Line recomendation for Swaver and 68 specials

Jmad328

Line recomendation for Swaver and 68 specials

Post by Jmad328 »

Newbie to the swimbait world. Have a Okuma 7'11 H and looking for a Lexa 300 or Luna 300 left hand but also wanted your advise on line for throwing those baits.

Will those reels work for what I want to do?

Thanks,
WB Staff

Re: Line recomendation for Swaver and 68 specials

Post by WB Staff »

Jmad328

Post by Jmad328 »

Awesome! Thanks for posting...
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Ish talks variations on line size for the S-Waver for Jmad328's question
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

hmm I wonder what Matt Allen would recommend? He did catch one or two donkeys this past year on the Swaver :) I fished it on 14#flurocarbon at Clear Lake past spring seemed to be about money to me. I wouldn't dream of 10lb tst for this bait, but hey I aint Ish.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Pretty sure he throws them on 65lb main line with a blood knot or double uni to a floro leader of 15-25lb test
eleetbass

Post by eleetbass »

I fish the S-waver on 12#-14# mono. The thing to keep in mind is it is a treble hook bait so the rod is very important; if your rod is too stiff you'll lose fish because they'll be able to get A LOT of leverage with that big heavy S-waver. I use the Wright & McGill S-Glass Deep Plus CB rod; works great for me, plenty of backbone with a soft tip and parabolic action so it keeps the fish pinned. Ultimately though, any good heavy crank bait rod will get the job done. Matt Allen throws the S-wavers on braid... I think 30#-50#, somewhere in there. He actually just put a video up on youtube describing the tackle and retrieves he uses:

I fish the 6" hudds on 17#-20# mono. Any heavy duty swimbait rod will get the job done. Again, I specifically use the Wright & McGill Pro Carbon Swimbait XL rod. Nice firm rod to really drive that top hook in. Sometimes I'll add a small Trokar drop shot or wide gap finesse hook to the tail as a stinger hook if they are nipping at the tail and not getting the bait all the way.

I like the mono because it has some stretch and allows the fish to get the bait further in it's mouth before I set the hook. As far as reels go.... get something lightweight. you don't want to be throwing swimbaits all day with a reel over about 8 ounces; your arm will just about fall off.
BK Ammenwerth

Post by BK Ammenwerth »

depending on the swimbait size, small baits like the 68 and waver168 your real isn't as important, you can get away with lighter line 12-20. But when you throw the bigger baits such as Deps 250, 8inch hudds, th 8-12 inch baits you need a high capacity reel, on the low end you need a 300 series reel. Long cast are critical on getting that big bite at times and it holding all that line makes that possible, as well as having the beef to grind all day.