Good Book about the History and Backgroud of the Delta

R. Duzac

Good Book about the History and Backgroud of the Delta

Post by R. Duzac »

Can someone point me to a book or two about the creation of the Delta and History and things that have taken place there.
I've heard lots of stories about the John Wayne movies and things like the 5 fingers how they used to park PT boats in there, and I'm sure there is even more.
The reason I ask is I just took a guy fishing from midwest and I was telling some of these stories and I'm sure there are a whole lot more. When you think about it, it's a pretty cool place to fish with lots of history.

Thanks,
Rene
fish_food

Re: Good Book about the History and Backgroud of the Delta

Post by fish_food »

Erle Stanley Gardner (who authored the Perry Mason books and television scripts) was an avid Delta explorer and had written a few books on the topic. He spent a lot of working vacations on the Delta and kept his houseboat at Tiki Lagun. The old pictures and descriptons of the familiar locations are pretty great. You can find his books on ebay and used book dealers online.

Hal Schell's writings on the Delta are also good sources about the history and exploring the Delta. There are numerous local/small press books covering the history of the Delta--check your local museum to see what they may carry. Haggin Museum's gift shop (Stockton) may carry a few in-print titles. Many are out of print but they're easy to find online.
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

Thanks for the help. Erle Stanley Gardner books sound like what I'm looking for.

Rene
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

"Dawdling On The Delta" by Hal Schell.
There She Is!!!