again :!: :D
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

Simple option would have been to offer to help or let them know they should seek help in reviving their fish.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
2833-34497

Post by 2833-34497 »

crawdaddy wrote:Simple option would have been to offer to help or let them know they should seek help in reviving their fish.
I didn't even think of fizzing them because I've never had to do it, so I'm learning through this on that also. I normally don't fish past 25' maybe 30' once in a while. As for any other help since he had a couple friends just standing and watching, and I was working on getting out of others boats way wanting to launch or take out it didn't cross my mind to be honest. I'll also say I've learned some stuff here also which would help me be of more help next time, because I'd definitely ask if they were caught deep also next time. I hate seeing any fish in that condition yet alone what looked like a ~7 lb fish.
Last edited by 2833-34497 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

No one is born experienced. We all learn as we go, so don't feel bad.
Like you said, you'll know for next time.
CLEAN AND DRY
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

Ive had largies caught in 16 ft die from not being fizzed. it varies, and it seems the quicker they come up the more they are impacted. When catching them deep (+30 ft) ill try to fight them really slow and allow their air bladders to adjust on the way up. Ive also seen bubbles from fish as they come up, suggesting they're stabilizing their air bladders. Horsing them up from the depths really negatively impacts them. In my experience largies are way more susceptible to this as smallies seem much more able to cope with the event.

I always carry two needles, sometimes the inside of the needle gets gunked up and it wont work. Thee needles just need a little cleaning and they're back to normal. My preferred technique is the side of the fish, and to hold them in the livewell to watch the air fizz out. **note** you can do this over the side of your boat, but not advised during a tournament... once after a day of culling i lost my 5th fish cause he "woke up", and bolted. lost my cull cord and all. thankfully he was replaced in the last few mins of the tourney. :mrgreen:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Here's where to get the tool, and a video of how to use it:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/bends_me ... bmdnp.html
CLEAN AND DRY